+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Denon DL-S1 or 304 or 103R cartridges

I'm Colin.

Default Wanted: Denon DL-S1 or 304 or 103R cartridges

Looking to any of these cartridges. Preferably a DL-S1 but all 3 considered

I'm Robert.

Item appears very good, 100% positive feedback too https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283764766842

Might be worth pinging them a message to engage with the seller, get a feel, ask a few questions ie: history and approx hours etc
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Colin.

Thanks for the heads up. I must say that’s a bit of a risk. A lot of money for a used cartridge with unknown hours! I remember when the DL-S1 was £400 from Japan, the DL304 was £170 and DL103 was £90, although Denon didn’t increase their cartridge prices for about 25 years at that time. They eventually went up, but that price is still higher than the DL-S1 ever was new!
    Perhaps I’d consider it if it was sealed and unused, but I can’t risk that much on a used cartridges. It’s an eBay Germany seller, so I guess the high price is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Item appears very good, 100% positive feedback too https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283764766842

Might be worth pinging them a message to engage with the seller, get a feel, ask a few questions ie: history and approx hours etc

I'm Robert.

Yeah I hear ya. I know they're quite rare now, so it's about waiting to see if a new one turns up, or as good as, somewhere.

Last one on eBay was early last month - went for similar money, but new, so they do/can show up https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABSOLUTEL...AAAOSwGnpeUw89
    My System:
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Colin.

Thanks for the info. That’s appreciated. Yeah as they are discontinued they are getting rarer in good shape or new. Although I haven’t tried it I think the DL-S1 is likely to be a cartridge I’d absolutely love. I had the DL304 many times (bought several when they cost £170) and loved the detailed and musical sound (although a bit on the thin and bright side) . If the S1 is similar to the 304 but with better bass and a fuller sound/more neutral tone (which it indeed was from the review I read) I’d think it might be close to my perfect cartridge. I know a few years back people were trying them on this forum and really liked them. I’d certainly consider $1000 for a new one. I reckon there might be a fair chance of finding a new one from the USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Yeah I hear ya. I know there quite rare now, so it's about waiting to see if a new one turns up. Last one on eBay was early last month - went for similar money, but new, so they do/can show up https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABSOLUTEL...AAAOSwGnpeUw89

I'm Robert.

Marco has had a fair few Denon mc's and i know he speaks highly of the DL S1.

He'll be able to tell you what you can expect from one
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

I'm Dennis.

I have just bought a new 304 on Ebay from Germany, and am about to try it. (Within 1dB right through to 50k) I think it a lovely cartridge and I could not justify anything better with my deck, and what I consider to be the inherent limitations of vinyl.
    (Puts a suit of armour on, ready for onslaught).

I'm Colin.

Thanks Guys,
    Would certainly be v interested to hear how the S1 fares against some other high end carts and also the 304 too.

I found with the 304 that the lack of fullness and slightly bright sound got to me in the longer term. It’s still a very nice cartridge though. Kind of opposite balance to the standard 103 which I also liked but thought was a bit too dull and thick sounding. The views I’ve read on the DL-S1 have said it’s tonally pretty much spot on, unlike most of Denon’s others carts. Perhaps the DL110 and DL103D are also quite neutral but much cheaper items which lack the refinement of the S1. (and 103D sadly discontinued for many years now).

I'm Colin.

Bump. I guess my bet is a DL304, if anyone has one they might sell.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin151 View Post
    Bump. I guess my bet is a DL304, if anyone has one they might sell.
    If you're after a DL-S1 and have the funds, then my advise would be to hold out for one.

In my 'hi-fi' experience (for what it's worth), you'll only end up going there anyway, so your compromise will always be just that, until you obtain what you really want
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast