+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Much....??? (Don't make me laugh)

I'm Neil.

The price of Jammy Dodgers has got crazy recently. Never mind the increasing down grading in the size of stuff in the packets. Paying more, for less.
    Regards Neil

I'm alan.

Neil .....Alas this is a true reflection of most biscuits.

The wrapper grows the content shrinks

When did you last measure yer head.....!!!!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by thingfish View Post
    Neil .....Alas this is a true reflection of most biscuits.

The wrapper grows the content shrinks

When did you last measure yer head.....!!!!
    Its amazing how much is revealed by so little
    Regards Neil

I'm alan.

Ah tis perhaps revelations and not the truth you seek Neil........

Ponder yon.......

Behold, I have set before you an open door, which no one is able to shut. I know that you have but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Huv ye seen the price of boiler suits these days, especially cheeky wee red ones like these:

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Not tae mention pure gorgeous grey 'taps', like these, fae Matalan:

Now sold with packs of sports socks, for more than two fivers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gary.

In my opinion it's up to the individual what they want to pay for things.
    What does annoy me is when somebody who has paid a lot for something tries to.
    A. Influence others to do the same by insisting it must be better because it cost more
    B. Suggesting any similar product below a certain price point is inferior.
    C. Anyone disagreeing with A and B is blind/deaf/stupid.

Avoiding hifi for an example, it's pretty much a quantifiable fact that Japanese and Korean cars are more reliable than German cars. Yet German car owners (and motoring journalists) still harp on about their quality.
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    A. Influence others to do the same by insisting it must be better because it cost more

Avoiding hifi for an example, it's pretty much a quantifiable fact that Japanese and Korean cars are more reliable than German cars. Yet German car owners (and motoring journalists) still harp on about their quality.
    Change the record
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm joe.

We need some new cliches!

Seriously, though, the whole price/value for money thing is such a can of worms. Above the most basic food, shelter and clothing, price ranges are determined by what the market will bear, which in turn is driven by supply and demand. If no-one bought £65 fuses, no-one would sell them. Ditto £100 pairs of jeans, £500 shoes, £5,000 watches and £150,000 cars.

Personally, I couldn't care less what other people choose to spend their money on, and I would expect them to be similarly unconcerned about my spending choices.

Totally agree with this, Gary:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Indeed, fighting the war against overpriced/underperforming 'badge-fi', expensive for the wrong reasons, is fundamentally what AoS is all about. However, this:

...it's pretty much a quantifiable fact that Japanese and Korean cars are more reliable than German cars. Yet German car owners (and motoring journalists) still harp on about their quality.
    ...is more an educated generalisation than a fact, as it it depends on a whole raft of factors, and crucially on comparing like for like within a certain price range. Also, define "quality", in the context of the above? That largely depends on what the car is being used for and what kind of driver you are.

In reality, "quality" means different things to different people, and if you're a genuine car enthusiast and love driving nice, sporty cars with high-performance engines [count me in], what's likely to be ultimately more important to you: driving a boring car that's reliable and lasts for years, or one that lasts for not quite as long, but puts a BIG GRIN on your face, every time you get behind the wheel?

BMW 330i M Sport vs. Toyota Camry Hybrid 2.5? I know which one I'd choose, even if it didn't last as long or needed more work to maintain!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast