+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technics SP10 write up - Hifi News November 2010

I'm Julian.

Default Technics SP10 write up - Hifi News November 2010

Hi,
    Anyone have this issue? If so, any chance of a scan or photo of the article?
    Its the original SP10 obviously.
    Many thanks indeed.
    All the best and stay safe!
    Cheers
    Julian

I'm Mike.

Try this...

https://hifinews.com/popup.php?iid=1056

Seems to work fine on the PC
    Last edited by mikeyb; 30-03-2020 at 19:00.

I'm Mike.

bit of blur using the SNIP Tool in Windows 10 but that link I posted earlier works fine on the PC

I'm Julian.

thank you VERY much Mikey - really appreciate that.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by fletchdirect View Post
    thank you VERY much Mikey - really appreciate that.
    No worries, delighted to find it as I am in the process of going this route.

Pity the snip tool blurred it a wee bit.
    Last edited by mikeyb; 30-03-2020 at 19:56.

I'm Julian.

I am in the same place, but already have the SP10mk2 in a SH10B3 plinth with SME V. I fitted an MC25FL originally. Pretty good sound, but did not blow the doors off. I was searching for this article to see what a journalist like this has to say about it. I think the two hot topics for the SP10, is which plinth and which arm. My deck is in storage with a ton of other stuff away from prying 6yr old, but will be risking my Toshiba SR370 in the meantime. I noted his comments in the article re the standard plinth thinning the sound, but that could have been a number of factors - maybe the EPA 100 arm if that was in play at the time. Some also say that the SME V is a tad too neutral (but is often used on the SH10B3 plinth to good effect), so when I reinstall it at home I'll be questing around the best cart to use with the combo, and whether or not to switch the plinth and arm I guess.

I'm Julian.

Also an old article from Hifi World - using SH10B3, SME V and a DNM cart (goldring). He seemed to love it. You can just make out the words.

I'm Mike.

Here's another from Vinyl Engine

https://www.vinylengine.com/technics-sp10-mk2.shtml

I'm Andre.

Why dont people ever use an original Techy 'SH10B5' plinth? Dont say they were rubbish because they were well built & if i remember Not far off the cost of the motor unit itself..

or one of these that really does look the part

https://www.acoustand.co.uk/products...linth-system-2

I'm Robert.

The SP-10 I believe is a superb turntable. Far too many people say so, an abundance of numerous positive comments and appraisals, globally, as far as you care to look.

Doesn't surprise me if specs alone are anything to go by. Technics built it to be an ace audiophile vinyl spinner / broadcast / reference then.

I've heard one in the flesh in a Panzerholz plinth and it sounded so clean it was almost untrue, almost super refined cd'ish if that makes sense.

To add further context, it had a Tenuto platter, which I think will have added some of itself to the presentation I was party to ie: a sheeny polished clarity to the sound I'd guess. Cartridge was an Ortofon Vienna moving coil, re-tipped with a Fritz Gyger S stylus profile.

Either way, it sounded excellent, albeit not quite as analogue in the way I like, ie: a bit overly refined / polished in sound for my personal taste and I think the Tenuto defo plays its part in that regard, hence I'm not a convert like some are - all depends on the sound you want obviously, one man meat and all that.

As I've said before, I'm in no doubt that in proper working order, it is a superb audiophile, reference turntable, absolutely.

As such, I decided I'd have one, a last deck and so I took the plunge.

Cant tell you how it sounds in my system yet, but I will, hopefully not too long now.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...ics&model=SP10

* Btw - Julian, was yours serviced etc before you took ownership ? and yes, I believe they are plinth sensitive.

Also, i cant emphasise how important cart/stylus set up is before evaluating properly.

I've always had good eyes, but now use Poundshop type 1.0 reading glasses for this stuf. You'll be amazed at what you think is on, that isnt when you wear these things for this
    Last edited by RobbieGong; 31-03-2020 at 15:09.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast