+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Pop Music Got Worse In Recent Decades?

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I was just asking for some data to back up the assertions being made, that's all.

My perspective is that young people have never had it so good, yours (and Geoff's) is that they struggle. I'm happy to accept that my perspective is skewed from reality since it is only my perspective. I was just wondering if the opposite view to mine is also from a personal perspective or based on some solid research/data.
    I am sure that there is a pile of data and statistics out there to argue one view or the other. I personally find government statistics are generally pretty questionable any way. We all know that stats can be slanted one way or the other by tweaking factors. A good example is the measurement of inflation, I think if you look at it over the years it has been tweaked several times. I believe originally it covered basic items required to live such as food, fuel, travel costs and basic clothing and few other items. I believe it now includes quite a few unnecessary additional items which in effect has the impact of lowering the average inflation rate, very sneaky.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Marco,

you have a very negative, almost Dickensian, view of poverty and the poor and dare I say it not a very Christian one. Yes, there are some idle wasters who play the system for benefits and have no sense of self reliance or self worth. However, that is a very small minority. I really am troubled by your portrayal of the poor as uneducated, drug addicted wasters.

Many homeless people and those living in poverty were driven there by an external shock or event not of their own making (e.g. illness, family breakdown, loss of employment).

Happy Christmas anyway!

That's not what I said or meant! So I've no idea how you've interpreted it that way....Please don't paint me as someone I'm not.

My point was that if there are regular wages coming into the house, then if you know how to budget properly and feed yourself and your family cheaply and healthily, then you should be able to lead a reasonable life.

It's those (legitimately) living on benefits, with no such regular income, who are genuinely in the poverty trap and most likely to really struggle.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I am sure that there is a pile of data and statistics out there to argue one view or the other. I personally find government statistics are generally pretty questionable any way. We all know that stats can be slanted one way or the other by tweaking factors. A good example is the measurement of inflation, I think if you look at it over the years it has been tweaked several times. I believe originally it covered basic items required to live such as food, fuel, travel costs and basic clothing and few other items. I believe it now includes quite a few unnecessary additional items which in effect has the impact of lowering the average inflation rate, very sneaky.
    The best known measure is the Retail Price Index which tracks the price over time of a bundle of goods and services deemed to be typical of household spending patterns. Of course this has changed over time with some items being withdrawn from the bundle or substituted. More recently, the RPI has been supplemented by a similar measure, the Consumer Price Index, which uses a different formula to reflect that the actual bundle of goods purchased is likely to reflect relative price changes. For this reason, the CPi is typically lower than the RPI. It is funny to look back at what was in the RPI basket in earlier decades. https://webarchive.nationalarchives....ces/index.html

I found it more informative to think in terms of the number of hours a median level wage earner needs to work in order to procure a good or service.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

That's not what I said or meant! So I've no idea how you've interpreted it that way....Please don't paint me as someone I'm not.

My point was that if there are regular wages coming into the house, then if you know how to budget properly and feed yourself and your family cheaply and healthily, then you should be able to lead a reasonable life.

It's those (legitimately) living on benefits, with no such regular income, who are genuinely in the poverty trap and most likely to really struggle.

Marco.
    Again this is incorrect. The bulk of child poverty is amongst households with at least one household member in employment. Current government policy will increase these numbers further.

I'm Martin.

I am sure that there is a pile of data and statistics out there to argue one view or the other. I personally find government statistics are generally pretty questionable any way. We all know that stats can be slanted one way or the other by tweaking factors. .
    Yes, that is pretty much my view as well, and every interpretation of the stats tends to have a political agenda behind it, one way or another.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that people who have spent all their lives in a comfortable middle-class environment tend to have unrealistic expectations as to the standard of living that the less well-of should be entitled to.

If you've always had money then the idea of not having much money seems terrifying. The term 'Just About Managing' pretty much sums that up. Fact is 99.999999 percent of the global population go through their lives 'just about managing' and don't think anything of it. The concept is only terrifying to the well-off.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Again this is incorrect. The bulk of child poverty is amongst households with at least one household member in employment. Current government policy will increase these numbers further.
    It's not "incorrect", Geoff. It's my legitimate opinion, based on personal experience, so kindly respect that or we're liable to fall out. Therefore, I think it's best if we simply agree to disagree and move on.

This is the music side of the forum, so let's get back to discussing music!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It's not "incorrect", Geoff. It's my legitimate opinion, based on personal experience, so kindly respect that or we're liable to fall out. Therefore, I think it's best if we simply agree to disagree and move on.

This is the music side of the forum, so let's get back to discussing music!

Marco.

Fine, but my comments are based upon evidence not personal opinion.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yes, that is pretty much my view as well, and every interpretation of the stats tends to have a political agenda behind it, one way or another.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that people who have spent all their lives in a comfortable middle-class environment tend to have unrealistic expectations as to the standard of living that the less well-of should be entitled to.

If you've always had money then the idea of not having much money seems terrifying. The term 'Just About Managing' pretty much sums that up. Fact is 99.999999 percent of the global population go through their lives 'just about managing' and don't think anything of it. The concept is only terrifying to the well-off.
    I think that for once we virtually agree.

What I find very sad is that a lot of people in western society have had it very good say in comparison the less well developed countries, and that can be miss-leading as well. If we just focus on the uk then part of the issue is that expectation levels of what is the norm and what people should aspire to own is not necessarily realistic. House ownership is becoming harder, ownership of a car in terms of vfm is good but if you can’t own a house then isn’t a car a luxury item. Then we have the myriads of hi tech goods, computers, tablets, mobile phones, multi media TVs and all the streaming and tv subscriptions that go along with, oh and then there is the must have broadband service, without this you are nobody. Sadly imo a lot of this stuff is unneeded but advertising and peer pressure tells us it is. Then we have the unreality shows that show extreme wealth and ownership of luxury goods and brand labels, giving the message without x y and z you are nobody, not a great message.

Even I am subject to it, I’m still on an iPhone 5s my second iphone from new in 9 years. My colleagues sneer and snigger at it and me saying I’m out of date and it’s old hat, really! Unfortunately the younger people are conditioned from an early age to have the newest and if possible the best, and that is not necessarily supported by quality or substance, but popularity.

Yes I have been guilty of this and probably still am in certain aspects, like most the more you have the more you spend, whether you need it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

Fine, but my comments are based upon evidence not personal opinion.
    And so are mine. My 'evidence' comes from my life experiences. Much like with hi-fi, stats or 'facts' don't tell you everything! It's like having a cable discussion with an objectivist

So let's just move on and talk about music - and btw, that applies to everyone else. If you want to discuss the other stuff here, start a separate thread.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

I think that for once we virtually agree.

What I find very sad is that a lot of people in western society have had it very good say in comparison the less well developed countries, and that can be miss-leading as well. If we just focus on the uk then part of the issue is that expectation levels of what is the norm and what people should aspire to own is not necessarily realistic. House ownership is becoming harder, ownership of a car in terms of vfm is good but if you can’t own a house then isn’t a car a luxury item. Then we have the myriads of hi tech goods, computers, tablets, mobile phones, multi media TVs and all the streaming and tv subscriptions that go along with, oh and then there is the must have broadband service, without this you are nobody. Sadly imo a lot of this stuff is unneeded but advertising and peer pressure tells us it is. Then we have the unreality shows that show extreme wealth and ownership of luxury goods and brand labels, giving the message without x y and z you are nobody, not a great message.

Even I am subject to it, I’m still on an iPhone 5s my second iphone from new in 9 years. My colleagues sneer and snigger at it and me saying I’m out of date and it’s old hat, really! Unfortunately the younger people are conditioned from an early age to have the newest and if possible the best, and that is not necessarily supported by quality or substance, but popularity.

Yes I have been guilty of this and probably still am in certain aspects, like most the more you have the more you spend, whether you need it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fancy phone ehmine's a 5c; its poorer cousin. still does the job, and it was second hand too...lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast