+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice needed please: connections

I'm Colin.

Default advice needed please: connections

hi
    its been a while since i posted anything but could use some advice from you gurus please,

Current system = thorens td166bc/sme 3009 IV fixed/nagoaka mp150..Arkless pre amp.. rotel 950bx tuner... Naim Unilte, musical fidelity power amp 3.2 with js mods...Martin Logan motion 15 speakers. Myriad z40 headphone amp/ modded Fostex rp150 cans. transparent hp-14.2 speaker cable.

Ive had the Naim unit serviced at great expense , and i,m very happy with my system. Love the Marin Logan speakers, theyre beautiful & so natural sounding to me. The power amp really transforms the sound too.

the problem is the Naim only has one din out which i use for the power amp- meaning when i choose to use the headphone amp I have to disconnect the power amp to use it! - id also consider adding a sub woofer at some point as i love bass. but dont want huge speakers upsetting "her"!

So my question is - can anyone recommend a quality simple "splitter" connection to use connecting my Naim to potentially 3 devices (power amp, headphone amp & sub). I know the Tisbury could work - but i would need the volume control. I dont want to lose quality or spend the earth.
    On another note, has anyone heard of my speaker cables I was sold( transparent hp-14.2) , and is it really worth spending £300 to upgrade them ??
    Sorry for the longish post - could really use some advice which has proved invaluable in the past.
    thanks
    Colin

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Colinijohnson View Post
    hi
    its been a while since i posted anything but could use some advice from you gurus please,

Current system = thorens td166bc/sme 3009 IV fixed/nagoaka mp150..Arkless pre amp.. rotel 950bx tuner... Naim Unilte, musical fidelity power amp 3.2 with js mods...Martin Logan motion 15 speakers. Myriad z40 headphone amp/ modded Fostex rp150 cans. transparent hp-14.2 speaker cable.

Ive had the Naim unit serviced at great expense , and i,m very happy with my system. Love the Marin Logan speakers, theyre beautiful & so natural sounding to me. The power amp really transforms the sound too.

the problem is the Naim only has one din out which i use for the power amp- meaning when i choose to use the headphone amp I have to disconnect the power amp to use it! - id also consider adding a sub woofer at some point as i love bass. but dont want huge speakers upsetting "her"!

So my question is - can anyone recommend a quality simple "splitter" connection to use connecting my Naim to potentially 3 devices (power amp, headphone amp & sub). I know the Tisbury could work - but i would need the volume control. I dont want to lose quality or spend the earth.
    On another note, has anyone heard of my speaker cables I was sold( transparent hp-14.2) , and is it really worth spending £300 to upgrade them ??
    Sorry for the longish post - could really use some advice which has proved invaluable in the past.
    thanks
    Colin

"Not sure about the Splitter idea, personally, I'd get another output fitted din socket fitted if there was room

As for your speaker cables, this is what the Manufacturer says (presuming it's the same stuff) :

HP14-2 is an ideal speaker cable choice for *basic* home music and theater system installations where speaker cable runs are 40-feet or less. HP14-2 provides better than average performance in lengths greater than 40 feet"

I'd strongly recommend upgrading them. A lot of folks don't appreciate how much they're missing out by not having good cables in place.

Disclaimer: I make cables and sell them lol

I'm Colin.

Thank - you. i doubt very much i could fit an additional Din output to the Naim.
    i terms of speaker cable Id need 2× 3 metres terminated. Whats the minimum I should be thinking of spending to notice a decent improvement please?

disclaimer: not rich! My deck & amps are 2nd hand- but I think were great investments

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Colinijohnson View Post
    Thank - you. i doubt very much i could fit an additional Din output to the Naim.
    i terms of speaker cable Id need 2× 3 metres terminated. Whats the minimum I should be thinking of spending to notice a decent improvement please?

disclaimer: not rich! My deck & amps are 2nd hand- but I think were great investments

Hi Colin,

Well, from experience I can only say, I completely understand because I ain't rich either lol.

Youve got to shop smart. 2x3m runs, at least 2.5mm conductors, is doable for your budget in the used sector but I'd look for PC-OCC cable as the minimum requirement. Lose the big brand affinity and you'll open up a few options that weren't available before.

You could even make your own. Neotech stranded PCOCC wire, 2.5mm conductors and good copper screw connectors means the world is your oyster.

There is a link to my price list in my signature, feel free to have a look around.

I'm Chris.

Suggests all you need is a 4 pin male Din to stereo RCA cable , Ebay have many of these suiting Quad or Naim, prices are quite high though

Then a multiple RCA switch box, there are many hundreds of these types to choose from
    Result will be slightly cheap clunky switching, but it will work.

I'm Alan.

Hi Colin, what you need is a Beresford TC-7240, this can be used as 2 in/4 out switch box.

Alternatively you could use one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/17396138062...xoCwfQQAvD_BwE at a very much reduced expense.

I'm Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Hi Colin, what you need is a Beresford TC-7240, this can be used as 2 in/4 out switch box.

Alternatively you could use one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/17396138062...xoCwfQQAvD_BwE at a very much reduced expense.
    hi - yes looks the ticket, but ill need 2 out together ( ie to power amp and subwoofer)

I'm Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Suggests all you need is a 4 pin male Din to stereo RCA cable , Ebay have many of these suiting Quad or Naim, prices are quite high though

Then a multiple RCA switch box, there are many hundreds of these types to choose from
    Result will be slightly cheap clunky switching, but it will work.
    thanks - i have the din to rca, will check ebay

I'm Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Hi Colin,

Well, from experience I can only say, I completely understand because I ain't rich either lol.

Youve got to shop smart. 2x3m runs, at least 2.5mm conductors, is doable for your budget in the used sector but I'd look for PC-OCC cable as the minimum requirement. Lose the big brand affinity and you'll open up a few options that weren't available before.

You could even make your own. Neotech stranded PCOCC wire, 2.5mm conductors and good copper screw connectors means the world is your oyster.

There is a link to my price list in my signature, feel free to have a look around.
    ill check your link. thank you

I'm mark.

Talk to Flashback cables, I'm sure he'd make you a custom Y cable with din and phono's split. They're my 'go to' recommendation for Naim/Avondale cables.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast