+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Driving standards these days..

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Except for the poor buggers who were enjoying a bit of Michael Buble or something on CD instead of listening to the radio. It must have felt like the end of civilisation to them.
    Buble was very unlikely to have been heard on the radio at that time. I was hoping to write that he hadn’t been born, but he was in fact already alive - he’s significantly older than I knew about - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bubl%C3%A9

Nevertheless, he wasn’t very old, and was only just starting to push forward as a young talent.

CDs had been invented, but few (if any) cars had CD players. Most were still equipped for tape cassettes, as well as FM/AM radios.
    Dave

I'm Phil.

I’ve been doing a 64 mile round trip commute for 21+ years and I’d tend to agree that driving standards and general attitudes have fallen.

I consider myself a steady and courteous driver but have had a short fuse with others for a while now. I’ve had a series of incidents recently, all IMHO other people’s fault, like an Audi RS4 driver accelerating so fast from a slip road that he then was bearing down on me overtaking a tractor that he thought I obstructed him and was up behind me shaking his head, a complete and utter arsehole.

Anyway, i reeled off lots of these little incidents to a policeman friend of mine, and basically he said he’s not got involved for many many years (my involvement really has been to gesticulate and shout at others, not good I know), he says just don’t let them enter your world and don’t get into theirs, he says one day you’ll come across a nut job who’ll think nothing of filling me in and stoving the car in. Anyway, after a long chat with him, I’m on a mission to heed his recommendations, so far so good, told him I’ll report back in a month or so, he is after all 100% correct.

(Sorry, had missed a key bit of info from my original post regarding my police mate)
    Last edited by PhilofCas; 20-07-2019 at 06:22.
    CCA, Sony TA FB940R, Spendor S3/5r2.
    Quad 306, Tisbury, Rega Apollo CD.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilofCas View Post
    I’ve been doing a 64 mile round trip commute for 21+ years and I’d tend to agree that driving standards and general attitudes have fallen.

I consider myself a steady and courteous driver but have had a short fuse with others for a while now. I’ve had a series of incidents recently, all IMHO other people’s fault, like an Audi RS4 driver accelerating so fast from a slip road that he then was bearing down on me overtaking a tractor that he thought I obstructed him and was up behind me shaking his head, a complete and utter arsehole.

Anyway, i reeled off lots of these little incidents and basically he said he’s not got involved for many many years (my involvement really has been to gesticulate and shout at others, not good I know), he says just don’t let them enter your world and don’t get into theirs, he says one day you’ll come across a nut job who’ll think nothing of filling me in and stoving the car in. Anyway, after a long chat with him, I’m on a mission to heed his recommendations, so far so good, told him I’ll report back in a month or so, he is after all 100% correct.
    At my last job I had a near 40 mile each way trek. All highway, only 3 miles rural at each end. So I decided to time myself. I set a stop watch, and I drove like hell! I pushed the speed limit, averaging 10 miles over, I passed everything in sight, and was basically aggressive.

The next day, I drove the speed limit, relaxed and stayed out of the fast lane, didn’t pass a soul.

The outcome was surprising, there was less than 3 minutes difference! On the day I rushed, I got to work 2:48 faster than the day I relaxed. Risking a ticket, and high blood pressure, and possibly invoking the wrath of a road rage driver, is simply not worth it for two minutes. And that’s not even considering any gas mileage I may have gained?

Russell

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    At my last job I had a near 40 mile each way trek. All highway, only 3 miles rural at each end. So I decided to time myself. I set a stop watch, and I drove like hell! I pushed the speed limit, averaging 10 miles over, I passed everything in sight, and was basically aggressive.

The next day, I drove the speed limit, relaxed and stayed out of the fast lane, didn’t pass a soul.

The outcome was surprising, there was less than 3 minutes difference! On the day I rushed, I got to work 2:48 faster than the day I relaxed. Risking a ticket, and high blood pressure, and possibly invoking the wrath of a road rage driver, is simply not worth it for two minutes. And that’s not even considering any gas mileage I may have gained?

Russell
    Seen it time and time again Russell, people doing all they can to rush along, overtaking, then you see them 5 min down the road a few cars in front at traffic lights. Yes, stress levels and MPG increase and fall respectively.

I'm Martin.

Seen it time and time again Russell, people doing all they can to rush along, overtaking, then you see them 5 min down the road a few cars in front at traffic lights. Yes, stress levels and MPG increase and fall respectively.
    On the way to work the other day. Dual carriageway, and there's a bloke in a white van weaving in and out of the lanes, overtaking like a lunatic. His exhaust was broken off and was venting black smoke. He was getting right up behind other vehicles and sounding his horn until they moved over. There are so many roundabouts and traffic lights on that stretch that even with those tactics he still couldn't make any progress compared to the rest of us. Just insane. If a cop had seen him he would have had it but you never see any cops round here anymore.

Some people just need to go home, sit down, have a nice cup of tea and re-think their lives.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post

Russell
    Yes, regardless of how fast you are driving, your total average speed is still dictated by the speed of the rest of the traffic. The only gains timewise you can make are when you overtake something, and then you get to go a bit faster until the next obstacle (probably only 100 yards further on).

When I last drove to Ullapool, I saw that much, if not all of the A9 had a 40mph restriction for HGVs. With the paucity of overtaking opportunities you have a choice: either stay behind that truck (which means you too are restricted to 40mph), or take your life into your hands trying to pass, only to find yourself stuck behind the next truck. Piece of piss on a bike, as long as you're mindful of car drivers 'going for it' at the same time. This speed limit for HGVs looks to me like a dangerous idea, and I'd be interested to know whether this policy has reduced overall death/casualties.

I once had a conversation with a younger work colleague, who considered himself a quick driver. I asked him "When you are travelling along the road in a convoy of traffic, are you usually at the front or the back of that queue?" "The front, I'm always at the front!" I don't think I quite made him understand that this meant he was actually a slower driver. He told me that he would make it his mission to get to the front of that queue, and he had to drive quickly to achieve that.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

My mission is usually to return the highest mpg.. Much safer and probably as much fun. Certainly teaches you to be a better driver
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Jeremy Clarkson said years ago "No matter how fast you drive on a run, everybody ends up averaging 50mph" and he was dead right! All driving fast does, is get you to the next hold-up quicker.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    On the way to work the other day. Dual carriageway, and there's a bloke in a white van weaving in and out of the lanes, overtaking like a lunatic. His exhaust was broken off and was venting black smoke. He was getting right up behind other vehicles and sounding his horn until they moved over. There are so many roundabouts and traffic lights on that stretch that even with those tactics he still couldn't make any progress compared to the rest of us. Just insane. If a cop had seen him he would have had it but you never see any cops round here anymore.

Some people just need to go home, sit down, have a nice cup of tea and re-think their lives.
    First class dick, would be so nice to see him end up in a ditch

I'm Geoff.

First class dick, would be so nice to see him end up in a ditch
    A big one, like the River Severn.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast