+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Can a CD player's sound degrade?

I'm Richard.

My suspicion is that the Marantz is simply a more enjoyable CD player than the Densen ever was. I owned a Densen B-410 for a while which was purchased off the back of very good reviews and a pretty short demonstration where I praised how 'non-digital' it sounded. While that were true, longer listening sessions established a pattern very quickly in that I never listened any further than around 1/3 of the way through a CD album. That's when it became apparent that the Densen just sounded boring and had no sense of timing or rhythm, so I was hitting eject after about track 4.
    I sold the Densen and the next CD player I bought cost me £5 from a car boot sale and was a Marantz CD53 and upon listening to it, I found exactly the same as you're finding now. A very musically capable and engaging player. It lacked the refinement and tonality of the Densen, but I was listening to CDs all the way through again.
    Rich

I'm Steve.

Cheers, you guys have had a fair bit to say while I've been away, with some helpful suggestions (apart from the God-bothering ) I am pretty inept technically (I did put the "Dense" in Densen) so it will be for someone else to fix.

Looking back, I see that I first had a mither about this last October, and Simon (SimonG) suggested contacting Elite Audio. I did this, got an automated out of hours message back saying they would contact me. That was ten months ago, so maybe they need a reminder...

I don't want to consider the possibility that it may just need the laser lens cleaning - If Mrs. Pony discovered that I'd spent 260 bones replacing something that just needed a wipe, I'd be in a whole world of pain
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Edward.

"mither"

Wow that is a new one on me. Next time swmbo has a moan at me (that will be in roughly 10 minutes time no doubt) I will simple say "Oh please stop mithering." That should stop her in her tracks (for a few minutes!).

Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    "mither"

Wow that is a new one on me. Next time swmbo has a moan at me (that will be in roughly 10 minutes time no doubt) I will simple say "Oh please stop mithering." That should stop her in her tracks (for a few minutes!).

It's a different world down in the smoke
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    It's a different world down in the smoke
    The good lady is from wolves.

"Brought up bostin and proper ar am."

§
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Alan.

Yow 'cor beat a Black Country wench.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    The good lady is from wolves.

"Brought up bostin and proper ar am."

§
    'Ar'm clammed, let's get sum fettle'

'see him, he's a nors'

Work that out black country mitherers.

I'm Andrew.

'Clammed' in Lancashire is hungry, so I'm going to guess at 'I'm hungry lets get some food' the other one seems to suggest someone is a horse.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    'Clammed' in Lancashire is hungry, so I'm going to guess at 'I'm hungry lets get some food' the other one seems to suggest someone is a horse.
    Hahaha,.

Yep, I'm hungry, let's get some food.

NOPE, not a horse.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post

I don't want to consider the possibility that it may just need the laser lens cleaning - If Mrs. Pony discovered that I'd spent 260 bones replacing something that just needed a wipe, I'd be in a whole world of pain
    I am sure with all those cables that you keep selling you must have nice little hifi piggy bank tucked away by now to think about a replacement CDP.

Apologies Steve I take this back, I was definitely having a senior moment and muddle you up with Mr Mad-Moon, now he does sell cables.
    Last edited by AJSki2fly; 11-09-2019 at 19:35.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast