+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Raspberry pi and the delights of invisible media!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm John.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post

Bigman80 Guest

Spent a couple of hours comparing Tidal to HD files on the SSD and CD Rips in Flac on the SSD.

Ive compared Wifi Vs Ethernet, Memory card vs all of the above and Pi3+ Vs Pi 2.

What a pain in the arse all that was.

So here is my conclusive conclusion.

Tidal Vs HD files on SSD

Tidal is not floating my boat. It sounds like all the horrid digital stuff i have tried and avoided previously. I emailed Tidal and they called me with some advice to improve the quality but it made little if any difference. Impressed with the customer service.

HD Files via SDD are superb. I can't find a fault with it so on we go.

HD Files on SSD Vs CD Rip on on SSD

Again, superb. Maybe a little less resolution but i'd be lying if i said i was convinced.

Happy with either.

USB Stick 3.0 Vs SSD

If you can hear a difference, Well done!. Both are superb and to be honest, I wasn't aware of any issues or major differences.

All of the above Vs Memory Card.

Getting bored. Not convinced one is better than the other. Used via 3.0 USB adaptor

WiFi Vs Ethernet

Ok, streaming via Tidal was better via Ethernet. Using the Pi via Volumio for stored files, No difference at all.

Pi2 Vs Pi 3+

Pi 3+ is far better. It's cleaner, bass is tighter. The transparency is better and the performers are more spaced out. Imaging improved greatly. The Pi 2 sounds ike everything is in the middle. Not any more. Spend £30 and upgrade your Pi2

There you go. I will be using a Pi3+ via SSD to play stored files and control it via Volumio, connected to the Wifi.

I'm Svend.

Thank you Oliver! Finally some clarity in this Pi thing. Not to seem ungrateful for all the suggestions and recommendations about this psu and that drive, etc., but all of it was getting me more and more confused. I was ready to give up and just buy a Bluesound streamer, plug it in and be done. That last post of yours just got me keen to try a Pi again. Well done! So helpful.

Cheers,
    Svend

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Thank you Oliver! Finally some clarity in this Pi thing. Not to seem ungrateful for all the suggestions and recommendations about this psu and that drive, etc., but all of it was getting me more and more confused. I was ready to give up and just buy a Bluesound streamer, plug it in and be done. That last post of yours just got me keen to try a Pi again. Well done! So helpful.

Cheers,
    Svend
    Thanks Svend!

In my opinion, which has been formed in a week lol, Pi3+, Allo DAC or Any DAC hat for that matter to get going, Volumio, Ethernet cable, Micro SD card and some form of file storage is the easiest way to go.

EAC from CD to FLAC and rip your CD's.
    The Ethernet cable is just to help set the Pi up

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Thanks Svend!

In my opinion, which has been formed in a week lol, Pi3+, Allo DAC or Any DAC hat for that matter to get going, Volumio, Ethernet cable, Micro SD card and some form of file storage is the easiest way to go.

EAC from CD to FLAC and rip your CD's.
    The Ethernet cable is just to help set the Pi up
    My experience is a little different from yours. Yes the new RPi board is significantly better than the earlier versions. Of course, it should be, it is quite an upgrade from previous versions. I find the Rpi wifi to degrade SQ compared to a wired connection. I can detect no difference in SQ whether I play back files from a NAS connected to my router, or a memory device connected to the Rpi. However, I tried a Samsung SSD and found it to be less clear than the micro SD cards that I use with a USB adaptor.

My biggest difference from your findings concerns Tidal. I find the SQ to be excellent. However, I am using Audivarna to upsample the Tidal stream before it goes to the Rpi and then to my Caiman DAC. The SQ is ultra smooth and very analogue. When upsmapled to DSD 128 or DSD 256, the sound I am getting from Tidal is amongst the best I have heard on my system.

Geoff

BTW; I did use Bubble PnP for a while. It is very user friendly and flexible but not a patch on the Audivarna for SQ or user interface.
    Last edited by Sherwood; 12-01-2019 at 19:02.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    My experience is a little different from yours. Yes the new RPi board is significantly better than the earlier versions. Of course, it should be, it is quite an upgrade from previous versions. I find the Rpi wifi to degrade SQ compared to a wired connection. I can detect no difference in SQ whether I play back files from a NAS connected to my router, or a memory device connected to the Rpi. However, I tried a Samsung SSD and found it to be less clear than the micro SD cards that I use with a USB adaptor.

My biggest difference from your findings concerns Tidal. I find the SQ to be excellent. However, I am using Audivarna to upsample the Tidal stream before it goes to the Rpi and then to my Caiman DAC. The SQ is ultra smooth and very analogue. When upsmapled to DSD 128 or DSD 256, the sound I am getting from Tidal is amongst the best I have heard on my system.

Geoff
    I haven't got the tidal upscaling stuff and to be honest, I am not really overly bothered about it. The tidal thing is another bill to me and when you don't want to pay anymore, your music collection is gone.

I'd rather buy 20 CDs for £20 per month, rip them and do it that way.

How are you using the MicroSd? A usb adaptor or are the files on the one that goes underneath the board? Cannot be done that way?

I'm Tony.

Spent a couple of hours comparing Tidal to HD files on the SSD and CD Rips in Flac on the SSD.

Tidal is not floating my boat. It sounds like all the horrid digital stuff i have tried and avoided previously. I emailed Tidal and they called me with some advice to improve the quality but it made little if any difference. Impressed with the customer service.

HD Files via SDD are superb. I can't find a fault with it so on we go.

There you go. I will be using a Pi3+ via SSD to play stored files and control it via Volumio, connected to the Wifi.
    Well I never, I've been streaming via Tidal and remotely from my laptop for a while now.

Just tried some flac files on a USB stick directly connected to the pi and yes you are right it sounds much better!

Edit; Actually, having listened a bit more I'm not so convinced and using the LMS in the rpi is snail pace slow!
    Last edited by Intenso; 11-05-2019 at 07:47.
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Intenso View Post
    Well I never, I've been streaming via Tidal and remotely from my laptop for a while now.

Just tried some flac files on a USB stick directly connected to the pi and yes you are right it sounds much better!

Edit; Actually, having listened a bit more I'm not so convinced and using the LMS in the rpi is snail pace slow!
    Ah, things moved on again after that to using files from a local NAS. I no longer recommend using the USB port.

I'm Tony.

Ah, things moved on again after that to using files from a local NAS. I no longer recommend using the USB port.
    LOL, ok I'm still only on page 27!
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

+ Reply to Thread