+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 2M Black Upgrade

I'm James.

Two months on and the upgraded 2M Black with the FGS stylus has now run in completely. Over these months the soundstage seems to have widened with superb imaging and wonderfully tonal quality,in fact it has the the most satisfying tonal quality I have heard from any cartridge.

Instruments are portrayed with life like realism, weight and texture. Guitars have lovely harmonic layering,piano keys have weight and fast dynamics and brass and wind instruments sound full and real. Vocals take on amazing detail with so much information in how the singer is using their voice and breath. Layers of information that were not there before have been revealed like archaeologists excavating in the sand. Where as some detail was hinted at it is now very clear and transparent.

This has to be the most satisfying analogue system I have heard with so much space and lovely acoustic information filling your senses without any artificial "HiFi" aspects to the sound. It means you listen for hours without ever wanting to finish, always reaching for yet another record.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Two months on and the upgraded 2M Black with the FGS stylus has now run in completely. Over these months the soundstage seems to have widened with superb imaging and wonderfully tonal quality,in fact it has the the most satisfying tonal quality I have heard from any cartridge.

Instruments are portrayed with life like realism, weight and texture. Guitars have lovely harmonic layering,piano keys have weight and fast dynamics and brass and wind instruments sound full and real. Vocals take on amazing detail with so much information in how the singer is using their voice and breath. Layers of information that were not there before have been revealed like archaeologists excavating in the sand. Where as some detail was hinted at it is now very clear and transparent.

This has to be the most satisfying analogue system I have heard with so much space and lovely acoustic information filling your senses without any artificial "HiFi" aspects to the sound. It means you listen for hours without ever wanting to finish, always reaching for yet another record.
    Congratulations Jim, a just reward for your efforts. Can't wait to hear it!

I'm Andrew.

Jim, I'm getting a little bit of your experience but from a completely different source! A purchased a Ortofon Royal N SPU, same coils as the Cadenza black and a the replicant stylus which is similar to FG but probably not quite as good. I'd say its strong point is detail resolution. Still considering getting my Cadenza black sorted!!!!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

. It means you listen for hours without ever wanting to finish, always reaching for yet another record.
    Well at least 22-23 minutes until you need to turn it over!!!!!!!!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Well at least 22-23 minutes until you need to turn it over!!!!!!!!
    I like the turning over it get me to move out my chair

Yes the detail is fantastic. I was listening right into the recordings last night and could hear quite a bit more than the standard 2M.

The standard 2M sounds edgy and a bit hyped compare to the FGS. I really am impressed with how it retrieves detail but also as I mentioned, its tonality. It has far exceeded what I thought it would do. The detail it does reveal is not like digital analytical detail which reminds me of the vivid setting on your TV, it is more natural and balanced in the recording.

As you may have been aware I have been evaluating an exceedingly good digital set up over the past few months - The Pi3 + Boss 1.2 and it has been enjoyable. I could write a great deal on how it compares with my analogue set up but that will have to wait till another day. But suffice is to say I still prefer my analogue set up by a large margin.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Congratulations Jim, a just reward for your efforts. Can't wait to hear it!

I'm Martin.

As you may have been aware I have been evaluating an exceedingly good digital set up over the past few months - The Pi3 + Boss 1.2 and it has been enjoyable. I could write a great deal on how it compares with my analogue set up )
    You should, that would be interesting.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You should, that would be interesting.
    I will certainly get round to it soon Martin, however I feel it may be like comparing Colour photography to Black and White photography.

Which is the most pleasing?

I'm Martin.

That would be an ecumenical question
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That would be an ecumenical question
    Hahaha
    Audiophile Tosher

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast