+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast

Thread: Michael Fremer said :-

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    In terms of long hair, some guys can carry it off really well (in a ponytail).
    I always understood that the ‘pony tail’ took its name literally from the appendage of the same name on the animal.

The reason being that, if you lift either one up, there’s an arsehole underneath...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Grant.

the greeks wore them
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    the greeks wore them
    So do Ponies
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Chris.

I had to (pony tail) when doing food prep in my cafe.
    I wonder if it affected my listening.... like room dampeners etc.?(When not tied back)
    Chris.

I'm Dennis.

....and often tend to be single - that's the other crucial factor!

IME, many single men 'of a certain age', regardless of being 'boffins' or not, care little about their appearance, almost as if they've lost their self-esteem/self-respect. You always dressed well and took care of your appearance even when you were single, but I bet you'd agree that Happy has still been influential now in how you look

In terms of long hair, some guys can carry it off really well (in a ponytail) *IF*, and it's a BIG IF, they have thick, clean, shiny hair, and are under the age of 40. If those crucial boxes aren't ticked, however, then they can end up looking as stupid as the 'Friar Tuck' brigade!

Marco.
    I don't think it is fair to criticise the personal aesthetic choices of others, and not all seemingly poor presentations are a result of conscious choice, as alluded to re scientists. Surely it is wrong to value judge others' choices when they do not affect us in any way other than by infringing our personal aesthetic.

Dr Malcom Hawksford had a grey pony tail in '97 at the Ramada show, I thought he looked like a drug baron.

It is apparent to me that many people of my age and even younger seem to have lost self esteem and or self respect. I find it hard as a loner now, that I am older, and even more undesirable to the opposite sex, to not fall into the trap of resignation, and resultant relinquishing of control to the inevitable.

I have cut my own hair since '70, and remember well being in pubs in the 70s and having very negative comments about it, one girl saying that she would not be seem dead in it.
    (It looked like David Bowie's at the time of 'Z' on the face, and I even said to my girlfriend in '75 that I thought Bowie had copied it.)

It could be argued that a concern with appearance is superficial, and that people are liked for their underlying qualities. However I realise just how superficial many people are now that I'm even less interesting to the opposite sex; they don't seem to care about all the work one may have done developing oneself in many areas to be as good a person as possible. But they do express interest in inheriting my house.

I'm Steve.

I'd rather be completely bald than look like a tool.

Marco.
    With the exception of sweeping brushes, most tools are completely bald
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Maybe they have enough self-esteem/self respect not to care what anyone thinks about their appearance?
    Good point, I think I'll use that one

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Grant.

Bring liked by either sex is not really about dress/grooming , although it can help a lot. No, it's about personable charisma, charm and enough confidence not to look desparate
    Simple
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I don't think it is fair to criticise the personal aesthetic choices of others, and not all seemingly poor presentations are a result of conscious choice, as alluded to re scientists. Surely it is wrong to value judge others' choices when they do not affect us in any way other than by infringing our personal aesthetic.

Dr Malcom Hawksford had a grey pony tail in '97 at the Ramada show, I thought he looked like a drug baron.

It is apparent to me that many people of my age and even younger seem to have lost self esteem and or self respect. I find it hard as a loner now, that I am older, and even more undesirable to the opposite sex, to not fall into the trap of resignation, and resultant relinquishing of control to the inevitable.

I have cut my own hair since '70, and remember well being in pubs in the 70s and having very negative comments about it, one girl saying that she would not be seem dead in it.
    (It looked like David Bowie's at the time of 'Z' on the face, and I even said to my girlfriend in '75 that I thought Bowie had copied it.)

It could be argued that a concern with appearance is superficial, and that people are liked for their underlying qualities. However I realise just how superficial many people are now that I'm even less interesting to the opposite sex; they don't seem to care about all the work one may have done developing oneself in many areas to be as good a person as possible. But they do express interest in inheriting my house.

I wonder what Michael Fremer had to say on the subject?

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Bring liked by either sex is not really about dress/grooming , although it can help a lot. No, it's about personable charisma, charm and enough confidence not to look desparate
    Simple
    I just don't seem to get it right with women. Only the other day, I went into the mobile phone shop and asked the nice young lady to show me her Nokias and promptly got thrown out!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast