+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Storing and playing music files

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    As Grant says yes you can do that, but you need to consider how to back it up to make the music stored on it safe in case of hard drive failure, I use a NAS drive for flexibility and plug a secondary USB drive into it and the NAS drive if configured to incrementally back up to it on a weekly basis during the night. I also use the NAS to store other media and documents I need to keep, but do not want cluttering up my laptop. It is also possible to access the NAS drive remotely and securely when not at home.
    Ah right, yes good points Adrian. I for one have my albums etc backed up in duplicate (once locally and once in the cloud in real time. 3tb and counting). But just considering John's (OP) requirement of something simple and not needing to 'log on' etc. For sure a NAS (or better still a server) will provide more flexibility as well as be more robust and like you I would recommend that route, but is beyond what John wants.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Ah right, yes good points Adrian. I for one have my albums etc backed up in duplicate (once locally and once in the cloud in real time. 3tb and counting). But just considering John's (OP) requirement of something simple and not needing to 'log on' etc. For sure a NAS (or better still a server) will provide more flexibility as well as be more robust and like you I would recommend that route, but is beyond what John wants.
    i keep 4 hdd copies of my music. i update one pretty much every new one I get. the other 2 get done every month or so... currently what im doing. Its not overly likely all 4 will crash together...I hope
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

I expect that John will already know how to duplicate things given that he knows how to rip files to flac as well as download high res stuff.

Personally I like to know my important stuff is backed up outside my home due to risk of theft, fire, riot, earthquake, tsunami or general pestilence. Hence the cloud (crashplan in my case).
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

I expect that John will already know how to duplicate things given that he knows how to rip files to flac as well as download high res stuff.

Personally I like to know my important stuff is backed up outside my home due to risk of theft, fire, riot, earthquake, tsunami or general pestilence. Hence the cloud (crashplan in my case).
    what cloud do u use?
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    what cloud do u use?
    Er? As written - crashplan.

I'm Grant.

Er? As written - crashplan.
    ok, thought that was just what you called the act of backup-ing.. sorry.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Thanks everyone. I now know a simple one-box solution doesn’t currently exist within my price range. The Squeezebox Touch comes close, if they were still available, but I’d still need to set-up a NAS drive, and I’m not sure how the Touch, NAS and LMS would work together? The Volumio and Innuos look impressive but was hoping not to have to buy something with an on-board dac when I already have one. Pi’s require more diy than I have time or inclination for. I’ll pick through all the suggestions over the next few days, but if all else fails I can step back from the 'wormhole' for the time being and do what Mike suggests and use a non-networked laptop wirelessly connected to the dac until other options become available.
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Marantz CD6006/Cambridge 650T DAB
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp
    Atlas Element Integra Superior inter-connects
    Spendor SP1s(1988)/Van-Damme UP-LCOFC HiFi 4mm cable

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNB View Post
    I’m not sure how the Touch, NAS and LMS would work together
    There's not a straightforward answer.
    It depends on what else you want to have access to, and by that I mean external content providers.
    My NAS has a version of LMS that it can run, however it won't access Spotify following the delivery changes Spotify made a while back.
    The LMS fix won't run on my NAS because of its processor.

I ended up running LMS on a RasPi running piCorePlayer.
    It's low power, and very slick in operation.
    LMS is integrated to access the NAS for locally stored music files.
    Online content provider access flys faster than sh1t off a shovel.

I think a good approach is to use a RasPi to run LMS, and connect to USB connected HDDs for local files, and point a genuine Squeezebox Touch at it.
    I went the route I did because I'd been running the NAS as server for a good while, but if there's no NAS to start with there's no reason not to do what I suggest.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Dennis.

Perhaps I want the impossible.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Perhaps I want the impossible.
    Why not let us know exactly what you want things to do?
    I failed mind reading at school.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast