+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget vintage amps that preferably go 'Cheep!' (like a budgie)

Default Budget vintage amps that preferably go 'Cheep!' (like a budgie)

Hello again,

As discussed in another thread, I'm currently on the look out for a cheap (£250-ish) vintage turntable (I've convinced myself that a Thorens TD 125 is what I want, and I don't think much could deviate me from my path now...). Somewhere in the midst of the myriad informative and helpful posts in that thread, I was recommended to get a replacement amplifier for my old Pioneer SA-408. (Whilst I'm aware it's not a great amp, I am very attached to it.)

Whilst lazily browsing them internets this morning I stumbled across the Arcam A&R A60, and wondered if it might be an appropriate match for my stuffs (a hypothetical-at-the-moment TD 125, and my Tannoy M3 speakers, which I'm guessing aren't going to be a good match to anything). The fact that A60 is available really cheaply is a big plus.

Any thoughts/comments/abuse welcome.

I'm ChrisB.

It's a well liked option in these (AoS) parts. A pretty safe bet and punching way above it's weight for the price you can get one for.

Well there's an easy decision made, thanks.

Just one thing — does the A60 have an integrated phono stage?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I've not heard one myself,but many say they are a rather nice amp.One caveat though,given the age of it,changing the power supply elecrolytic caps would be a very good idea if it hasn't been done already.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    I've not heard one myself,but many say they are a rather nice amp.One caveat though,given the age of it,changing the power supply elecrolytic caps would be a very good idea if it hasn't been done already.
    It sounds like a horrible job; is it difficult?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

As I say,I've never seen one,but if you can hold a soldering iron without burning yourself,I'd say it wouldn't be too difficult.Failing that,there are plenty here,including myself,that would be happy to help.

I'm David.

howard, i am watching a couple of a60's on ebay my self
    if you would like me to hold of bidding on them for your sake, then let me know which ones etc .. im in no hurry it is just as a cheap way to get amplification into the studio and that is fairly low on the list of prioritys
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

As I say,I've never seen one,but if you can hold a soldering iron without burning yourself,I'd say it wouldn't be too difficult.Failing that,there are plenty here,including myself,that would be happy to help.
    Ha, yeah, I have held a soldering iron, and no-one suffered significant injuries, so hopefully I'll be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish
    howard, i am watching a couple of a60's on ebay my self
    if you would like me to hold of bidding on them for your sake, then let me know which ones etc .. im in no hurry it is just as a cheap way to get amplification into the studio and that is fairly low on the list of prioritys
    Oh no, thank you for the offer, but they're all yours if you want them — I'm still not really in a position to actually buy an amp yet. I need to work out how much my turntable will cost me first, and anything left over might be able to go towards an amp. Like you, it's not top of my priority list!

I'm also reading too many interesting threads here — I'm now looking at those cheap Chinese tube amps on eBay. I've never heard a tube amp before, and wonder if now should be my time...

I'm inthescottishmafia.

What speakers do you have? Another good choice is an original Sugden a21.Lovely class A amp.Not too powerful though,so easy to drive speakers would be needed.

What speakers do you have? Another good choice is an original Sugden a21.Lovely class A amp.Not too powerful though,so easy to drive speakers would be needed.
    Tannoy Mercury M3. I imagine they're hard to drive?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast