+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Do cables make a difference?

I'm Shaun.

Cables certainly made a difference in my system, a difference that was audible to myself and Sue my other half but my last cable purchase was quite a number of years ago and there won't be another change anytime soon.

I'm James.

Love these posts "Do cables make a difference"

They do if you can hear it.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

I have percieed differences between interconnect cables but they have always been subtle and I'm not willing to dismiss the possibilty that they were palcebo effects.

The only time I heard a big difference was swapping some NVA cables to some Bigbottle 'Spotfire' cables which appeared to totally change the sound. I was using a passive stepped attenuator pre-amp at the times and can only conclude this was some sort of edge-case scenario where change of impedance was so large there was a real change in frequency response. Even then I can't entirely dismiss a placebo effect as they can be quite dramatic. It's a test I would be mildly interested to repeat but I no longer have that pre-amp.

Changing interconnect cables recently trying to eliminate a ground loop (Belkin, Spotifire, Audioquest cables all tried) I could not hear any difference at all. Ground loop remained as well, regrettably.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    It makes quite a difference in my system. It can make an unlistenable system listenable at times.
    I've had some bad sounding set-ups in my time but I've never been able to cure the problem with interconnects despite trying numerous different brands and copper, silver, silver plated copper etc. I just don't go there anymore and instead try to ascertain the real cause of the problem (usually but not always an amp/speaker mis-match).
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

On only one occasion have I ever heard a clear, definite and repeatable difference when changing cables. The cable in question was a Chord Signature Tuned ARAY cable terminated iwith RCA 'phono' plugs.

It was hugely expensive (over £600 if I remember) and was on loan. The change in sound was subtle, and difficult to describe: the best I can do is to say it changed the 'projection' of the sound from the speakers (Spendor SP-1s, I think). The effect was subtle, but repeatable. It was not necessarily better; just different.
    Being curious as to the construction of the cables (they were on loan, so we couldent open up the plugs), we had them x-rayed. The cables appeared to have a 'shotgun' configuration, whereby two screened cables are used, with the screening connected to one of the inner cores at one end only (hence directional), with the second inner core providing the path between the inner pins of the RCAs. Also the overal screening was brought out as a flying lead, which could be connected to the metalwork of whatever the cable was plugged into.

In the past I have made up several experimental cables for my own curiosity, and passed them around to various Members here for their opinion. I think there were 5 participants who tried 6 different cables in their own systems and offered feedback. The test was in no way scientific (the cables were not of identical length, nor did they use identical style of phono plugs). Interestingly though, all 5 participants reported different 'likes' and 'dislikes'; there was little in common to say that one cable was in general better than another; suggesting that 'cable sound' is system dependant.

No wonder the whole topic of 'cable sound' is such a contentious subject.

All I will say is, if you try a new cable and like what you hear, then keep it. But I would also suggest that after, say a couple of weeks, you revert back to the status quo - you may find the 'old' cable sounds just as good.
    Last edited by Barry; 26-02-2023 at 21:21. Reason: spelling
    Barry

I'm James.

The long and winding road with cables has many twists and turns. So many materials to choose from and lots of different construction methods and especially when you factor in different plugs which may also be made from a huge variety of material. Therefore it is not really possible that there is no difference to be found between different cables as all of the variables associated can influence the electrical conductivity and flow of electrons. But it all depends on what you are attaching to what as they may all behave differently with different bits of kit.

One persons system wired up with a particular cable may not be influenced audibly by the cable where as another persons might be very sensitive. All depends on capacitance and inductance and the electrical properties of everything working together. So where as one person may hear something another may not. Also you have to factor in hearing sensitivity which is hugely variable amongst us audio fool folk. And as Martin has mentioned before time of day, mood , placebo effect etc may all also have an influence.

So when you start to add up all the variables .....

I always take. with a punch of salt any recommendations or reviews of cables because of all the reasons I have given above and also because I have tried mega bucks cables and they have done absolutely nothing positive in my system but also had cheap as chips cables which have delivered great audible results.

All the BullS*iT about materials, purity and construction makes me smile as it is all marketing and foo.

I know someone who wired up some of his system with black and decker lawn mower cable and his system won best in show!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Andrew.

Black and decker was good enough for Peter Walker
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The long and winding road with cables has many twists and turns. So many materials to choose from and lots of different construction methods and especially when you factor in different plugs which may also be made from a huge variety of material. Therefore it is not really possible that there is no difference to be found between different cables as all of the variables associated can influence the electrical conductivity and flow of electrons. But it all depends on what you are attaching to what as they may all behave differently with different bits of kit.

One persons system wired up with a particular cable may not be influenced audibly by the cable where as another persons might be very sensitive. All depends on capacitance and inductance and the electrical properties of everything working together. So where as one person may hear something another may not. Also you have to factor in hearing sensitivity which is hugely variable amongst us audio fool folk. And as Martin has mentioned before time of day, mood , placebo effect etc may all also have an influence.

So when you start to add up all the variables .....

I always take. with a punch of salt any recommendations or reviews of cables because of all the reasons I have given above and also because I have tried mega bucks cables and they have done absolutely nothing positive in my system but also had cheap as chips cables which have delivered great audible results.

All the BullS*iT about materials, purity and construction makes me smile as it is all marketing and foo.

I know someone who wired up some of his system with black and decker lawn mower cable and his system won best in show!
    Hope the Flymo fanboys don't read this, it'll be all-out war
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I found my electric lawn mower cuts the grass better, now I have replaced the mains cable with audiophile cable costing £500 a metre.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast