+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amps and fans

I'm Richard.

Default Amps and fans

My valve monos give off an 'egg frying' amount of heat which isn't great at this time of year. In addition I think it would be better for the amps if they were helped with a bit of ventilation. I read on a forum that the air should be drawn away, rather than blown over the amps. Also the flow should be constant rather than say from an oscillating fan. Any opinions?

Obviously I'd like the fan to be as silent as possible so maybe looking at USB powered types. Anyone out there use them & can recommend a product?

Cheers

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny nocash View Post
    My valve monos give off an 'egg frying' amount of heat which isn't great at this time of year. In addition I think it would be better for the amps if they were helped with a bit of ventilation. I read on a forum that the air should be drawn away, rather than blown over the amps. Also the flow should be constant rather than say from an oscillating fan. Any opinions?

Obviously I'd like the fan to be as silent as possible so maybe looking at USB powered types. Anyone out there use them & can recommend a product?

Cheers
    I have owned a few amps with internal fans, I no longer own them. I can't stand fan noise. Its a shame the T+A V10 had one, other wise I would probably still own it.

Good luck on your quest, I have never not heard a fan. So be interested if anyone can suggest a silent one.
    Regards Neil

I'm Richard.

Agreed Neil.
    I was hoping to place an oscillating fan behind the tv (the monos sit either side of it) to block off as much noise as possible.
    But maybe a 'fixed' pair slowly turning across each mono would be better.

I'm James.

I'd be looking at some big, slow PC fans. 200mm jobbies typically rotate at about 800rpm which you simply won't hear above music. I have 2 80mm 1000rpm fans in my HTPC and unless I have my ear to the case i can't hear a thing.
    Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck / Kuzma Stogi S / Benz Micro Ace S L
    Lenco L-75 / Carl Ellis Plinth / Ortofon AS-212 / Ortofon SPU Classic GM E MkII
    Ortofon ST-7 SUT / Nick G Modded Lentek Head Amp / Croft RIAA

Cambridge Audio CXU / Theta DS Pro Prime

Classé Model 30 / Luxman M-383

Usher Compass X-719

May contain opinions that others find disturbing.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny nocash View Post
    I read on a forum that the air should be drawn away, rather than blown over the amps.
    Turbulent air will 'stick' to the radiating surfaces better than laminar air and absorb more heat. Hence it is better to blow air over as the air is turbulent coming out of the fan (due to the blades chopping up the air).

I'm Neal.

Yup, on the digital forensic servers I used to work on the fans always forced air past and over the GPUs mounted in the expansion slots for best cooling.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Richard.

Cheers Neal & Alan, I'd prefer this option as the air would be blown away from the amps. I presume the forum opinion in my OP was to reduce the amount of dust that may build up when blowing over the amp.

Bearing in mind the above, your suggestion seems like a good one James.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I’ve just got hold of some Bastanis OB’s, they come with a 3000w Behringer DSP amp to run the bass. These Behringer amps come with a very noisy fan, which I’ve just swapped for one of these-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1Z5H6ZGWCMTNX

I now have to hold my hand up to the vents in the front of the amp to tell if it’s working or not.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Smegger68 View Post
    I'd be looking at some big, slow PC fans. 200mm jobbies typically rotate at about 800rpm which you simply won't hear above music. I have 2 80mm 1000rpm fans in my HTPC and unless I have my ear to the case i can't hear a thing.
    I agree with you. Also, a simple pot allows the speed to be reduced so a balance between cooling and noise can be made. I have 80mm and 160mm fans in my PC and the latter are effectively silent, the smaller one inaudible in a quiet room from about 2m. The whole thing runs about 1m from where I sit when listening so I wouldn't suffer fan noise easily.

Quiet PC website is useful for fan comparisons I found.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Morris.

https://www.acinfinity.com/component...ing-fan-140mm/

AC Infinity MULTIFAN S4

I have one sitting under my Tubelab SE and it is inaudible and moves a good lot of air.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast