+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheap second system for background music

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    I recently bought this from Amazon. (couldn't wait for 2 weeks!). Its a 100w version if you power it appropriately.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as a review goes I took it round to my dads to try with his Penaudio speakers (9k new). His previous amplification (Talk Hurricane 3/Musical First/custom valve pre's) is now for sale.

So that's a £28 quid amp powering many grands worth of speakers replacing a couple of grands worth of amplification. The synergy with the speakers was utterly astonishing.

Now being run off a linear power supply set at 18v. Everyone should have one of these.
    Spooky, I bought one of these (100w) 2 weeks ago...Digi curious...still waiting for delivery. .and I was thinking of a linear power supply...which one do you recommend?

Currently putting together a Pi 3 Allo boss digital setup with a pair of Tannoy Mansfield's.....ive been in IT for 20 years ..always had an aversion to zeros and ones going my speakers till now ...(yes, I do have an 855 cd player, but that's been Lamp-d)!

Let you know in due course whether my hifi has surcomb to the third wave .....

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by donmarrese View Post
    Spooky, I bought one of these (100w) 2 weeks ago...Digi curious...still waiting for delivery. .and I was thinking of a linear power supply...which one do you recommend?

Currently putting together a Pi 3 Allo boss digital setup with a pair of Tannoy Mansfield's.....ive been in IT for 20 years ..always had an aversion to zeros and ones going my speakers till now ...(yes, I do have an 855 cd player, but that's been Lamp-d)!

Let you know in due course whether my hifi has surcomb to the third wave .....

Bought it using Amazon prime so was here in 2 days. They have recently sold out and had to restock (I've ordered another!) so hopefully yours will arrive soon.

They differ slightly from the 50w version as they use x2 chips (not sure if that Co figuration is unique to this particular amp).

Currently using it with this to great effect.

Go to Amazon and type: "Nobsound 25W USB DC5V-24V"

Sorry not sure how to link Amazon products on my phone.

It's a nice little supply and adjustable between 5 and 25v. Also goes up to 4A I believe.

Fan is a tad noisy though but it would run fine without.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Mandeep.

We are looking for something for our newly refitted kitchen. I’m considering the Ruark mr1 speakers.
    Did you decide yet?

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I needed something for my kitchen recently too, ended up with a pair of Roth Audio powered speakers with Bluetooth off eBay for £50 and with tunes sent from an old spare mobile phone for Spotify or Tidal they are superb. They were a bit bigger than I thought though!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Bought it using Amazon prime so was here in 2 days. They have recently sold out and had to restock (I've ordered another!) so hopefully yours will arrive soon.

They differ slightly from the 50w version as they use x2 chips (not sure if that Co figuration is unique to this particular amp).

Currently using it with this to great effect.

Go to Amazon and type: "Nobsound 25W USB DC5V-24V"

Sorry not sure how to link Amazon products on my phone.

It's a nice little supply and adjustable between 5 and 25v. Also goes up to 4A I believe.

Fan is a tad noisy though but it would run fine without.
    Thank you Chris, I'm going to follow that up, wanted to pick ur brain on whether you know if you can buy a dual 5v linear power supply for the Pi 3 and Allo boss...slightly off topic...pls remove if so...
    I'm led to believe that a power supply to both boards is necessary?
    Or do I feed the Pi which in turns feeds power to the Boss?
    Excuse me if I'm being dim about this....
    Thank you in advance.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by donmarrese View Post
    Thank you Chris, I'm going to follow that up, wanted to pick ur brain on whether you know if you can buy a dual 5v linear power supply for the Pi 3 and Allo boss
    Hi Don, regarding the Pi and Boss (I'm no expert on the subject, far from it!) I would use a linear power supply to supply both with clean power. The Boss can receive the power and then supply the Pi but I think you can also use separate power supplies for both. You can set the voltage with a screw on the back of some adjustable supplies but do measure it and don't necessarily go by the read out on the front as in my experience it can be 10% out and you want to get it spot on. I think the exact voltage for the Pi is 5.1v?

Also you want to be able to feed them enough current something able to supply at least 2A would be enough I think.

There are those far more qualified to answer about this subject though, quite a few useful threads on here regarding Pi and Boss etc.

Try some of these:

https://theartofsound.net/forum/sear...archid=3307870

The usual suspects like, Jimbo, Bigman80, ALLO.com plus many others should be better able to steer you in the right direction.

Always been intrigued by the little things myself so will have a look into it when I have a min!

Cheers
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm Chris.

Don,

second amplifier from Amazon turned up today so hopefully yours won't be too long.

I'm going to try mine with a pre-amp up front controlling the volume with the amps powering a speaker each in a kind of dual mono arrangement with independent power supplies.

Might also re-wire the output to the speaker terminals inside as the wire looks pretty cheap.

Also just picked up one of these if its any interest to the OP for a mini system. Very small and does a decent job of streaming/internet radio etc.

Got mine for about £12 on the bay! Sometimes they have auctions which go cheaper than the buy it now price.

Sounds better than a chromecast I tried . . .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-TIBO-...4AAOSw44Fcu0Q1

Apologies for slight thread derailment!

I'm Philip.

I received one of tnese today.

Using it with a pair of kef coda 3 and an ipad.
    Very impressed.

I have a system that cost £34.
    And more than happy.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Buy one of these from China. There's a bunch of us on AOS who've been using them lately. They sound great!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-HI...IAAOSwjDJZ4EKJ

I bought mine for a second system, but it's been driving my big Tannoys with no bother and sounding ridiculously good.

I'm Gary.

Mine's arrived too.

Gave it a quick try out with my Quadrals but in a far from ideal environment. The speakers were plonked on a carpeted floor about 2 feet apart and frankly it sounded terrible, really overpowering but muffled bass and very little else.

Not a very fair audition so I'm not basing too much on it.
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Geoff.

Put the speakers back on their stands and further apart and try it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast