+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Art Audio Quintet in Triode mode

I'm Don.

Thanks Geoff..
    BTW, a great piece of free software...
    https://www.techsmith.com/jing-tool.html

allows you to capture pics and edit with dialogue..V. useful!

I'm Mike.

Ive had various Art Audio amps including a quintet.
    Not all have the switch....but it isn't a huge amount of work to change either way.
    From what I understand the newer versions run cooler and if you've not had it serviced in 5+ years Id suggest it would be worth doing so.
    I had my Concerto changed from Pentode to Triode which gave better clarity and some sweetness in my set up.
    Equally my brother had his quintet changed from Triode to Pentode. His is an integrated and he was somewhat short of gain so the extra watts meant that his has more authority throughout the range...
    Id suggest Tom would advise as appropriate
    StSt Motus DQ + SME 312 'MB Special'
    Transfix Axia / HM7
    Art Audio Vinyl 1 Ref
    Modified Mac Mini/Weiss DAC 202
    SJS Model 2
    BP P20 (SJS upgraded)
    Trenner and Friedl RA
    [/SIZE]

montesquieu Guest

Well I've never had an Art Audio but on other amps including Jadis where switching/conversion was possible (either KT88 or EL34 amps) I've personally found that while triode mode can add sweetness, it typically took away the oomph at the bottom end ... for me the ultralinear or pentode option was always better.

YMVV of course but personally I think amps that use pentode/beam tetrode tubes are (for the most part, unless they have special transformers explicitly designed/intended for the purpose) better run in ultralinear or pentode rather than triode. Indeed most switchable amps have in the main disappointed from my perspective.

If you really want triodes I would suggest going for a triode amp, I had great results with a Puresound 2A3 which got 18w from 2A3s run in PP AB mode and was surprisingly good. You'd be lucky to get 15w from EL34s triode strapped and none of the DHT juicyness.

I'm Geoff.

Having had an Art Audio Quintet for over 25 years I would make two points. First, triode mode is where the magic is. Second, one cannot predict which speakers will work in triode mode and it is pointless to generalise from other amps.

When I bought the Quintet I had the taps set to 16 ohms for my nominally 15 ohm Rogers LS3/5a speakers. I listen to music at quite high volume levels and with a Croft preamp, never felt the combo lacked power. In fact, the synergy between amp and speakers was (near) perfect.

More recently, I took the opportunity of a service visit to Tom Willis to have the amp settings changed to 8 ohms to better match my current speakers. The Quintet proved to be a superb match to my Reference 3a de Capo speakers. Admittedly, this is an efficient speaker with no-crossover to ap power, but in triode mode there was no shortage of power and excellent bass quality and extension.

My advice is to treat triode mode as the default mode and only abandon it if your speakers present too demanding a load.

Geoff

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Well I've never had an Art Audio but on other amps including Jadis where switching/conversion was possible (either KT88 or EL34 amps) I've personally found that while triode mode can add sweetness, it typically took away the oomph at the bottom end ... for me the ultralinear or pentode option was always better.

YMVV of course but personally I think amps that use pentode/beam tetrode tubes are (for the most part, unless they have special transformers explicitly designed/intended for the purpose) better run in ultralinear or pentode rather than triode. Indeed most switchable amps have in the main disappointed from my perspective.

If you really want triodes I would suggest going for a triode amp, I had great results with a Puresound 2A3 which got 18w from 2A3s run in PP AB mode and was surprisingly good. You'd be lucky to get 15w from EL34s triode strapped and none of the DHT juicyness.
    Yep, your findings pretty much mirror my own. I have always found ultralinear operation way more dynamic and forceful which suits most of my music.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post

My advice is to treat triode mode as the default mode and only abandon it if your speakers present too demanding a load.
    It may well be that the Art Audio amps are designed primarily for triode strapping in which case I guess the transformers would be specced accordingly. I was just reporting that my past experiences with switchable amps has always resulted in me preferring ultralinear or pentode.

It's pretty rare speakers though that can really sing consistently across the full frequency range and with all types of music on 15w max output.

I'm Don.

Default A Bit like Marnite...

Title meant to Read "A bit like Marmite" hicup!

Yes, I can see both point of views, although how many amps out there have a switch for Triode operation.. not many!

Just to put the spanner in the works,,,we've all had some regrets in our pasts, and my one was selling a pair of Leak TL50's converted to triode mode,,,
    I bought the pair in 1995....and they needed a service as they weren't well. At the time. GT Audio was the knight in shining Armour in the Valve world,,,,and on the recommendation of the holy scriptures in those days (HiFi World) he was the man who could.

Unfortunately after throwing copious amounts of money at them plus 2 new output transformers plus 5 months later... Graham couldn't fix them! He gave up...

At the same time, there was a gentleman based in Leytonstone who also advertised in HiFi World winding Transformers to spec. I gave him a call, told him my woes....he said "bring them down and i'll see what I can do."

3 weeks later, i got a call, "Come on down and have a listen"
    He had converted the KT88 TL50's into Triode mode.

I was blown away...I cannot emphasize how majestic these amplifiers sounded...and have never experience such a feeling since (still chasing that dragon, like most of us in the HiFi fraternity,,,)

I was really blessed...I was in possession of a formidable setup...Spendor BC3's Reworked Croft Epoch to Elite With a chrome front from Glenn... Martin Bastin plinth plus a NOS Garrard 401 RB300 plus Notts Analogue Cart plus 110v supply,,,I was in heaven! My 30 year old ears were embracing the musical fruits of Angels, I was that close to God!

But it ended the day I had to sell most of my precious kit to fund laminate (German Gloss mahogany) flooring for our new house in 2000,,,there was no way out, Mum Dad Bank said No, the amps had to go! The buyer came all the way from the Isle of Wight to London, I never forgot his Cheshire cat grin through the audition. I;m sure he is still smiling!

Life has never been the same since, "the drugs didn't work," counselling failed .....but every morning, I wake up and stare at my polished Laminate flooring. and sometimes, not all the time, I sure I can see distant reflections of warm golden GEC KT88's lighting up my face,,,,
    Last edited by donmarrese; 27-07-2018 at 23:25.

I'm Ian.

I would have to agree with Tom (montesquieu) and say that the Art Audio amps are designed primarily for triode strapping.
    Strangely enough, I even find the bass to be better in triode mode.

I bought mine last year and the more I listen, the more I am certain that I made the correct choice.
    They even drive my B&W DM70's to reasonable levels.

Don, if you are still checking this thread, did you sort out your Art Audio's?
    I have spoken to Tom from Art Audio and found him to be a great help.
    In the near future I hope to send mine in for a service.

Ian

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by iscm View Post
    Don, if you are still checking this thread, did you sort out your Art Audio's?
    I have spoken to Tom from Art Audio and found him to be a great help.
    In the near future I hope to send mine in for a service.

Ian
    Hi Ian
    yes the beast went back to Tom, and he sorted it out pretty quickly. Looks like a faulty Valve caused overheating of wires...Transformers are in perfect order, and on recommendation, I purchased a set of his sourced and matched EL34's. The amp is now back up and running, in fixed Triode mode. Tom removed the switch, although giving me the choice, I preferred less circuit and a Triode sound.

I'm pleased with the results, but earlier last month, I went a bit potty on buying a load of GL75's to renovate, so I'm having to sell the Quintet on to raise some cash (on the bay at the mo)...and I already have a 4 valve amps in the wings staring at me waiting to be used...so surplus to stock...haven't got round to putting up on here..

Don

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12