+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie.....needs lots of advice and help!

I'm Geoff.

A Linn Axis turntable is an old product now and electrically more complex than some. It's not unknown for them to be troublesome. You can get a simple, reliable and perfectly decent Rega turntable for that money or less.

I think you'll have less issues if you just stick to all Rega items. They sound fine for the money and are compatible with each other.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm daney.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    A Linn Axis turntable is an old product now and electrically more complex than some. It's not unknown for them to be troublesome. You can get a simple, reliable and perfectly decent Rega turntable for that money or less.

I think you'll have less issues if you just stick to all Rega items. They sound fine for the money and are compatible with each other.
    Rega is certainly leading the race for me this far!

I'm Martin.

I'd get a subwoofer to go with those B&W speakers as they don't have any bass and will sound quite toppy

https://hometheaterreview.com/bowers...aker-reviewed/ -

acceptable and inexpensive subs here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...13e352db26f219

Two subs is a lot better than one if you can run to it.

Get some stands for the speakers, you want ear height to be just between the mid and tweeter drivers so measure it and buy appropriately tall stands. Sounds trivial but it does matter.

The speakers have very low sensitivity but the sub(s) will help a lot. Even so, if you want to really crank the levels up and have the sound stay clean you'll need at least 100 watts per channel, unless the room is very small

Otherwise something like this NAD C320BEE would do the job and be a good match. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAD-Stere...YAAOSw6Qde-PTR

although I'm sure a Rega amp would be fine I'm not convinced it is worth the premium you pay.

CD - I'd go for this Sony https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Aud...8AAOSw0YxexAUk very smooth but detailed sound, will take the edge of the B&Ws, should all balance out well.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm daney.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'd get a subwoofer to go with those B&W speakers as they don't have any bass and will sound quite toppy

https://hometheaterreview.com/bowers...aker-reviewed/ -

acceptable and inexpensive subs here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...13e352db26f219

Two subs is a lot better than one if you can run to it.

Get some stands for the speakers, you want ear height to be just between the mid and tweeter drivers so measure it and buy appropriately tall stands. Sounds trivial but it does matter.

The speakers have very low sensitivity but the sub(s) will help a lot. Even so, if you want to really crank the levels up and have the sound stay clean you'll need at least 100 watts per channel, unless the room is very small

Otherwise something like this NAD C320BEE would do the job and be a good match. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAD-Stere...YAAOSw6Qde-PTR

although I'm sure a Rega amp would be fine I'm not convinced it is worth the premium you pay.

CD - I'd go for this Sony https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Aud...8AAOSw0YxexAUk very smooth but detailed sound, will take the edge of the B&Ws, should all balance out well.

Many thanks for that..very helpful...it also helps (me!) a lot as I can actually see specific bits of kit.

Cheers!

I'm daney.

That NAD amp. doesnt have a phono? If I was to get one of those, Id have to get something else to plug into it, to enable me to use a record deck? Is that how it works?!

Sorry if its a daft question!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post
    That NAD amp. doesnt have a phono? If I was to get one of those, Id have to get something else to plug into it, to enable me to use a record deck? Is that how it works?!

Sorry if its a daft question!
    Yes you would need to get a sperate phono stage with that one. There's lots of them on the used market though.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yes you would need to get a sperate phono stage with that one. There's lots of them on the used market though.
    Not all of which are equal. Far from it actually.

And it gets even more complex if MC (moving coil) cartridges are thrown into the equation instead of MMs, although we won't be going there at the moment.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Not all of which are equal. Far from it actually.

And it gets even more complex if MC (moving coil) cartridges are thrown into the equation instead of MMs, although we won't be going there at the moment.
    I never said they were! But a few clunkers aside they'll be better than what's bundled in with a budget amplifier. Just having their own separate power feed is a big help to that.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Project one here, as new in the box 80 squid https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-ject-...e-uq-&LH_BIN=1

not the best thing ever but fine for a budget deck with a budget cartridge. I used one for years and my neighbour has it now with his Rega Planar 3 and it does nothing wrong.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Gary.

Some great advice here as always.

If vinyl is your thing go for the best Rega in your budget, more bang for buck 2nd hand.
    Look to Rega P2/P3 complete with arm and cart from a hifi enthusiast, rather than the modern interpretation of the same Deck brand new from a Dealer at higher price.

Scrimp, save and temporarily live on toast n beans for 6 months if you can for a recent 2nd hand Rega Planar 3 if you can.
    Put a fair chunk of your budget to what actually gets the music off the vinyl record.

Digital...not so much, can spend buttons to get "good", but it ain't great.
    Digital can be ear blisteringly good, but not at budget prices imo.

But vinyl will reward you.
    You don't need to spend megabucks...but get it right and you're there.

And that's what Rega will.do for you.
    My take...2nd hand Rega 3 from a fellow enthusiast upgrading.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast