+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HDD failure!!!

I'm Mick.

You could try the WD software to test the drive.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebas...&lang=en&p=110

I have managed to recover drives using similar software.

Bigman80 Guest

Cheers fellas, I'll be looking in to this over the weekend

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    ive 4 wd drives so dont tempt fate by saying they are shoite
    The best software for inspecting drives is G parted Linux which can be downloaded https://gparted.org and run off a USB
    G parted can also attempt data recovery. I find it essential to see what any given issue is with a hard drive.
    and its free ! Its also packaged in a Linux Mint USB which is available here - you don't have to - if you wish to install Mint rather
    just run Gparted when it starts https://linuxmint.com

WD external drives are very specific with their power supply - other than that, which just requires using its plugpack and no other , the one I have has worked perfectly.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    The best software for inspecting drives is G parted Linux which can be downloaded https://gparted.org and run off a USB
    G parted can also attempt data recovery. I find it essential to see what any given issue is with a hard drive.
    and its free ! Its also packaged in a Linux Mint USB which is available here - you don't have to - if you wish to install Mint rather
    just run Gparted when it starts https://linuxmint.com

WD external drives are very specific with their power supply - other than that, which just requires using its plugpack and no other , the one I have has worked perfectly.
    Thanks for that.

Its a WD Passport

I'm Edward.

Oli, is power getting to the passport? Are you using USB power or an external power source? Are there any lights on the passport and if so do they light up? If you are using USB power try a different cable.

I assume you are using a Windows machine. Go to 'Computer management' and then to Storage/Disk Management. This is the equivalent of Gparted that Chris mentioned. If you can see the WD there that will be a very positive sign. But take care in that area don't, for example, muck around with the partitions.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Paul.

Bummer!

Like someone said try thr HDD in another computer or a USB caddy/adapter and see if that works. The EaseUS software is good and so is Recuva which is by the same people who do CCleaner.

I use a QNAP TS-253 PRO set up for RAID1 which means the data gets mirrored onto both HDDs in the unit. I had a one fail and when I replaced the faulty HDD the NAS just mirrored the data from the good drive to the new. I have no issues with Volmio.

Synology and QNAP are probably the better brands to go for. Be careful of WD Myclouds. I’ve heard they have an encryption chip to protect the data on the drive but the chip has been known to fail and if it does it is impossible to decrypt the data on the drives. Other cheaper NAS drives are OK but the data transfere rates over the network can be painfully slow.
    ~Paul~

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Oli, is power getting to the passport? Are you using USB power or an external power source? Are there any lights on the passport and if so do they light up? If you are using USB power try a different cable.

I assume you are using a Windows machine. Go to 'Computer management' and then to Storage/Disk Management. This is the equivalent of Gparted that Chris mentioned. If you can see the WD there that will be a very positive sign. But take care in that area don't, for example, muck around with the partitions.
    Light comes on but it just beeps every few seconds.

No external power source either. The cable provided doesn't have that option.

I'll try what you've suggested.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    Bummer!

Like someone said try thr HDD in another computer or a USB caddy/adapter and see if that works. The EaseUS software is good and so is Recuva which is by the same people who do CCleaner.

I use a QNAP TS-253 PRO set up for RAID1 which means the data gets mirrored onto both HDDs in the unit. I had a one fail and when I replaced the faulty HDD the NAS just mirrored the data from the good drive to the new. I have no issues with Volmio.

Synology and QNAP are probably the better brands to go for. Be careful of WD Myclouds. I’ve heard they have an encryption chip to protect the data on the drive but the chip has been known to fail and if it does it is impossible to decrypt the data on the drives. Other cheaper NAS drives are OK but the data transfere rates over the network can be painfully slow.
    Good info there. I'll avoid anything WD going forward.

I'm Grant.

youtube vid on how to fix maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m5cil6KezI
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Oli, sorry to hear of your HDD failure. Here is some advice and observations for what it’s worth. I have worked in IT for over 30 years and HDD especially spinning ones have a life, in my experience if used daily you’ll be lucky to get 5 years. There are several issues that can cause failure, bearing wears out causing mistracking, bearing/mechanism of read/write arm fails, electronics controlling the thing fail. The drive map is at one part of the drive this is accessed all the time causing wear to the drive.

Generally it’s the read/write head, signs of this getting passed its sell by date are longer times read and writing data, if you run tests to check the drive you will see more block errors. If this is happening it’s time to replace.

So plan to replace every 4-5 years if spinning disk drives. If it is a solid state drive(chips) these fail, they are a mass of miniaturised on/off switches put simply and after a while they will fail through use. Usually failure is catastrophic and can stop any data recovery.

If data is really important then buy a NAS drive with multiple hard drives and set up with RAID so one is a mirror of the main drive, if and when one fails you just pull the failure out and plug in the new one and RAID will then re-copy from the good drive. I would still have another external backup drive that an incremental backup is run to at least once a week.

Plug your failed drive into computer and put it to your ear, if you can hear it repeatedly clicking then the read/write mechanism has failed. If this is the case to recover data the physical drive needs to be taken out and put in another with a good read/write head. Trying to access the data with a failed read/write head may damage the disk(s).

I hope you sort it out ok

All the Best

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast