+ Reply to Thread
Page 420 of 512 FirstFirst ... 320370410418419420421422430470 ... LastLast
Results 4,191 to 4,200 of 5114

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

So, whisky or whiskey, I’ve been trying a few over the past couple of years after not being able to touch the stuff for more than twenty years... (long story short, got the most drunk I have ever been at my first stag night and pretty sure I nearly died...!)

Anyway, I’ve decided I’m a Speyside man, not keen on peaty whiskies or anything with a medicinal hint, and my favourite slurp is the bog standard Tamnavulin - I’ve tried their sherry and red wine casket editions but still prefer the normal double cask version.

I’d like to try something a bit more upmarket, but don’t want to spend a shed load of dosh and it not be in the same style. Any recommendations?
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    Tomorrow Marco, was on grandparent duty earlier
    Tomorrow is now here.... So the verdict is??

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    So, whisky or whiskey, I’ve been trying a few over the past couple of years after not being able to touch the stuff for more than twenty years... (long story short, got the most drunk I have ever been at my first stag night and pretty sure I nearly died...!)

Anyway, I’ve decided I’m a Speyside man, not keen on peaty whiskies or anything with a medicinal hint, and my favourite slurp is the bog standard Tamnavulin - I’ve tried their sherry and red wine casket editions but still prefer the normal double cask version.

I’d like to try something a bit more upmarket, but don’t want to spend a shed load of dosh and it not be in the same style. Any recommendations?
    Grant's your man, dude. You'll catch him when he wakes up tomorrow, around 9am!

Can we talk Rioja until then - or what's your favourite red these days?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Yeah, of course Grant the first person this was aimed at!

Still very much a Rioja man, and for every day drinking it’s whatever is on offer from the supermarkets from the usual suspects (Campo Viejo, Faustino, Torres etc.) but my special occasion “go to” I get from the Adnams shops - a Suffolk Brewer (Ghost Ship) But also have a few shops around the county:
    The Reserva is very good too, but this is lovely for a treat at £20.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Interesting...Not had that one before. Will add it to my wanted list!

If you can find them, give either of these a go, particularly the Gran Oristan (£13.99) - lovely woody vanilla oak, with bags of unctuously jammy fruit flavours!

Oh, and I haven't seen any of your '70s specials' steak dinners on the food thread for ages, so get it fixed!

I've been missin' yer wee 'specially shaped' grilled tomatoes!

Marco.
    Main System

I will definitely search those out - as you know I love a bit of wood!

Next time I do a “Bernie Inn Special” I’ll be sure to post!
    Alex

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Tomorrow is now here.... So the verdict is??

Marco.
    Very nice , does need to be decanted, first glass was ok , but second was better , very enjoyable and great value, especially with steak. We had friends over thankful they also thought it was decent.
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I will definitely search those out - as you know I love a bit of wood!

Next time I do a “Bernie Inn Special” I’ll be sure to post!
    Yesh I know your middle leg's 'aged in oak'...

Aye, the World-Wide Web is always braced for one of yer Berni (no 'e') specials, so next time you get jiggy with a gigot chop - fire up a pic!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin626 View Post
    Very nice , does need to be decanted, first glass was ok , but second was better , very enjoyable and great value, especially with steak. We had friends over thankful they also thought it was decent.
    Excellent news. It's silly-cheap for the quality on offer. Did you have it with a meal or did you just enjoy it on its own?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Excellent news. It's silly-cheap for the quality on offer. Did you have it with a meal or did you just enjoy it on its own?

Marco.
    With the meal and then another glass on its own
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

+ Reply to Thread