+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: What constitutes a grounding box?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    looks like obsidian cuttings(waste product) and probably is, with some cheap quartz on top. a bit of copper to stop it all moving about too much. a cheap as chips pine box. only one connector too so yo will need several.
    Some say the black stuff is magnetite.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Some say the black stuff is magnetite.
    it is very much attracted to a magnet so easy to find out. I bet its obsidian tho. cheap as chips as it comes from lava and there's plenty around. Very sharp and often used by surgeons as its even sharper than steel scalpels.got a few big bits in house. Buried the wife with a bit of heart shaped obsidian, as she loved her stones.
    Last edited by struth; 02-01-2019 at 19:56.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Jerry's getting one from China for a tenner though. Or something like that.

Copper is quite pricey now though isn't it? And there seems to be quite a lot of it in those boxes pictured above.
    Yes but not several grands worth, this is what several grand will by copper wise... http://scrapmetalreaders.co.uk/scrap-metal-prices/
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Yes but not several grands worth, this is what several grand will by copper wise... http://scrapmetalreaders.co.uk/scrap-metal-prices/
    Fair point.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Dennis.

I'd be amazed if it really does improve sound, and DBTs are necessary with 0.1dB matching of levels which shouldn't be hard to do.

Much as I want to be open to a new tweek that works, this is to me for placebophiles.

I'm bob.

Strange that some of you persist in stating that a grounding box ' injects more noise' into a system. What an odd concept, and where did it come from?

Early on in this thread somebody posted a link to a site where a 'scientific' experiment took place, with lovely analyzer pictures to prove whatever, but the 'expert' did not measure the right thing. All he did when faced with a grounding box with one terminal, was connect a wire and measure that. Well, guess what? It acted as an aerial, just like the wire I used on an old radio so I could hear the music. Oh, and the short piece of wire (small aerial) picked up less signal than the long piece of wire (larger aerial). That's what wire does, it picks up signals.

If he had just put an amplifier on the bench, then added some speaker cables what would have happened? The cables would act as an aerial and pick up a signal because that is what wire does, but you wouldn't reject the use of speaker cables just because of that or your system would be very, very quiet.

In other words, those tests proved nothing about the grounding box itself, or the effect that it had.

You would need to be measuring inside the equipment that the grounding box was connected to, and that would be very difficult.

Better still, beg borrow or audition a grounding box in your own system. Difficult I know because for a while you would need to open your mind, suspend scepticism and submit to the tweaky foo side for a while, but if you could manage to, you would understand why these boxes have become a very common feature of many systems.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by earsopen View Post
    Strange that some of you persist in stating that a grounding box ' injects more noise' into a system. What an odd concept, and where did it come from?

Early on in this thread somebody posted a link to a site where a 'scientific' experiment took place, with lovely analyzer pictures to prove whatever, but the 'expert' did not measure the right thing. All he did when faced with a grounding box with one terminal, was connect a wire and measure that. Well, guess what? It acted as an aerial, just like the wire I used on an old radio so I could hear the music. Oh, and the short piece of wire (small aerial) picked up less signal than the long piece of wire (larger aerial). That's what wire does, it picks up signals.

If he had just put an amplifier on the bench, then added some speaker cables what would have happened? The cables would act as an aerial and pick up a signal because that is what wire does, but you wouldn't reject the use of speaker cables just because of that or your system would be very, very quiet.

In other words, those tests proved nothing about the grounding box itself, or the effect that it had.

You would need to be measuring inside the equipment that the grounding box was connected to, and that would be very difficult.

I think you missed this:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...surements.476/

'My Audio Precision Analyzer which you see to the right of my desk below the Stax headphone amps has both an analog generator and analyzer. So I set up a simple test connecting the output of the generator to the analyzer. I then ran a THD+N test. This is a test where a 1 Khz signal is played by the generator. The analyzer has a filter at 1 Khz which sucks that tone out. Everything that is left is noise and distortion.

I ran the test two ways, without and with Entreq
    '
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Deleted.

The idea that these ‘grounding’ boxes inject noise into the system comes from the measurements linked to near the start of the thread.

Bob, I’m afraid the points you raise are nonsensical in an electrical sense.
    Account Deleted

I'm Alan.

I don't necessarily think so.
    The test made was a construct, in that a 1Khz tone was used being 'just' coupled to an analyser.

I din't think that is sufficiently close to a system playing audio to draw valid conclusions.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by earsopen View Post

Suppose the designer of the grounding box knows this. It would be very difficult to properly define just what these boxes do and how they do it, and ultimately therefore deny or confirm if they actually produce an improvement in hi-fidelity musical reproduction. I don't like the idea of that.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast