+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning CDs, to do or foo?

I'm Peter.

I have some of the Art du Son cleaner. It works. I have 2 copies of a number of CDs and tried before and after cleaning comparing treated and non-treated. Before they sounded identical, after one was cleaned the cleaned disc sounded better. And expectation bias not relevant as I got someone else to play the CDs blind and I choose the cleaned disc more often than statistically random. My mate could not detect the cleaned cd, so the differences were subtle (but noticeable) and he has self-confessed cloth ears.

I'm Martin.

How many trials did you do?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    How many trials did you do?
    3 or 4 CDs. It was some time ago now.

I'm Martin.

No I mean how many trials did you do with each CD? You've got to do quite a few to get away from random chance. A coin can land heads ten times in a row.

I've done ad hoc blind tests myself and it's been enough to convince me as it convinced you, but if I was going to try to convince anyone else they wouldn't be anything like rigorous enough.

The more unlikely the claim, the more rigorous the test needs to be. In this case for the fluid to improve sound quality as opposed to just making the disc play without skips or drop outs, then the people who designed CD would have to be wrong about the way it actually works. Or there is something completely unknown involved in how it works. So you need to be sure that your test wasn't flawed in some way. Since that is the most likely explanation.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Drew.

Very well put, I'd be inclined to agree with all points...

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

The more unlikely the claim, the more rigorous the test needs to be. In this case for the fluid to improve sound quality as opposed to just making the disc play without skips or drop outs, then the people who designed CD would have to be wrong about the way it actually works. Or there is something completely unknown involved in how it works. So you need to be sure that your test wasn't flawed in some way. Since that is the most likely explanation.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckworp View Post
    the cleaned disc sounded better
    Why?

Assuming you have CD's that are clean and in good condition anyway. What could the Art du Son cleaner possibly be doing to explain this?

I'm Grant.

Ive got a few doubles that I could try this with. even might have some of that cleaner too.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Bob.

I just cleaned the wax out of me ears and am now listening to Jon Lords "Durham Suite" sounds superb
    System a mixture of old and new.

Speakers Tannoy Cheviot, Amp Pioneer receiver but looking for something new, Source Xbox One X (For everything) via a Panasonic 65inch 4k HDR TV.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by bobvfr View Post
    I just cleaned the wax out of me ears and am now listening to Jon Lords "Durham Suite" sounds superb
    Through Tannoy Cheviots? That'll blow the wax out of anyone's ears man.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Timothy.

Yikes, I might recommend stuffing that wax back in there! Hah, kidding of course....
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast