+ Reply to Thread
Page 226 of 609 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236276326 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,260 of 6088

Thread: Car (or bike) Chat!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I wonder if the thousands of nay sayers on t'internet have no central heating in their houses, somehow managed to get their Sinclair Spectrum to connect to the internet, only watch 3 TV channels on a black and white CRT television and still carry a bag of 10ps and 2ps for the phone box ‘cos owning a mobile phone isn’t like "the good old days?"
    Lol... Exactly which "naysayers" are you referring to, sweety?

Once I know that, I'll respond accordingly, save to say that I hate central heating (its dry, artificial heat gives me a headache), and I've always had access to a real coal/log fire in every house I've lived in, which in my view are better than any modern form of heating, and that I love 'retro computers', DETEST smartphones (what they stand for in today's society), and find old red phone boxes rather 'cute'!!

So I would fundamentally disagree that "everything progresses", at least certainly not always for the better...

Marco.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    maybe 85 actuators under the ecu, as opposed to 85 ecu's
    Apparently not according to what I've read:

From this article - but 85 was also mentioned in the Drivetribe review too.

Overall, the new Defender – unlike the old, which wouldn’t recognize a microprocessor if it ran over one – has no less than 85 ECUs, 14 of which control the engine, braking and other key systems and can be updated over the air. An embedded diagnostic system constantly informs dealers of any issues the SUV might be having, which, says Land Rover, means your parts could be waiting for you when you arrive for your service appointment.

Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol... Exactly which "naysayers" are you referring to, sweety?
    I suspect "Facebook" won't be your thing either, then!? I'm a member of various Land Rover groups on there, and there are many died-in-the wool hair-shirt-wearing Land Rover enthusiasts who hate the idea of a modern Defender and think is it sacrilege to call it by that name...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I suspect "Facebook" won't be your thing either, then!?
    Lol no... Don't do Facebook, Twitter or any other forms of banal, mind-numbing social media. In that respect, this place should be enough for anyone!

Seriously though, I don't post on any Merc forums, car-modifying forums, football forums, food forums, wine forums, or forums pertaining to any other 'interests' I reputedly have or otherwise, such as crossdressing

They can take up WAY too much of your time, as you well know, dahling!

Anyway, thanks for the clarification

Marco.

I'm Adam.

Apparently not according to what I've read:

From this article - but 85 was also mentioned in the Drivetribe review too.

Oh Christ, that’s the last vestige of reliability out of the window then!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Geoff.

No doubt the New Defender will have been refined to the point where it drives like a Discovery, have monocoque construction instead of a proper separate chassis and any 'tinkery' bits designed out.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Lol no... Don't do Facebook, Twitter or any other forms of banal, mind-numbing social media. In that respect, this place should be enough for anyone!
    Regards Facebook et al, it's like anything - used properly and in moderation it's a great tool. I only joined when we had the first nipper, but being able to share photos easily for grandparents etc. was a godsend, and it keeps me in touch with old colleagues and friends. So yes, a lot of it can be as you describe, but it is no different really to a forum, just a different tool for the job if you keep control of it rather than letting it control you.
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    No doubt the New Defender will have been refined to the point where it drives like a Discovery, have monocoque construction instead of a proper separate chassis and any 'tinkery' bits designed out.
    Exactly that - really, it should be the new Discovery IMHO. (I hate the look of the current one, this one I could live with.)

Problem is I think Jaguar Land Rover have too many vehicles competing in the same space - and the difference between a basic spec and top spec is crazy on all models - almost double on the new Defender from the base model to the "X".
    Alex

Regards Facebook et al, it's like anything - used properly and in moderation it's a great tool.
    Sure, but only if used properly and your lifestyle lends itself to it. Mine doesn't, so trust me, I'd benefit in no way whatsoever from being on Facebook. Quite the opposite. It'd do my tits in, as present company excluded, I can't stand some of the tossers on it!

Most of my friends now live locally, or within a reasonable car drive. Plus, I see the closest members of my family regularly, as they'll come to visit me, or I'll visit them, and if I want to contact them outside of that, I can email them, or shock horror, phone them up for a chat on a LANDLINE PHONE!

Remember those?

So honestly, other than when I'm on here, I can't be arsed sitting typing pish to folk on the Internet - just isn't me. I'd rather exist in the real world, than a virtual one.

Marco [rresolutely refuses to conform to today's 'norm'. simply because he doesn't have to].

I'm Jon.

Any views on this, Gary? Your silence is deafening!

Marco.
    Very nice, but been there and done that (and some).
    The ST will be taken to around 280-290bhp with a map, bigger intercooler, exhaust and induction, but cosmetically it’ll stay the same as it is now.
    At some point these will start to rise in price and nothing hurts that more than adding a boat load of modifications. I may get another car and store this and just use it a few times a year to blow the cobwebs out.
    As for me saying i’ve been there and done that..
    Pic of my old track/road car (at RAF Marham Richard Burns charity day) that i sold a few years ago. If you like a low and a firm ride, this would have shaken your teeth out. All round coilovers, chassis and strut braces, plus fully poly bushed. Driving it over to the Ring was painful to say the least. In fact just driving it to Snetterton every month was fairly unpleasant.

Also a video someone took of me when a bunch of us took people out for a quick spin on the auto test track (for charity of course).
    Thats how a turbo should sound, although the turbo i was using at the time was far too laggy for that track and it was slippery as ice.
    Thats my excuse anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhAyqVcSjn8

And, in case you were wondering my real name is Jon/Jonathan, Gary is a nickname thats stuck due to me “Garrying” up a fair amount of my own and others cars over the years.

+ Reply to Thread