+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: The Croft Epoch - A Tale of developing a MoFo of a pre amp..........

I'm Mark.

Thanks Jim,

Your wise words are always much appreciated

I'm Alan.

Hi Mark, there are a few common upgrades that can be applied to most valve based circuitry that can improve performance.

As indicated adding power supply regulation is a good move as it improves the 'loading' on a valve stage, providing a more stable environment for the valve to work under.
    There are other mods that can remove some or all of the non-linearity of frequency response of capacitors, particularly electrolytic types.

By far the best approach to improve performance is to engineer the valve circuitry to operate in the best linear fashion possible. All active devices, solid state or valve, have non linearities in their operating characteristics. By adding additional circuitry the operating conditions of a valve stage can be manipulated to force the valve to operate in a much more linear fashion, reducing distortion and giving a cleaner and more open sound.

I apply this approach in the valve/hybrid circuits I use.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Hi Mark, there are a few common upgrades that can be applied to most valve based circuitry that can improve performance.

As indicated adding power supply regulation is a good move as it improves the 'loading' on a valve stage, providing a more stable environment for the valve to work under.
    There are other mods that can remove some or all of the non-linearity of frequency response of capacitors, particularly electrolytic types.

By far the best approach to improve performance is to engineer the valve circuitry to operate in the best linear fashion possible. All active devices, solid state or valve, have non linearities in their operating characteristics. By adding additional circuitry the operating conditions of a valve stage can be manipulated to force the valve to operate in a much more linear fashion, reducing distortion and giving a cleaner and more open sound.

I apply this approach in the valve/hybrid circuits I use.
    Thanks Alan, That is all sensible sounding advice ......... and before I get totally out of my depth, I suppose the points that have been mentioned throw up a simple question from me (and I am half anticipating the answer) : is it cost driven criteria that prevents such 'improvements' being built into the pre-amps in the first place ?
    i.e. would a £600 unit double in price if it was built with such refinements ?

Another schoolboy question from me - if these elements are altered, is there a pay off elsewhere down the line - such that (say for instance) clarity is improved but bass is reduced or are we always improving the baseline unit ?

I don't always ask a stream of questions and these are probably the only over-riding queries that apply to the whole range of potential upgrades.

Thanks everyone.

I'm Andrew.

Croft now going to be potentially Firebottled!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    FrankenBottleCroft!

I'm Alan.

@ Mark. Generally the price will be more if the build is more complex, so simple answer is yes.

There isn't any payoff further down the line providing there isn't a bottleneck anywhere. Improvements to one stage need to be replicated in further stages as necessary.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    What you having done?

I'm Alan.

Secret, I'll make it up as I go along

Bigman80 Guest

Lol, fair enough.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Can you elaborate? I know what voltage regulation is, but I'm not sure what you mean by valve regulation.
    I was referring to the fact you can have preamp either valve regulated or non regulated. I believe fets can be used rather
    Than valves?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast