+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Women Hifi owners...

I'm brian.

Yes, once told her indoors to get back to the kitchen THATS what your good at. Did NOT go down well though

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by tapid View Post
    Yes, once told her indoors to get back to the kitchen THATS what your good at. Did NOT go down well though
    thats what the wife used to say to me...

although the word all was substituted for what
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    To conclude; women in hifi has never been a going concern and never will be. Unlike photography, hifi is masculine; full stop.
    You looked into the future and all you could see was that women will never get into hifi!
    Shame you couldn't see how Brexit maps out or something useful.

Of course there was a time when most men laughed at the idea of women becoming engineers and plenty still do. Granted, according to most recent figures there are only about 48,000 women working in engineering in this country but that figure will surely only go up. It looks like some women's brains are actually 'wired that way' and are interested in how things work ...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post

I think the answer is than men tend more to gravitate to engineering, regardless of whether they're that way inclined normally All hifi aficionados I've ever known have been interested in the kit, whether aesthetically or from a DIY/engineer's p.o.v but invariably both. Women's brains are not wired that way and I've never had really positive comments about any audio kit I've had. I guess I've had one or two 'that looks impressive', said with a look on the face which says 'how can anyone put up with that in their living room'.
    Like this?

or

Barry

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    You looked into the future and all you could see was that women will never get into hifi!
    Shame you couldn't see how Brexit maps out or something useful.

Of course there was a time when most men laughed at the idea of women becoming engineers and plenty still do. Granted, according to most recent figures there are only about 48,000 women working in engineering in this country but that figure will surely only go up. It looks like some women's brains are actually 'wired that way' and are interested in how things work ...
    The prediction re. women and hifi in the future was also based upon whether hifi itself. as we know it, has a future. The only way I'd want to predict Brexit was if I were a gambling man and had a big stake on the outcome. Predicting the consequences of remaining in no man's land would be more apposite, i.m.o.

I believe that the increasing prevalence of women engineers is not restricted to this country, or indeed to the west, but this is a different ball game to 'scale model engineering'.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Women, by nature, are social creatures and enjoy, indeed actively seek, human interaction, which hi-fi geekery doesn't intrinsically lend itself to. On the other hand, men tend to be more solitary creatures, and happier on their own, although I'm not like that..
    I'm a fairly solitary animal, but my wife is a recluse in comparison.
    She doesn't seem to need any social interaction beyond the cats and me (note the order there! ).

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol, no worries, but in that respect she's not 'the norm'. Most women like having company. I'm sure she'd miss you if you weren't there!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Like this?

or

Lovely Revox CDP and Nagra reel-to-reel, Barry! I'm not so much a fan of Quad or ML, though. You need some nice glowing bottles in your life!

And you didn't include one of the best bits of your system - your lovely TD-124, or your collection of cartridges....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dennis.

I think most here would categorise me as a, well no not middle aged now, old man with Hi-Fi and a TV.
    I miss with sadness the cosmopolitan times of youth, mixing with many different types and lending and borrowing LPs for a week or so, and all the interactive discussion we used to have. But I do have a cat.

I've had many failed relationships, and largely because the women concerned have been ultimately of poor character; being good in a Machiavellian world makes one vulnerable.

But mostly we all seem to become consumed in mortgages, buying fridge freezers and raising children, and then upgrading the house we live in. Then if we are not careful we become embroiled in the competitive approval seeking of society and the associated consumption.

The essence of this to me is that capitalism attempts to convince us that we will achieve happiness by acquisition of material goods, whereas this is in fact not a way of fulfilment, which actually comes from within, and what psychologists call inner direction; that is, directing ourselves rather then letting forces around us do so, which is outer direction.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post

But mostly we all seem to become consumed in mortgages, buying fridge freezers and raising children, and then upgrading the house we live in. Then if we are not careful we become embroiled in the competitive approval seeking of society and the associated consumption.
    It's this 'we all' I don't get. Why the need to label people? Everyone's different. No-one I know is embroiled in seeking society's approval; they're mostly just getting by.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast