+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: My recent experiences with synegistic research fuses

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    I have no problem with anybody spending their money on thousand pound cables, fuses, plugs or whatever and if they're happy with the result, good for them.
    What I do object to is when they intentionally or inadvertently influence others to do the same (this isn't aimed at the OP) by singing the praises of their latest purchase as though it is factual and, worse still, suggesting anyone who says anything to the contrary is stupid, deaf or their equipment isn't good enough to exploit the difference (in fairness I haven't seen this behaviour on this forum but it is certainly prevelant on others)
    Good post, and expresses exactly my feelings on the matter.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Cables are only directional if they have different connectors at either end.

Yes, if they are only shielded at one end then there may be a better way to connect them from the point of view of shielding but this does not make them ‘directional’ per se.
    My post was meant to be slightly sarcastic - to which the correct response would have been to ask if I checked for directionality of the cable itself, before I fitted the connectors. I did not, as I don't believe in cable directionality. In most cases any markings on the cable: manufacturer's logo or cable type tend to run from the source end to the load, but not always. With some of my cables there is no marking whatsoever on the outer sheath.

Even shielded two conductor cables wired in a so-called 'semi balanced' arrangement, which as you correctly point out, requires the end in which the screen is connected to the return to be at the 'source' end, doesn't say anything that the cable itself has directional properties.
    Barry

I'm Gary.

Agree 100%, and good post Gaz.

This forums one of the better ones for that, and that kinda nonsense from people is one of the worst parts of the hobby to me.
    Though speaking as a “Subjectivist”, I’d put forward that it works both ways?

I’d never argue with someone over what they are hearing in their own system with their own ears, I’d just have no opinion of my own until I heard the kit for myself.
    Not gonna tell anyone they are wrong in what they hear, but as you say, easy to cross the line and put the emphasis on other people must hear the same thing (If their kits up to snuff, ears golden enough etc)
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Agree 100%, and good post Gaz.

This forums one of the better ones for that, and that kinda nonsense from people is one of the worst parts of the hobby to me.
    Though speaking as a “Subjectivist”, I’d put forward that it works both ways?

I’d never argue with someone over what they are hearing in their own system with their own ears, I’d just have no opinion of my own until I heard the kit for myself.
    Not gonna tell anyone they are wrong in what they hear, but as you say, easy to cross the line and put the emphasis on other people must hear the same thing (If their kits up to snuff, ears golden enough etc)
    I'm always very careful to say that I'm sure people genuinely believe they've heard an improvement with whatever they're talking about. I sincerely doubt anybody would intentionally come on a forum saying a product had improved their system unless they believed that to be the case.
    I'm a great believer in expectation bias and am certainly not immune to it myself having been caught out in a blind tasting of cola drinks when I found my favourite brand was actually my least favourite when I didn't know what it was.
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678