+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MC Cartridge Recommendations For Technics SL1200GR

Default MC Cartridge Recommendations For Technics SL1200GR

Hi Chaps,

I have a lovely new Technics SL1200GR turntable and am looking at MC cartridge recommendations for it. I'm currently using a Nagaoka MP-110 which sounds wonderful but as I have a nice SUT to play around with I'd like to think about a MC cartridge.

The sort of performance I am looking for is more lively and punchy than refined. I would like that boogie factor if possible that makes vinyl an enjoyable experience and is something the Technics excels at.

I have come across two recommendations to date.

The first is the good old Denon 103/103R. I'm confused about this cartridge. Some seem to say it is perfect for the Techie but then there's all the compliance mis-match stuff, adding weight, etc.

The second is the Audio Technica AT33EV/AT33PTG. I don't know much about this but my experience with AT cartridges to date has been excellent.

Any advice appreciated - I'm sticking with the stock arm BTW.

Cheers

Phil

Bigman80 Guest

Kontrapunkt b *****
    ATART 7 *****
    AT33PTGII ****
    ZYX R100 ****

I'm Jason.

Biased ('scuse the pun) but I think the 33PTG is one of the best MCs around for the money. Worked a charm on my modded SL1200 stock arm (fluid damper, Sumiko HS and heavier counterweight). Tracks like a demon - very little phases it. Superb filigree detail and a wide soundstage. Good bass too, and without the slight excitable quality of the OC9.

The DL103 will need extra mass, and that might be a problem with the stock arm in terms of balance. I'm not sure if the eff.mass. figure for the 1200G is the same as the 1200, i suspect it might be slightly in the 103's favour but mass at the headshell is very likely. When set up well they can be a lot of fun though, and the higher variants (103R etc.) are worth considering.
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

Thanks Guys, things are stacking up in favour of the 33PTG. I have a heavier headshell and the additional counterweight. I used to have a KAB damper but sold it.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bishop View Post
    Thanks Guys, things are stacking up in favour of the 33PTG. I have a heavier headshell and the additional counterweight. I used to have a KAB damper but sold it.
    If you do go for a PTG, make sure it's a PTGII. The first itineration isn't as good IMO

There is a softness to the bass in both carts that I couldn't live with. Nothing bad I just prefer a crisper bass. I found the right cart for me, a Kontrapunkt b BUT in terms of pure performance ÷ price, the PTGII can't be beaten.

Thanks Oliver, noted. Please give my regards to the old place - I'm from W'ton originally (Finchfield)

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bishop View Post
    Thanks Oliver, noted. Please give my regards to the old place - I'm from W'ton originally (Finchfield)
    Ha! Here in Bushbury

montesquieu Guest

If it were me I'd find a way to put an Ortofon SPU on it, even if I had to source a heavier counterweight.

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason P View Post
    Biased ('scuse the pun) but I think the 33PTG is one of the best MCs around for the money.............. Tracks like a demon - very little phases it. Superb filigree detail and a wide soundstage. Good bass too, and without the slight excitable quality of the OC9.
    Totally support this.

Others will need to comment on it's match for your arm but the 33 PTG II is just as described above. I have both the 33 and the OC9. Both are good but the 33 has the edge in delivering a shimmering, weighty performance without unpleasant side effects.

It's beaten several carts I've had at 2 or 3 times the price and once run in (30 hours min) it'll boogie all night long.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Geoff.

A friend uses an Audio Technica Art-1, the cartridge I use, on a Technics 1210. It is a really high-end design and sounds superb on that deck.

I personally would recommend the AT range. My preference is the OC09 but the PTG is really close to it. It's just about your personal preference.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast