+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 71 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Grounding boxes - The real deal

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nope, if you lie them down on the ground horizontally (flat), and star-earth them together that way, then cover the whole area with conductive concrete, you get a more effective earth than simply ramming rods down lengthwise into the ground. Trust me, I've tested (and even measured) it both ways! Well, the electrician did...

That's why in professional installations, they use what's called an earth lattice mat: https://churchillsc.co.uk/earth-mat-lattice-copper

From link above: "Lattice copper earth plates are usually used in situations where its very difficult to knock earth rods into the ground. The plates are usually placed a meter in the ground and because of the surface area will usually generate good readings".

I've done a similar thing with rods, creating a square, and with the final rod running diagonally from corner to corner

I should've really used another one and created a cross in the middle, but at the time didn't think of that until it was too late!

Marco.
    Ahh! Yes. I recall when Marco excavated the garden around his house to accommodate his modest grounding scheme!

MAC29_PHOTO ESSAY_NAIL HOUSES by Steve Coward, on Flickr
    Steve.

My System:- dCS Vivaldi Transport + dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC + dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock + dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Aurender N20 Music Server/Streamer, TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L & Audio Technica ART20 mc's, Whest Titan Pro, D'Agostino Momentum HD pre/S250 MxV power amp, TAD CR-1 MKII loudspeakers, REL Gibraltar G2 subs, Coherent Systems BD Mains, interconnects & speaker cables, Sablon Audo EVO USB cable, Tellurium Q Ultra Silver power cords, Ziro Disclosure & Vertex Roraima Hi-Rez power cords + Furutech FI connectors, Stillpoints ESS racks/component stands, Vertex Aletheia PSU2 balanced power supply, Coherent Systems RTZ3 ground box + CR/BD cables, Acoustica Applicata DaaD room treatment, Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopants View Post
    Mike

The network transformer is likely to be 10 years old , they have been sat in a control systems engineers drawer for 10 years at work. The model i have is the 570 but i see some 580 ones on US ebay with starting from 10$.

The guy on the AV forum who put me on to this linked this offering from RS https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/signa...oning/7511392/
    Thanks Martin
    Will keep an eye out for one
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Neal.

Ethernet is inherently isolated. If you need greater surge protection say 5kv+ as in medical instruments then an isolator will provide it. The issues arise when you start using STP cable which will connect the ground planes of both end point devices together.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdog View Post
    Ahh! Yes. I recall when Marco excavated the garden around his house to accommodate his modest grounding scheme!

MAC29_PHOTO ESSAY_NAIL HOUSES by Steve Coward, on Flickr
    You may laugh but the size of the 'earth mat' system used in over-the-horizon radars (which operate in the 10s of MHz) are of that size, if not larger.
    Barry

I'm Kevin.

63 pages, and not many people are more aware of how these things work.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    63 pages, and not many people are more aware of how these things work.
    True, but some very useful and informative links have been discovered.

These 'grounding boxes' just didn't happen by accident. Their designers must have some idea of how and why they work - or was it a case of give enough designers enough bits of metal, gravel, broken glass, crystals, and someone will come up with a grounding box?

I worked in a laboratory where microwave absorbing materials were developed. They were, IMO, developed using 5% theory and 95% trial and error!
    Barry

I'm Kevin.

At the prices they sell for, there is enough room for trial and error.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Ian.

The chat about perception reminded me of an incident that took place when I was a student doing night watchman duties in a large metal plating factory. I'd got used to the place clunking away as the vats cooled over several nights but on this particular night I was walking along the central path through the warehouse when i got a very peculiar feeling to the extent that the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. Wondering what was going on I suddenly saw a barn owl fly over my head! I'm pretty sure I can't have heard it approaching but I did sort of sense it coming. I don't actually think this is relevant to listening to music but I do believe we can sense stuff other than the obvious. I was at a meeting on Saturday where Alan plugged in his box of tricks. Although I pulled his leg a bit the first time he switched it in and out I had a "feeling" something had changed. With subsequent swaps I couldn't hear a difference - go figure

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Ethernet is inherently isolated. If you need greater surge protection say 5kv+ as in medical instruments then an isolator will provide it. The issues arise when you start using STP cable which will connect the ground planes of both end point devices together.
    Neal im not qualified remotely in electronics however;

Before i put this transformer in, a few weeks ago I did an experiment as i thought that my through the power network extender was was potentially an issue holding back my system. My network is router in the hall, network in power extender in the hall, network power extender in the hifi wall socket, netgear 5 port switch feeding apple Tv and TDAI3400.

My hifi network cables are chord c stream which is shielded per conducter and a sheat shield, but the router end is UTP. I took a 15m UTP cat 6 cable and ran it directly from my router to the Network switch. Played 4 tracks i knew well, then took it out and played them again with the in power network extender. Sat with my wife i thought i heard a very small improvement to the high end with cymbals etc. My wife said i was imagining it and it certainly wasnt enough to motivate me to put in a direct hard line.

Now with the transformer in between the hifi in power extender and the network switch seriously big improvements. I still have netgear switch on an smps but i keep it on a seperate power strip to the rest of the hifi with the cd player that i dont really use. The only other thing i changed was re organising the cables in the netgear so i used 1 in 3 apple tv and 5 tdai. Previously i was using 123.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    I was at a meeting on Saturday where Alan plugged in his box of tricks. Although I pulled his leg a bit the first time he switched it in and out I had a "feeling" something had changed. With subsequent swaps I couldn't hear a difference - go figure
    So not the night and day difference that some have reported?
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 71 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast