+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audiolab DC Blocker

I'm Shaun.

Default Audiolab DC Blocker

Regarding this particular device, has anyone any findings from using one ? I contacted a hi-fi dealer about buying one and suitability but was told that some amplifiers prefer a gritty mains supply so it may not be compatible. I have no knowledge one way or the other. Your findings would be very interesting.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Enossification View Post
    Regarding this particular device, has anyone any findings from using one ? I contacted a hi-fi dealer about buying one and suitability but was told that some amplifiers prefer a gritty mains supply so it may not be compatible. I have no knowledge one way or the other. Your findings would be very interesting.
    Mine likes Pina Coladas and walking on the beach in the rain!

I think you need to change dealers!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Enossification View Post
    I contacted a hi-fi dealer about buying one and suitability but was told that some amplifiers prefer a gritty mains supply
    Seems an odd thing for a 'professional' to say. I can't think of a situation where poor quality mains would be of benefit.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

A bizarre thing to say but IME dealers who actually know what they're talking about are pretty thin on the ground. Or they may have some real knowledge but they're still going to make stuff up to get a sale. I'd avoid any dealer who tried to sell me mains-related gadgets including fancy power cables, because they're either one or the other.

Vast majority of amplifiers will not care how 'gritty' the mains supply is. Even the very best mains supply contains horrendous levels of distortion, but since it is converted from AC to DC by the amp's power supply it doesn't matter in the slightest. The only time I've actually heard mains supply affect sound was at a bake-off where at tea-time the voltage dropped so low it caused an SE valve amp to motorboat. The solid state amps were unaffected.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    A bizarre thing to say but IME dealers who actually know what they're talking about are pretty thin on the ground. Or they may have some real knowledge but they're still going to make stuff up to get a sale. I'd avoid any dealer who tried to sell me mains-related gadgets including fancy power cables, because they're either one or the other.

Vast majority of amplifiers will not care how 'gritty' the mains supply is. Even the very best mains supply contains horrendous levels of distortion, but since it is converted from AC to DC by the amp's power supply it doesn't matter in the slightest. The only time I've actually heard mains supply affect sound was at a bake-off where at tea-time the voltage dropped so low it caused an SE valve amp to motorboat. The solid state amps were unaffected.
    Do you think he does know what he's talking about then given he didn't push the sale? Just seeking clarity as you didn't actually say.

I'm Pete.

change your dealer...this one seems to be faulty...

As to the dc blockers use amazon ...with a full money back return policy.

I have three bought in this way ... when attached to my streamer hdd player, pre amp and power amp ...have made a worth while improvement ... including better imaging and separation.

But and its a big one ! I know I have poor quality mains.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Do you think he does know what he's talking about then given he didn't push the sale? Just seeking clarity as you didn't actually say.
    I don't see how he can know given the reason he gave you makes no sense. Maybe he wanted to dissuade you for another reason he didn't want to disclose so he made something up on the spur of the moment in the hope that you'd believe it?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I don't see how he can know given the reason he gave you makes no sense. Maybe he wanted to dissuade you for another reason he didn't want to disclose so he made something up on the spur of the moment in the hope that you'd believe it?
    I got that impression from what you said, but then you agree with him that mains doesn't make a difference and he didn't try and flog something, so they are positive points surely?

I'm John.

Perhaps your dealer would be prepared to loan you one. Then you can decide whether it's worthwhile.

I have an iFi Audio DC Blocker and it does a good job for me.

Good luck.
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I got that impression from what you said, but then you agree with him that mains doesn't make a difference and he didn't try and flog something, so they are positive points surely?
    He can't think it makes no difference if he's saying that a particular amp prefers 'gritty mains.'

What he should be saying is that unless you have a specific issue there's no point buying a DC blocker, which amplifier is in use is irrelevant. A DC blocker might reduce transformer hum if it is present, it will not 'clean' the mains or reduce distortion on the mains or anything else. Any amp can have or develop transformer hum.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast