+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Luxman PD131S

Default Luxman PD131S

I'm thinking about trying out a different turntable. I have come to this turtable as an interest, the Luxman PD131S.

Has anyone heard this turntable before? if so, what's it like? There is one on ebay with a Rega RB250, and it's in very nice condition.

I have put an offer down, and still waiting for the sellers response. If he doesn't accept my offer, I have other turntables in mind. What about the Fons QC30? Is this turntable any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Cheers
    Last edited by speakers-1989; 05-06-2009 at 14:48.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

It's a gorgeous looking turntable (in my humble opinion; in the same way that early B&O TTs are: simple, clean and elegant lines), and has the benefit of a bayonet mount for the pick up arm (though Linn fanatics might dissagree).

Apart from that, I can't really say how good it is; though from memory, I seem to remember the PL131 getting good reviews at the time. As to whether the £499 asked is reasonable or not, in view of the fact that it comes with the Rega arm and a new Ortofon MC25E cartridge, I would have thought that it is not a wildly overpriced package. Other members may disagree.

Given the choice between the Lux and the Fons, I know which one I would choose - the Lux, for its build quality and serviceability; Fons disappeared years ago and I doubt if they can be serviced any more.

Barry

I'm Neil.

Yes £499 is way to much half would be closer to the mark IMHO. I agree with Barry the Luxman is by far better than the Fons. But I would not buy the Luxman for what this vendor is asking. How do these guys get their idea of pricing ....ummmm...Roll the Bones ahhhhhhhh !!!! £499

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I put an offer of 400 pounds this AM, and I'm still bloody waiting for the sellers response, weather to accept the offer or not. Infact been waiting all morning and afternoon.

You never know, I might like the Fons? Can they take Rega or other tonearms? And I'm sure the fons should be better over my Thorens?

I know a ebayer that has a Fons that is in pristine condition. I'm going to ask him for photos. He also has a Ariston RD80 and Oracle Delphi. Can't really afford the OD though.

I'm Dave.

The Luxman is a beautiful and beautifully finished turntable but it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as it looks I'm afraid. At half the asking price it might be considered but IMO a Rega P3-24 will leave it for dead.

Similarly with the Fons. A P3-24 will trounce it. Not everything that bounces is worthy and a simple, plain Rega will be a better bet.

Obviously, this is IMO having used both turntables back in the day when we had both on demonstration for comparison with the Rega, LP12 etc etc.

Thanks for your opinion, but's it's not going to putt me off from trying the Fons. LOL!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by speakers-1989 View Post
    I put an offer of 400 pounds this AM, and I'm still bloody waiting for the sellers response, weather to accept the offer or not. Infact been waiting all morning and afternoon.

You never know, I might like the Fons? Can they take Rega or other tonearms? And I'm sure the fons should be better over my Thorens?

I know a ebayer that has a Fons that is in pristine condition. I'm going to ask him for photos. He also has a Ariston RD80 and Oracle Delphi. Can't really afford the OD though.
    Which Thorens model do you have? I can't necessarily say that the Fons will be better or worse than your Thorens, nor do I want to put you off considering the chance of obtaining a reasonably priced Fons. It's just that from memory the Fons was not particularly well made, didn't receive enthusiastic reviews (although this was at the time when the hi fi press were unbelievably influenced by the Linn-Naim hegemony) and went out of business many years ago.

In buying any used piece of gear, you do have to consider the, hopefully unlikely, possibility that it may need servicing; spares for the Fons are unlikely to be readily obtainable. Same thoughts apply to the Ariston RD80.

Regards
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by speakers-1989 View Post

Pity you can't stretch to the Oracle....stunning sound if its a mk 3 onwards and it can still be upgraded to a mk5 later; in installments or all at once. IMHO one of the most beautiful looking TT's ever. I do have a bias having a mk4 Deplhi

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    Which Thorens model do you have? I can't necessarily say that the Fons will be better or worse than your Thorens, nor do I want to put you off considering the chance of obtaining a reasonably priced Fons. It's just that from memory the Fons was not particularly well made, didn't receive enthusiastic reviews (although this was at the time when the hi fi press were unbelievably influenced by the Linn-Naim hegemony) and went out of business many years ago.

In buying any used piece of gear, you do have to consider the, hopefully unlikely, possibility that it may need servicing; spares for the Fons are unlikely to be readily obtainable. Same thoughts apply to the Ariston RD80.

Regards
    Barry
    That about sume it up. The Fons was poorly made, badly finished, not vey reliable and easily trounced by the Planar-2. Of course there are no longer any spares available.

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, I think I'll put the Fons to the back of my mind, leave it anyway.

I'm either just going to save up for a Rega deck, something like a P3 or a P7. Platter looks nice on the P7.

Or maybe I might go back to a Michell, Michell decks sounds very nice. I was brought up listening to Michell decks. I might go for the Michell Reference Electronic Turntable, nice deck it is.

And another deck we have been looking at is the Technics SL-110, Is this deck any good people?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast