+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing a Quad 405-2 transformer that has a buzz/hum

I'm Martin.

Default Changing a Quad 405-2 transformer that has a buzz/hum

My Quad 405-2 transformer has a buzz/hum (mechanical), so looking to change out.
    Has anyone used an RS transformer (toriodal transformer - RS part no 223-8235) in their 405-2?

If so, how did it perform and what wiring connections were used?
    Thanks
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm Duncan.

Hi Martin

In my experience with the Quad 405's replacing the bridge rectifier with a 35A 400v can calm down the buzz from the transformer.

If you go ahead and change the transformer, a better model is the 223-8910 part no RS.

These encapsulated transformers are very quite.

The reason I'd go for a 500va rating is that the original is rated at 350va so a nice upgrade.

Happy days

I'm Martin.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tubehunter View Post
    Hi Martin

In my experience with the Quad 405's replacing the bridge rectifier with a 35A 400v can calm down the buzz from the transformer.

If you go ahead and change the transformer, a better model is the 223-8910 part no RS.

These encapsulated transformers are very quite.

The reason I'd go for a 500va rating is that the original is rated at 350va so a nice upgrade.

Happy days
    Hi Duncan

Thanks for the feedback.
    Have you changed the transformer to the larger one and did it fit o.k., as I have read upgrading to a larger rated one can be an issue getting the lid back on?
    Did you parallel up the secondary windings?

Also have you details of the bridge rectifier you mention.

So many questions before I take the plunge

danilo Guest

IF mine ? I'd consider remote mounting your Existing transformer. Fit it into a small box, even wooden may do.
    Then Simply run wires from it's output (secondaries) into the Amp case.
    Use an XLR plug if you feel the urge for it to be detachable .. Or hard wire it on.
    Bit of a pain but easier than sourcing/paying for a replacement Tx, then trying to stuff it in.
    Often one Tx will buzz while another identical one doesn't. Happens more often with the Square frame types rather than Torroids
    There Is a wee add on circuit one Can diy to subdue the buzz (google for it)
    I also wouldn't recommend the Audio Weenie; 'Bigger is better' notion.
    Often causing..more.. issues than it claims to 'address'.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    IF mine ? I'd consider remote mounting your Existing transformer. Fit it into a small box, even wooden may do.
    Then Simply run wires from it's output (secondaries) into the Amp case.
    Use an XLR plug if you feel the urge for it to be detachable .. Or hard wire it on.
    Bit of a pain but easier than sourcing/paying for a replacement Tx, then trying to stuff it in.
    Often one Tx will buzz while another identical one doesn't. Happens more often with the Square frame types rather than Torroids
    There Is a wee add on circuit one Can diy to subdue the buzz (google for it)
    I also wouldn't recommend the Audio Weenie; 'Bigger is better' notion.
    Often causing..more.. issues than it claims to 'address'.
    Thanks Danilo

I had not considered that. However I do not want any more boxes and I think the hum will still be there from the transformer windings in the frame.
    Will google the other mod. cheers

danilo Guest

Welll.. it's IMO a decent solution.. An Audio Weenie approved one too. More boxes are a Badge of Honor.
    Those pesky Tx's often Hum into the Amp casework, Mains power, 50 or 60hz, geography dependant.
    Isolating the rascals .. rubber pads Work.. on the Hummmm.
    But it can Bite one, did for me .. sending the buzz into the circuitry ultimately the speakers. Far worse.
    If the Tx is in a stand alone box then it can happily Hummm away.
    Placing the humming box on a towel or something more elegant if you prefer.. Works!

I'm Philip.

Hope you don't mind me resurrecting an old thread Martin but I'm just about to order the torodial transformer that you suggested to me in my classified add a few weeks ago. I'm not confident working with transformers though so I wanted to get some advice on how to wire this one in.

It's the Nuvotem Talema 230ac 2 x 35v. I'm fairly sure that I should be wiring each of the secondary positives to the rectifier, and then binding the negatives together and grounding them, in my case to a bridge between the PS smoothing caps.

Because I'm new to electronics, and because I'm aware of there being different ways to wire a transformer up, and certainly because I don't want to blow anything up, I would appreciate anyones thoughts here.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers...

I'm Martin.

Let me dig out the paperwork tomorrow and I will see if I can find the original photos showing connections to the existing transformer wiring. A picture paints a thousand words!

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCrumb View Post
    Hope you don't mind me resurrecting an old thread Martin but I'm just about to order the torodial transformer that you suggested to me in my classified add a few weeks ago. I'm not confident working with transformers though so I wanted to get some advice on how to wire this one in.

It's the Nuvotem Talema 230ac 2 x 35v. I'm fairly sure that I should be wiring each of the secondary positives to the rectifier, and then binding the negatives together and grounding them, in my case to a bridge between the PS smoothing caps.

Because I'm new to electronics, and because I'm aware of there being different ways to wire a transformer up, and certainly because I don't want to blow anything up, I would appreciate anyones thoughts here.

I'm Alex.

I bought my 405 new in 1976, the transformer had a bit of mechanical noise, but not too bad. I didn't use the amp much and later found out that Quad were providing free replacements. I didn't bother. Strangely, the mechanical noise reduced with time and usage.

Some time later I upgraded the op amps and this improved the sound quality noticeably and very cheaply.

In 1987 I upgraded the 405 with the Quad -2 kit. The mechanical noise was pretty well not detectable, however, the sound was not really different to the upgraded op amps stage.

I still have the amp, and it's still quiet.
    Spendorman

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I have five Quad 405s, all having had various modifications and tweeks applied to them, but all use the original potted bi-limboid transformer and none of them hum or buzz.

But I have heard of others experiencing this problem with the Quad mains transformer.

If you use the toroidal transformer cited above, the black and yellow leads should be connected together to the 0V rail (the green wires), and the red and orange leads connect to the bridge rectifier.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast