+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Boot Sale 2022

I'm Steve.

Default Car Boot Sale 2022

Thought I'd get this going, the 2021 thread was also in blank canvas.

Today was my first visit of the year, and pretty miserable it was too, unless you're a three year old shopping for soft toys in plastic bags.

Got just two CDs, at 50p each:

Cranberries - No need to Argue, and ZZ Top Greatest Hits. Oh, and a rubber mallet to knock in tent pegs (we no longer have a tent, but the mallet was only 50p).

If I had any doubts that record sellers are increasingly taking the piss, todays car boot put paid to that. This guy was selling Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (with the record trying to fall out of the unglued sleeve, and judging by the vinyl's condition had fallen out several times before) and he wanted £35 He also had a shagged-looking copy of "Master of Reality" for 25 quid, and I know I can buy it new for under 20.

They'd probably not sound too knackered if played on this deck he also had for sale, which was branded "GPO". I didn't know the Post Office had moved into record players, and it didn't look like it would deliver a first class performance.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

seen those gpo tables.. ghastly things imo...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    seen those gpo tables.. ghastly things imo...
    Mrs. P said I should have bought it for the cartridge, which would be cheaper than the one I plan to buy... partners do say the funniest things

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Even charity shops are now selling LPs at inflated prices. They're canny - they look up the value on line, and regardless of condition, that is what sets the sales price. (Well that's what Oxfam told me.)

I expect your boot sale seller was a trader. You can always spot them as they have several boxes of LPs on their trestle tables, and probably have some LPs in the back of the car put aside for their regular punters. Often there will be a well thumbed copy of Record Collectors Guide on the passenger seat as well.

Been to a half dozen or so boot sales this year (my partner is mad about them), but bought very little. I'm getting lazy, and can't really be arsed to visit 200 odd stalls to see what they have got. I'm more inclined to buy novels than CDs these days.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Your observations re. vendors are increasingly becoming my experience too:

1. I visited a charity shop in Keswick about 3 years ago (might have been Oxfam) where they were selling a ruined-looking copy of "Physical Graffiti" for £99. And they had it in a locked glass cabinet. I can't see it ever selling, and if it is no longer there it has probably been moved to another branch.

2. The bloke with the rough black sabbath albums was clearly a trader, and like you I can spot them a mile off. i wouldn't normally bother with them, but the boot sale was very light on interesting items.

Also like you I have become increasingly lazy, in that if the CDs are on the floor I usually can't be bothered crouching down - a cursory glance gives me an idea of the seller's favoured genre, and if names like Slim Whitman, Robbie Williams, Michael Buble are in there I walk on. Also if the CDs are not presented in a way I can browse quickly, ie so I can read the titles without touching them.

My CD shelving is coming to the point where it will become "one in, one out" because I'm not putting up any more shelves. 700 or so, while not a big collection, is more than I'll get through in my remaining life... also we don't have a lot of space round here.

3. I used to buy books, but due to the aforementioned space issues, not anymore. Kindle for me these days unfortunately.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Martin.

I stopped buying books when it got to the point where they were stacked up on the stairs like you might see in a crazy person's house.

Had to buy another bookcase to solve that but there's not really any room for more bookcases. I suppose I could get rid of some hifi equipment to make space for more books but that's probably not going to happen.

Not many boot sales here any more, because if you want to organise one you first need a license from the city council and it has to be non-profit, for charity or something.

Petty officialdom and freedom restriction at it's finest.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Your observations re. vendors are increasingly becoming my experience too:

1. I visited a charity shop in Keswick about 3 years ago (might have been Oxfam) where they were selling a ruined-looking copy of "Physical Graffiti" for £99. And they had it in a locked glass cabinet. I can't see it ever selling, and if it is no longer there it has probably been moved to another branch.

2. The bloke with the rough black sabbath albums was clearly a trader, and like you I can spot them a mile off. i wouldn't normally bother with them, but the boot sale was very light on interesting items.

Also like you I have become increasingly lazy, in that if the CDs are on the floor I usually can't be bothered crouching down - a cursory glance gives me an idea of the seller's favoured genre, and if names like Slim Whitman, Robbie Williams, Michael Buble are in there I walk on. Also if the CDs are not presented in a way I can browse quickly, ie so I can read the titles without touching them.

My CD shelving is coming to the point where it will become "one in, one out" because I'm not putting up any more shelves. 700 or so, while not a big collection, is more than I'll get through in my remaining life... also we don't have a lot of space round here.

3. I used to buy books, but due to the aforementioned space issues, not anymore. Kindle for me these days unfortunately.
    LOL Your observations match mine: I hate having to crouch down to read the titles of CDs, especially as one half of them will have the spines reading in a different direction to the other half; and rooting through boxes that are full of Mrs Mills, Max Bygraves, Top of the Pops volume... , Mantovani, Abba etc. etc.

I still look at CDs in charity shops, as (in London) I usually find something of interest; and a 50p a pop is worth taking a punt, despite having a CD collection of well over 2,000.

I have a similar problem with books. Run out of shelf space, there are four large boxes full of books stored in the garage, so there are now small piles of books dotted around the place - much to my partner's, and my, disquiet.
    Barry

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

When we moved 2.5 years ago I took boxes and boxes of books to the charity shop, and then set a couple of bookcases up in the garage with the ones I couldn’t part with, mainly reference and non-fiction books - I’ve not looked at one once since!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Grant.

Ive box of old books in loft. No idea if they are still good as i cant get in to it. Was burns etc books. Some nice uns too.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

This morning's purchases:

Seasick Steve - I stared out with nothin...
    Rumer - Boys don't Cry
    The very best of Cat Stevens
    Human League Greatest Hits
    Enya - Watermark
    Enya - Shepherd Moons

All for a grand total of 2 quid.

But this is a real bargain imo:

Original 1975 pressing. Playing it right now, it looks (and sounds) unplayed. For a quid! Happy with that.

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast