+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cables... advice on what digital cables to use

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by goraman View Post
    I was pointing to the cable specs as far as bandwith.
    But it is true all round connectors will be under 75 ohms.
    Amphonal makes some of the best commercial connectors for coax , I wish they did more for audio.
    There BNC stuff is really good.
    There's nothing to stop you using BNC coax connectors in place of RCA connectors.
    The oft quoted 75 ohms is of no relevance - it's not DC resistance. It's 75 ohms impedance, so only of relevance when you're dealing with frequencies far above what's considered to be those of human hearing range.
    Radio frequencies.

BNC connectors would give a good, tight connection on interconnects.
    A pain in the backside to fit, but a decent audio connector nonetheless.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm John.

Default Optical vs Coax

I've been following this interesting thread, but, as usual, got lost in the technical stuff a few posts in!
    It did get me thinking about optical vs coax though. I use two digital cables into my Roksan DAC; a Atlas coax from the cdp (£40) and a cheap optical (£5)from the DAB tuner. I decided on this set up after listening and swapping cables around and felt that the coax was - as mentioned in this discussion - darker sounding, so chose it for the cpd, which I listen to most. I didn't even consider buying a quality optical thinking they're all much of a muchness, but after reading the discussion maybe I should. Atlas do a toslink for about £40. Getting one of these would also make all my inter-connects the same model of the same brand. My questions are; is it worth spending the cash on presumably a better quality optical lead, and does it benefit overall SQ of the set up if all interconnects are by the same manufacturer, and the same model?
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Marantz CD6006/Cambridge 650T DAB
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp
    Atlas Element Integra Superior inter-connects
    Spendor SP1s(1988)/Van-Damme UP-LCOFC HiFi 4mm cable

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    There's nothing to stop you using BNC coax connectors in place of RCA connectors.
    The oft quoted 75 ohms is of no relevance - it's not DC resistance. It's 75 ohms impedance, so only of relevance when you're dealing with frequencies far above what's considered to be those of human hearing range.
    Radio frequencies.

BNC connectors would give a good, tight connection on interconnects.
    A pain in the backside to fit, but a decent audio connector nonetheless.
    As I understand the question is " Advice on what digital cable to use" Coax cable or optical cable remain the correct choices for consumers using digital cable
    http://audioworkshop.org/downloads/A...RFACEaes93.pdf

Deviation from impedance of 75 ohms including cable interfaces simply invites error known as jitter, as you are then moving away from the needed properties of coax
    BNC you are right happens to be a well designed coax cable interface.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234