+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cable run length?

I'm Terry.

Default cable run length?

Hi Everyone

I have a Ariston Audio RD40 turntable going into an Edwards Audio MM1 Phono stage.
    My question is this, does it matter about the long length of the cable run that goes into my amp?
    The SME 3009 arm goes straight into the phono stage with short cables of about 14 inches long, but then after this the cables going into the amp are probably about 12 feet long.

Merry Christmas everyone !!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Hi Everyone

I have a Ariston Audio RD40 turntable going into an Edwards Audio MM1 Phono stage.
    My question is this, does it matter about the long length of the cable run that goes into my amp?
    The SME 3009 arm goes straight into the phono stage with short cables of about 14 inches long, but then after this the cables going into the amp are probably about 12 feet long.

Merry Christmas everyone !!
    If I remember this correctly the longer the cables are the greater the impedance and this will have some effect. The cable from TT to Phono stage I believe it is important to keep the impedance as matched as possible to the cartridge or lower than it. Once again the length of the cable from phono to power amp is important but because of the higher voltage you should be able to get away with longer lengths although 12 feet seems a bit extreme. I'm sure someone on here with more electronics knowledge than me can give you a detailed explanation. By the way this quality/conductive properties of the cable have and impact as well.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Gary.

I would have thought something with low capacitance like this would give sonic benefits.

http://www.van-damme.com/vandamme_pr...-956fdb7d-3ca2

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Timothy.

I suppose that if you are not experiencing any noise issues and all sounds well, you should be good to go. Generally the shorter IC within reason, the better I would think, but sometimes it just isn’t practical or the situation doesn’t lend itself to shorter.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Any very low capacitance, good quality cable will do. Your phono stage will have a low output impedance and the amplifier will have a high input impedance, so the resistance of the adjoining cable will only slightly affect the sensitivity. Regardless of length, the transmission loss will be < 0.1dB.

Just make sure the cable capacitance is as low as possible, in order to prevent the high frequency roll-off intruding into the audio band.

12' ( ~ 4 metre) may sound a long length, but I use 12m long interconnects between my preamp and monoblock poweramps (they are fully balanced however)
    Last edited by Barry; 03-01-2019 at 22:26. Reason: Addition
    Barry

I'm Terry.

Thank you everyone, put my mind to rest now !

+ Reply to Thread