+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: View from the wild Welsh Marches plus unexpurgated grumbling.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    The first thing that comes to mind is the flute solo on the Jethro Tull Auqalung album. That’s kind of obvious, really, but there aren’t too many flutes in rock music.

Welcome to the forum! You’ll fit right in.

Russell
    Ian Anderson? A unique talent. Special. But let me try to turn your head – and without looking too far from the ‘Tull’s 70’s heyday.

I got into Caravan absolutely by accident. Back in the 70’s, still at school, I got a copy of the compilation Canterbury Tales in a swap with a mate. I can’t remember what I gave in return, but I know I disliked it enough that I took the Caravan LPs in a swap despite the fact that I’d never heard of them. Anyway, I liked the cover. I was instantly hooked – and love ‘em still.

Caravan looked pretty much your regulation ‘70’s rock outfit EXCEPT for their mysterious not-quite-a-proper-member Jimmy Hastings – big bruvver of the band’s singer/guitarist Pye Hastings. You could see why they wouldn’t let him join – ‘cos then he’d have to be in the band photos. Even then he looked like a bank manager (the way bank managers used to look – not the spiv-insurance salesmen fresh out of 6th form we have now).

Note: when trying to describe band members from the 70’s in terms of job roles, very few careers are permitted. This conforms to the same principal that says that when trying to describe the size of a country, the only permissible points of reference are Wales, Ireland and the Isle of Wight. How lucky are we – having these global reference points right on our doorstep? Think how much harder life is for the good people of Memphis, Moscow or Mombai, having to learn about Eire, Cymru or Insula Vectis before being adequately able to explain to visitors quite how effin’ huge their country is? It’s the same with rockers back in the day. They can look like bankers, brick-layers, geography teachers, or in a few distinguished instances, mad professors. And that’s your lot. If someone tells you’re their cousin Malcolm was in a band, and he definitely looked like a doctor, send ‘em away with a flea in their ear. It’s just not permitted. (You could make out a case for a few of them looking like gnomes, and this is allowed, because gnome is not a profession. They’ll have been gnomes who also laid bricks or arranged mortgages. No question.)

Anyway, back to the Jimmy Hastings. Turns out his part-time status was because he already had a really solid career as a jazz-man and session player. In a particularly pleasing bit of “who’s coolest now?” he turned up as a side-man on Radiohead’s Amnesiac. (And he still looks exactly the same.)

Part-time or not, he added a glorious range of fills and backing lines over a bunch of Caravan’s ‘70’s classics. Never in the foreground, but a delight if you can be bothered to listen out for him.

So – greatest rock flute = Jimmy Hastings? No. Love him ‘though I do, if you’re looking for one moment that nails exactly what the flute is all about – tender, ethereal, fragile and just goddamn pretty, it’s I talk to the Wind by King Crimson – flutes by Ian McDonald. Part of its power is due to what comes immediately before. 21st Century Schizoid Man blindingly sets out KC’s agenda of spending most of the next 50 years scaring us witless. It’s a virtuoso onslaught – a statement of intent like few others. (Here’s another thread – the greatest album #1 side #1 track #1 ever? Like the sound of that.)

And then the flute arrives. Serene, limpid, perfect. Jimmy H (and dozens more) could probably play Ian Mc off the block, technically. But as a moment that defines what the flute can do in a rock context, this has my vote.

I'm Grant.

Remember Caravan well. Top band in the day they were. Nine feet underground was a long and good in. Had a nice cover.. Pink I think, but can't remember the name of album. Had 3 or 4 of theirs when young
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Remember Caravan well. Top band in the day they were. Nine feet underground was a long and good in. Had a nice cover.. Pink I think, but can't remember the name of album. Had 3 or 4 of theirs when young
    'In the Land of Grey and Pink'? (Don't ask me to explain what is meant by the title. ) One of their best though.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    'In the Land of Grey and Pink'? (Don't ask me to explain what is meant by the title. ) One of their best though.
    That's was it . Good memory Barry
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Still a favourite of mine. And Deram made nice sounding records back then. I don't know who produced it, but I think it sounds great. It got the Steve Wilson re-master treatment recently, which is fun and interesting in its own way, but in some ways a bit unnecessary. Some remasters dredge clarity out of recordings that came out sounding terminally compressed, messy and murky. Not so in the case of Caravan. The originals still sound fine. Better than fine.

I'm Grant.

Dave Hitchcock who also did Foxtrot
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by TegJ View Post
    Ian Anderson? A unique talent. Special. But let me try to turn your head – and without looking too far from the ‘Tull’s 70’s heyday.

I got into Caravan absolutely by accident. Back in the 70’s, still at school, I got a copy of the compilation Canterbury Tales in a swap with a mate. I can’t remember what I gave in return, but I know I disliked it enough that I took the Caravan LPs in a swap despite the fact that I’d never heard of them. Anyway, I liked the cover. I was instantly hooked – and love ‘em still.

Caravan looked pretty much your regulation ‘70’s rock outfit EXCEPT for their mysterious not-quite-a-proper-member Jimmy Hastings – big bruvver of the band’s singer/guitarist Pye Hastings. You could see why they wouldn’t let him join – ‘cos then he’d have to be in the band photos. Even then he looked like a bank manager (the way bank managers used to look – not the spiv-insurance salesmen fresh out of 6th form we have now).

Note: when trying to describe band members from the 70’s in terms of job roles, very few careers are permitted. This conforms to the same principal that says that when trying to describe the size of a country, the only permissible points of reference are Wales, Ireland and the Isle of Wight. How lucky are we – having these global reference points right on our doorstep? Think how much harder life is for the good people of Memphis, Moscow or Mombai, having to learn about Eire, Cymru or Insula Vectis before being adequately able to explain to visitors quite how effin’ huge their country is? It’s the same with rockers back in the day. They can look like bankers, brick-layers, geography teachers, or in a few distinguished instances, mad professors. And that’s your lot. If someone tells you’re their cousin Malcolm was in a band, and he definitely looked like a doctor, send ‘em away with a flea in their ear. It’s just not permitted. (You could make out a case for a few of them looking like gnomes, and this is allowed, because gnome is not a profession. They’ll have been gnomes who also laid bricks or arranged mortgages. No question.)

Anyway, back to the Jimmy Hastings. Turns out his part-time status was because he already had a really solid career as a jazz-man and session player. In a particularly pleasing bit of “who’s coolest now?” he turned up as a side-man on Radiohead’s Amnesiac. (And he still looks exactly the same.)

Part-time or not, he added a glorious range of fills and backing lines over a bunch of Caravan’s ‘70’s classics. Never in the foreground, but a delight if you can be bothered to listen out for him.

So – greatest rock flute = Jimmy Hastings? No. Love him ‘though I do, if you’re looking for one moment that nails exactly what the flute is all about – tender, ethereal, fragile and just goddamn pretty, it’s I talk to the Wind by King Crimson – flutes by Ian McDonald. Part of its power is due to what comes immediately before. 21st Century Schizoid Man blindingly sets out KC’s agenda of spending most of the next 50 years scaring us witless. It’s a virtuoso onslaught – a statement of intent like few others. (Here’s another thread – the greatest album #1 side #1 track #1 ever? Like the sound of that.)

And then the flute arrives. Serene, limpid, perfect. Jimmy H (and dozens more) could probably play Ian Mc off the block, technically. But as a moment that defines what the flute can do in a rock context, this has my vote.
    I must confess I am not familiar with Caravan. But, with all of you remembering them so fondly, I’ll be sure to put it on my short list of bands to check out!

I heard a song just the other day that had the most killer harmonica solo! And I’ve been wracking my brain trying to remember what song it was? It may have been the Stones? It’s hell getting old, being forgetful and all, but next time I hear it, I’ll be sure to make note.

Russell

I'm Lawrence.

Speaking of flutes there's some lovely flute solos (or at least one I remember) in Voyage of the Acolyte by Steve Hackett.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123