+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the 5 volt USB supply from a computer clean

I'm Chris.

Default Is the 5 volt USB supply from a computer clean

I am looking to supply a bit of kit with 5 volts. I hate switching power supplies and the obvious answer is to swap to a linear power supply.

Currently the kit is powered from a laptop computer via USB but the computer itself is powered from the ubiquitous switching power supply.

I was thinking if I switch off the mains power to the computer and let it run on it’s batteries will I get a clean 5 volts or will the internal machination of the computer conspire to dirty the USB 5 volts
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Alan.

It won't be as clean as a linear, there will be some sort of switching converter in the computer to give the 5V.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    It won't be as clean as a linear, there will be some sort of switching converter in the computer to give the 5V.
    Thanks Alan, just as I suspected.
    There are a number of 5v linear supplies on ebay for about £50, but not surprisingly none give noise specs. Any recommendations from people
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    There are a number of 5v linear supplies on ebay for about £50, but not surprisingly none give noise specs. Any recommendations from people
    This is relevant to my interests!

I've almost pulled the trigger on a 5v IFI supply several times, but was waiting to hear more about the long promised 5v supply from Allo, which is still due to be released imminently, AFAIK. I would also be keen to hear views on the eBay LPS modules...

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by LC1979 View Post
    This is relevant to my interests!

I've almost pulled the trigger on a 5v IFI supply several times, but was waiting to hear more about the long promised 5v supply from Allo, which is still due to be released imminently, AFAIK. I would also be keen to hear views on the eBay LPS modules...
    OK Luke. We wait with bated breath
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Chris.

With Hi Fi almost all opinions on kit are subjective. But here is a product that can be measured scientifically so that meaningful comparisons can be made i.e. value for money.

Why then do so few sellers quote figures. My guess would be, that the power supplies are not as good as their superlative descriptions would have you believe.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

On the back of the OP question, if an item of kit asks for 5v 3a to power it is it ok to feed it 5v 2a or will that cause problems?
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    On the back of the OP question, if an item of kit asks for 5v 3a to power it is it ok to feed it 5v 2a or will that cause problems?
    Problems. Overheating on power supply and various issues with the kit depending on what it is.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Thanks Lawrence so its a no no
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Mel.

I use one of these, along with a couple a similar ex Maplin batteries/chargers with all my Pi's and would not go back to any mains tethered device.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAF-Portab.../dp/B07M6JFCLZ

The HUAF in particular is one i like - it has a quality feel, amazing battery life and can power 2x 2.5 amp devices and a 1x 1amp device at the same time should you wish.

Its a bit bigger and heavier than it may look - about the size of an iphone 6 plus and slightly heavier.

Its also good for charging my iphone and bluetooth earphones so gets plenty of use.

Mel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast