+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Townshend Avalon

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    No, I just mean the gentle noise of the motor turning the platter sounds good .... ....

You crack me up sometimes! Most times, actually!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Nigel.

Hamish,

There is a trough on ebay at the moment, the seller is Stamford Audio.

I think that the standard Rock version will be too tall for the Avalon as the platter is thinner, it may be an idea to check this out before buying one, the height of mine is 44mm from the deck to the underside of the swing out arm, the platter height is 40mm.
    Hope this helps.

On another note, I use one of my rock turntables without the damper quite a lot, still sounds good to me.

Nigel

I'm David.

Cheers Nigel
    I have sent the guy a message to see if he knows specifically, I have had a few people point this out to me now ...
    I'll get the measuring tape out ...
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Alex.

Hi Hamish,

Good catch - I enjoyed my Avalon with an Alphason HR-100s arm for many years, until I sold it in October 09.

I found that it imaged pretty well, and was very good at suppressing surface clicks. I used mine exclusively with the trough and paddle rigger after comparing it to the sound without this. I found the bass frequencies to be cleaner and resistance to environmental vibration much better (shock/footfall and acoustic vibrations). The presentation with the trough is cohesive and convincing, although very slightly coarse and not the last word in detail.

I'd recommend the best isolation you can use under this - it is quite sensitive, especially with the lid fitted. Also check carefully for accurate levelling - the sorbothane feet are non-adjustable and the back foot collapsed somewhat after the cat took to sleeping on it under a lamp for a while . It definately sounds a lot better with the lid off.

I'd also suggest stripping, cleaning and adjusting the bearing carefully. Mine suffered from wear on the carbide ball and thrust pad, which I sorted by rotating it to an unworn part of the surface and substituting a PTFE thrust bearing. Clearances between the bronze sleeve and housing were also fairly 'generous', so check for sub-platter rocking and adjust the oil viscosity upwards if you see some play. Max Townshend told me that the bearing wasn't their best effort, and that he recommended standard multigrade motor oil. I used graphite-loaded oil, but settled on 75w gear oil after trying a few.

Hope you manage to get an outrigger and trough for yours - have fun.

Regards,
    Alex

I'm David.

Cheers Alex
    It's sat on a Quadraspire rack with these little music works acrylic supports for the tt shelf ... The rack is sat in the fireplace which is the only solid bit of floor in the room ... I can stomp around the room quite happily and it doesn't affect playback at all... As for level ...not sure, haven't checked ...
    I have to take the lid off to use it as there is only 4" clearance above the deck ... So I guess that's a plus point!

I'm very happy with it, i may get a trough one day, but I'm in no hurry..

As for sound, i find it a very pleasant listen... It's def a keeper!!

Cheers
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm ChrisB.

So glad it worked out for you Hamish mate - I re-read the whole saga (loss of Techie/Thorens woes/arm selection threads included) just the other night.

I'm David.

I know man, right old faff ... To be honest, that lot and getting my actives has changed my perspective on this hifi lark ...
    Cheers Chris, im very happy with it all now!

I'm Steve.

I have the instructions for a bearing service for the Rock/Avalon if there is any interest PM me your email and I'll pass them on.

EDIT thumbs added, you may be able to use these
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Batty; 29-04-2011 at 23:14. Reason: Pics added
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

I'm David.

That's great, cheers, looks ... Scary... !?

I'm Howard.

Max must be feeling pretty confident 'cos he has a full page ad for this in June-issue Hi-fi News - without a review from them. Either that, or they're offering pages at next to nothing.
    Well, hello.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast