+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: harbeth factory tour video

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Yes I could use calcualtions but you'd have to be bonkers to do that.
    Indeed, but my point was that's what happened in the old days, and it still resulted in some truly magnificent speakers being produced. We're going round in circles now

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - paper cones don't seem to hold back the sound of my Tannoy DCs in any way!
    And, pretty much every quality loudspeaker I've heard using paper cones has, to my ears, sounded fantastic.
    Yes, I had my doubts as I was writing that. I was referring to paper cones that have the pressed-in ridges and the edge of the cone is very er..."papery". They have quite a distinctive sound when you scratch the cone and that seems to impart a pleasant quality to guitar amps. They're also run as "full range" so there's nothing to roll them off before their break-up frequency. I'm sure the paper cones in Tannoys etc. are made differently and employed differently.

Yes, I'm sure they are. It does rather highlight the danger of making absolutist statements...

No worries

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm matt.

Changing the subject slightly, do all Tannoy dc speakers sound good at low volume? I had some system 10 dmt monitors and the best thing about them was how good they sounded at very low volume.

Absolutely - that's one of the best things about them! And about the high-efficiency approach to loudspeakers design

The opposite, for me, always seems rather 'arse about face'...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

Btw, you can also have 'emotional investment' in modern speakers, especially if you've paid a fortune for them, and WANT them to be the best!

Marco.
    HeHe . Like that!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm matt.

Absolutely - that's one of the best things about them! And about the high-efficiency approach to loudspeakers design

The opposite, for me, always seems rather 'arse about face'...

Marco.
    I just built some high-efficiency loudspeakers but unfortunately they don't sound anywhere near as good as my old Tannoys did at low volume - Think I know why now...

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Changing the subject slightly, do all Tannoy dc speakers sound good at low volume? I had some system 10 dmt monitors and the best thing about them was how good they sounded at very low volume.
    As mentioned I first heard Tannoy's completely blind, I had no idea what make of speakers were playing as they went through a demo of about 5 sets of speakers, I was across a large room, but had to investigate this one particular speaker as it appeared as though the music being played was singing to me.

Again as others have mentioned in this thread and others, most speakers are a compromise of philosophy, design, cost and much more, I haven't listened to Harbeth speakers and I am sure they have their following just as Tannoy do, and I freely accept I am a fan of pre move to Coatbridge Tannoy DC speakers.

But I have to say the idea of the Tannoy dual cone speakers seems to solve a lot of issues for me, they appear to be very untroubled by directional issues, you can listen to them from almost any angle and they still sing, being on the larger side they also have no problem handling bass, they seem much less "Pushed" when it comes to lower midrange and bass notes, I suppose this is why a violin is small and a double bass is large. I have listened to my Cheviots daily for over 40 years, I have had them in large rooms, small rooms even awkward rooms with one time effectively having them pushed together as a mono speaker with stuff piled on top of them, they obviously sound better in a well laid out room with space, but sound good in a poor room , just so pleased I got them back a couple of months ago after a few years absence with them left in my old house all by themselves.

I currently have the telly on (Not actually watching) with Steptoe and Son showing, the volume is low as I have been on the phone, you wouldn't know they were large speakers, just a couple of people talking to each other with a bit of canned laughter thrown in, but put some music on or a film soundtrack and up the volume and they really do let the music do the talking.

I listen to all sorts of music, blues, rock, prog, pop, classical and even the odd bit of jazz, but if you really want to hear them letting go, put on something like "Archie Wah Wah" by Desmond Decker at any volume (OK it still sounds good at low volume but if you want to smile, turn it up a bit).

No surprise that in the seventies if you went past the Tannoy factory in Norwood most of the people outside in the finishing areas were West Indians, by working there they could get a very good discount and enjoy their music using speakers that would normally have been out of their price range.

Now up to 007 (Shanty town) by DD, sounds like swimming in melted chocolate with a firework display going off at the same time :-)
    Last edited by bobvfr; 07-12-2017 at 17:32.

I'm Phil.

i used to go to a big church in the middle of the high street in west norwood [st lukes] and the church bells were actually tannoy speakers as the factory was nearby . sounded pretty good
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Bob.

Just by the cemetery where the road splits, go past it most days on me way into work. The Tannoy factory was just two side streets and a railway line away, about 200 yards.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast