+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: View from the wild Welsh Marches plus unexpurgated grumbling.

I'm Gary.

Stunning read, thank you.

If you can listen to the Topping D30 with Linear Power Supply.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Took 5 years to write.
    Yup - been hanging around in the shadows for years. Positively sinister. TBH I was perfectly happy just browsing the entertainment herein, not particularly bothered about joining in. Then the other day saw a classified ad I fancied, and only then discovered that without posting a welcome, I didn't get the privileges to reply. So I thought I'd pitch a word or two, just to get started. and then one word led to another... Turns out I enjoy being opinionated! I may do it some more. In fact here's one to chew on. The version of Thunder Road recorded by Tortoise with Bonnie 'Prince' Billy on the album The Brave and the Bold is better and more affecting than the Springsteen original. You can check it out here if you haven't heard it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb1bf-HpyD0
    (I've pitched this idea to a Springsteen fan elsewhere, and apparently it make me both stoopid AND deaf. (But, hey, I've covered the whole deaf thing already.) Let me know what you think - any if anyone's remotely bothered I'll carry on and tell you why I'm right.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Stunning read, thank you.

If you can listen to the Topping D30 with Linear Power Supply.

Gary
    Interesting. Do you have an LPS recommendation? Do lab style regulated psu's cut it in this type of low-voltage low-current setting?

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by TegJ View Post
    Interesting. Do you have an LPS recommendation? Do lab style regulated psu's cut it in this type of low-voltage low-current setting?
    There are many on eBay as long as they deliver 15v DC @ 1 amp.

I've never used a lab style psu perhaps someone else may comment, they do have internal fans? So possible noise issue?

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Rob.

The old Maplin power supplies, said to be for 12vdc could go to 15v if you tweaked the variable resistor at 3A.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by TegJ View Post
    The version of Thunder Road recorded by Tortoise with Bonnie 'Prince' Billy on the album The Brave and the Bold is better and more affecting than the Springsteen original.
    Very nice. I'm not sure I'd describe it as better, but certainly as good and a really interesting reinterpretation.

So good to hear a cover that isn't just exactly the same as the original with someone else (usually less talented) singing. Covers that take the music elsewhere (as the Tortoise example does) are wonderful (my favourite being Joe Cocker - “With a Little Help From My Friends”) and add to the art. The straight copies do little more than earn a few dollars for the bands involved.
    Rob.