+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Interest Check - Sheffield Bake-Off

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Umm... okay, I still don’t really understand what was broken, particularly if “nothing was actually broken”, but as long as, in the end, you are happy - that’s all that matters .
    During transport an IKEA Lack table collided with the arm and when set up it had excessive play around the bearing/mounting point, it kind of floated about. We all hoped something had just popped out and that no real damage had been done. Sounds like the bearing had been dislodged and just needed re-seating, which was good to hear.
    Turntables are the worst thing to transport, you can never be over cautious when packing them.

I'm Mike.

I've learned my lesson for sure and exactly right Ken the bearing at the pivot point had pulled out, it looks like it's a press fit into a brass collar but i sent it off to Jeff to give it the once over and makes sure there was no damage, the rest as they say is history.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    I've learned my lesson for sure and exactly right Ken the bearing at the pivot point had pulled out, it looks like it's a press fit into a brass collar but i sent it off to Jeff to give it the once over and makes sure there was no damage, the rest as they say is history.
    Great, looking forward to hearing it with the Art 9 Cartridge, which worked so well in Steve's Sony TT.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Great, looking forward to hearing it with the Art 9 Cartridge, which worked so well in Steve's Sony TT.
    What cartridge? cartridge you say? s this the one in my turntable? I thought it was mine ha ha

I'm John.

This is looking like a good day to attend.
    I have been wishing to hear my DIGNA Phonostage auditioned alongside a Paradise, as the Paradise is a reference in my mind.
    I have recently trialed with my local group, Solid Tech 'Feet of Silence' on Belt Drive and Idler Drive TT's, the positive effect these had was a big talking point, be interesting to see how they work on the DD's.
    I also have Audio Technica AT-615 Pneumatic Feet, yet to be trialed.
    I can also bring along a PTP Solid 9>Audiomods Series V Micrometer>Hana SL,
    also I can bring a Nigel Built NSC and the LDA Quartz Turntable Power Supply MkII, if LDA does not ask for their loan model back before the event.
    The LDA Power Supply on the day of trials, bettered my Nigel Built NSC, it has had a very positive improvement on the Idler Drive as well as a Belt Drive.
    As it seems at present there will be two TT's both with PMAT 1010's, if I am assuming correctly, one will have a K'b ?, One will have a Vienna Mimic K'b ?.
    I can bring along my rebuilt K'b, that was a different option to the Vienna Mimic K'b.
    My Cartridge has about 20 hours play time.
    I can also bring along 8ft length, Mapleshade Excalibur Double Helix Speaker Cables.
    Let me know what will be off interest for the day.

I'm jamie.

perhaps johng you can bring some of that phonotherm you were raving about?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm John.

That was also hovering in my thoughts.
    I have done a few deliveries this year at events, so this one will be useful, as another member who wants some is in close contact with another attendee.
    I have little feedback on its function as a plinth material, hence it being offered for trial.
    It may also end up as Baffle on a OB, as a OB builder has samples.
    I seem to muck about with materials of late, more than sit down for extended listening sessions, I do that more at present by attending social HiFi Based get togethers.
    I do rate 'Phonotherm' as a Sub Plinth Material and Footer, it has a attenuation effect, but then I really like African Black Wood footers for that effect to, even though they attenuate with a slightly different outcome. Unfortunately to date I have not done comparisons on either, but can only confirm, when the Phonotherm is put into use, the overall presentation, draws on my attention, with more of my favour, as does African Black Woods, but I do recall on one session, using foams and African Blackwood in stacked layers, had a very improved effect .
    The 'Feet of Silence' are the most impressive devices I have heard to date used as footers, and their improvement on the SQ of TT's was a unanimous agreement by a the attendees at a day of trials, these elevated the SQ to another level, again these have not been compared to any of the above mentioned methods as a A/B Comparison.
    I am happy to make these available, and be shot down on the day, if they fail to deliver with the TT's in use.
    The Belt Drive TT owner still has them on loan, and has been auditioning them to other visitors that were not in attendance on the earlier date.
    I have read some of the exchanges from emails, and it can be said, these are still being reported as worthwhile additions to the system they are being auditioned in.
    As said, it would be good to get them placed under a DD TT for public scrutiny on their contribution.
    There has been debate over the past months on AoS relating to two different TT's and there has been preferences for Models stated.
    I would like to think that a 30 minute period could be allocated for a mini Bake Off with the SP10 vs TTS 8000.
    As these two TT's have been proposed to be brought along, as each of the owners will potentially have the same Tonearm, the PMAT 1010, and the same Cartridge can be used.
    As long as the identical Stand and Sub Plinths are used, it should be relatively easy to assess each TT against each other, the SP10 vs TTS 8000, I know this has been done in private in the past, but what was not clear was whether the Two TT's shared the same Stand and Sub Plinth. My personal experiences require this identical mounting as the benchmark condition for any TT Comparisons, as alternative stand types attenuate differently, as well as influence ambient vibration to different effect.
    When the audience have been familiarised with each TT and have expressed their preference, the 'Feet of Silence' could be put into service to see how they effect the performance of each TT, and any other TT or Front End up for audition on the day, from my previous experiences, the inclusion of the 'Feet of Silence' will take a minute to add, so these would not delay any proceedings.
    As my K'b Cartridge has been professionally aligned for a PMAT 1010, it could be the Cartridge used for the Bake Off.

I'm Deleted.

John, all of that you describe sounds very interesting to me .
    Account Deleted

I'm Des.

Do we have a date yet ?

I'm Deleted.

No, I’m waiting on input from my two compatriots (one of which has leverage on renting the space) - might see them tonight for a drink and chat (hopefully). I think there seems to be sufficient interest to make it worth pursuing though.
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast