+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 512 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Don't they have any at £2.99 Barry? Those three for a tenner at the Co-Op are alright
    Ah! If you had wanted a 'three for a tenner', then Tesco were making such an offer over the Mother's Day period on their 'Mason de Michael' - a good mid week slurp.

Regards

(Appreciate your response to my comment concerning your avatar, but I prefer the original silver-faced android cops you used to use. Either that, or "the hookah-smoking caterpillar"!)
    Barry

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    Tesco have this on offer at the moment; half price at £4.99 a bottle:

Castello San Lorenzo Rioja Reserva 2004.

Tempranillo, mazuelo and graciana grapes.
    "Richly flavoured and spicy, combining ripe plum and dried fruit characters with cinnamon and vanilla".

If you feel the 2004 is too young, buy a few bottles and lay them down (if only for a fortnight Marco ). Or buy the 2001 at £14.99, also available in Tesco.

A votre santé
    Thanks Barry - already picked up on this one, not a bad Rioja, certainly at the half-price offer very good value.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Today i had a couple of pints of Batemans hooker ' lovely beer ' recommend
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

My local supermarket, formerly Somerfield now a Co-op (and the worse for it) have on offer a 10yr single malt Aberlour at £16.66 for the usual 70cl bottle. The usual sale price is ~£25.

This is my usual whisky, when I'm not drinking Laphroaig or Lagavulin; my favourites.

Regards
    Last edited by Barry; 26-03-2010 at 22:13.
    Barry

Just ordered a case of this:

2007 Château Capbern Gasqueton, Sainte- Estèphe.

"Delicate violet aromas belie a wealth of blackcurrent richness typical of Cabernet lead clarets of Saint- Estèphe - with added elegance and sophistication found in all the wines associated with Château Calon-Ségur." (Château Calon-Ségur run Château Capbern Gasquiton.)

Said to be "The Lafite of Sainte-Estèphe", Laithwaites are offering this at £13 a bottle for a minimum of 6 bottles. Normally it would cost £18 a bottle.

A bottle of Château Calon-Ségur, Sainte- Estèphe, would set you back ~£35!

Regards
    Last edited by Barry; 26-03-2010 at 22:36.
    Barry

I'm notAlone.

Very good buy, Barry. A great Medoc, indeed. Used to be part of the Calon-Ségur vines.
    You shouldn't open it before a couple of years, at least, in my opinion.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    Very good buy, Barry. A great Medoc, indeed. Used to be part of the Calon-Ségur vines.
    You shouldn't open it before a couple of years, at least, in my opinion.
    Thanks for that Dimitri. I'm starting to lay down wines these days, but am still learning.

I'll toast the end of the Mayan calendar; and hence the end of the world with a bottle!

Regards
    Barry

I'm Chris.

My daily guzzle: First Cape Limited Release Merlot 2009 Western Cape, South Africa £6.99 at a supermarket near you. No messing with sodding corks
    Chris

Stuff

1. Linux PC with onboard HDA SB/ALC892 24/192 optical S/PDIF and/or USB > TC-7520 (Gator + LM4562NA) > Quad 306 > AVI Neutron 3
    2. Rotel RCD 965BX > TC-7520 ( Gator + LM4562NA) > Hd595
    3. Rpi B+/HifiDigi B+ (with isolation transformer) Running "SqueezeOnArch" - https://github.com/SqueezeOnArch
    Nonsense
    1. Belkin Pure AV (white) phono, Belkin Pure AV (silver) USB, QEd 79-strand speaker cable.
    2. MG belden digital co-ax

I'm notAlone.

It's not too young, a 2009 Merlot ?

I tasted a few (a dozen) "European" assemblages (Merlot, Cabernet, Pinot) last year when I was in South Africa but I found nothing special. Others did like them (or were they too polite ?)
    To my taste, I prefer Pinotage, for instance. Clearly a matter of taste.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm sure Alex is already aware of this, but with the Tesco price reduced from £10 to £6, I ought to bring it to your attention.

2007 Médoc Seigneur D'Albret

60% Cabernet Sauvignon and 40% Merlot.

"... This Médoc has a good colour with blackcurrent aromas and lasting fruit flavours."

It is not château bottled, but at this price it doesn't matter.

Shall be enjoying this tonight with lamb's liver, streaky bacon, roasted shallots and new potatoes, carrots, fine beans, sugarsnap peas and brocolli.

Decadent? Don't care - I'm in celebratory mood.

Regards

PS Marco, when are we going to hear of your views of the 2005 Château Castelbruck Margeaux, or the 2007 Cuvée du Vatican Châteauneuf-du-Pape? You must have sampled one or both by now.

PPS Co-op are still offering Aberlour at £16.99 a bottle.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread