+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas is only :-

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Can't say I've been in many transport cafes where the owners have a real passion for what they're doing, any more than I see the lorry drivers display a similar passion...
    That'll all change when you visit a good Les Routiers truckers cafe in France... In terms of discerning and very demanding diners (among ordinary people), your eyes will be opened big time!

More seriously, then you obviously haven't been around much. There are TONS of places like that all over the country: just good basic cafes/diners, serving all-day breakfasts (and anything with chips), done properly, using good quality ingredients cooked well, in spotlessly clean environments.

Here is one such place in Wrexham: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=...oiowCnoECAYQBg

The above is run by a husband and wife team, and located in one of the poorest parts of the town. They do all sorts of wonderful home-cooked basic food, and serve proper milky coffee!

I could even mention some superb roadside snack vans I've been to, where I've enjoyed eating no other than home-made venison burgers, whilst sitting outside in the glorious sunshine on one of their tables, in gorgeous scenery overlooking a river, sipping a cup of Earl Grey in a Bone China cup...

It doesn't have to be 'fancy' for someone to own a food establishment of ANY description, and do it well, with passion and LOVE, simply because they're proud of what they do (you did read about how my dad ran his chip shops?) which you won't get in your average Beefeater/Harvesters, etc. Those are the kind of places that will always get my custom, not some soulless commercial food chain.

However, what I can't be doing with is paying good money which I don't have a lot of, to an independent/family run establishment and find the quality of food and service to be below what I consider acceptable. As discussed before I'm not very good at complaining, and would simply not go back there. But that doesn't make the meal you've just shelled out for any better.

Plenty of terrible family run restaurants around (Gordon Ramsey seems to find them everywhere), and plenty of good ones too.
    Sure, but of course I'm talking about the BEST family-run restaurants (seek and ye shall find, do some research, etc) versus ANY commercial restaurant chain. The former will almost always be considerably better. You need to get out and about, and find the good places eat - and when you do, keep going back when you can!

Del and I often just drive out to the country at the weekend, on spec, and see what we can find, in terms of nice places for lunch or dinner, and we've found so many great places that way, which would've otherwise been under our radar.

It's a bit like good new music: you'll unlikely find any, if you buy all your CDs in Asda! I'm not saying you do, but you get my point. The special places are rarely found right under your nose!

In that respect, when was the last time you (or anyone else here) visited an independent record shop (which demonstrates the same passion and love for what they do as a good family-run restaurant), and *physically* sought out some new music?

Well, the same applies with eating out well. You have to put some effort in, and explore outside of the mainstream world, if you want to get the best experiences and sample the truly nice things in life...!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Marco,

I am sure that you realise that most New Testament scholars have concluded that the birth was sometime in late summer or early autumn, and probably in 6BC to 4BC for that matter. Hence my comment. The adoption of December 25th, the Winter Solstice, as the celebratory date came several centuries after the birth, and was influenced by several factors, only some of them theological. The appropriation of the winter solstice festival date had powerful significance amongst potential converts. I only know this because i too was brought up a Catholic and was educated in religious schools. Even though I had become an aetheist in my mid teens i was still forced to study theology and the history of the early Christian church.
    Sure, Geoff. However, that doesn't negate tradition, or what you've been brought up with since day one - and for me (and millions of other Catholics and Christians worldwide), that's celebrating the birth of Jesus on 25th December. For us, it's also 90% what Christmas is all about!

The other 10% equating to spending time with your family and loved ones, and having some fun

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Al View Post
    You off to Mckky D's Marco to see Ronald McDonald
    Haha, aye.... Only in one of my worst nightmares!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Well, it's in the centre of Gloucester - may even have walked past it yesterday on the way to the Beefeater.
    Real ales? - not interested. I'm not at all bothered about alcoholic beverages.

There is a nice place, family run near there called Café René. Loads of atmosphere, fairly basic service, very decent 'home cooked' food.
    Been there several times and always enjoyed it. Even you might approve, Marco!

Check out the ceiling!
    Much more like it!

However, not much good if you fancy some traditional British pub grub... Perhaps next time, you'll not walk past that place I mentioned, and instead go in! Were you aware of it at all, or have you been in it before?

To enjoy good (locally sourced) real ale is a massive part of why I go to pubs.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

I think the fact that I read your post all the way to the end shows I'm not afraid to make an effort

Due to financial circumstances in recent years, we don't often get to go out for a drive just for the hell of it - mostly we're heading for a particular destination by the quickest route possible. This usually means the odd stop at a motorway services, and only for a brew. To seek out off-the-beaten-track places would be rather time-consuming, and time is often a commodity in short supply for us.

The Les Routiers thing is definitely something we'll do though, next time we're in France.

Do you have a recommendation for somewhere for lunch in Shrewsbury? I'm going there with Anita on Saturday to find her something nice for her birthday. She's thinking she would like a sapphire ring, so I guess we're going to be trekking round various jeweller's, though how she intends to fit that in as well as visiting the record shops I don't know
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I think the fact that I read your post all the way to the end shows I'm not afraid to make an effort

Do you see where I'm coming from, though?

Due to financial circumstances in recent years, we don't often get to go out for a drive just for the hell of it - mostly we're heading for a particular destination by the quickest route possible. This usually means the odd stop at a motorway services, and only for a brew. To seek out off-the-beaten-track places would be rather time-consuming, and time is often a commodity in short supply for us.
    No worries mate, I get that. It's a bit different for us. plus Del works really hard in a very demanding job, so I like to treat her, by making her weekends as relaxing/stress-free and enjoyable as possible. Plus, being the big left-breast that I am, I enjoy driving the Brabster, especially around the scenic areas near here

The Les Routiers thing is definitely something we'll do though, next time we're in France.
    Cool. You've got to do it. I'll give you some reccos before you go.

Do you have a recommendation for somewhere for lunch in Shrewsbury?
    I did all that the other day (including record shop reccos) in another thread (I forget which one now), which you didn't acknowledge.... Have a look!

If you can't find it daftee, I'll repost what I wrote later.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

Bro and I had coffee at Toyota yesterday....foul stuff it was.. they wont get many extra customers serving that pish
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Lol - pretty much anything would be pish, compared with what you're used to!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Do you see where I'm coming from, though?

No worries mate, I get that. It's a bit different for us. plus Del works really hard in a very demanding job, so I like to treat her, by making her weekends as relaxing/stress-free and enjoyable as possible. Plus, being the big left-breast that I am, I enjoy driving the Brabster, especially around the scenic areas near here

Cool. You've got to do it. I'll give you some reccos before you go.

I did all that the other day (including record shop reccos) in another thread (I forget which one now), which you didn't acknowledge.... Have a look!

If you can't find it daftee, I'll repost what I wrote later.

Marco.
    Sorry Marco, I did read that, did I not reply? I saw all the stuff about the record shops, but obviously the eating out bit didn't register. No worries, I'll check it out again.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

No worries... If you can't find it, then do let me know and I'll post it again, so you have the info for Saturday

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast