+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruined Legacy

I'm Mike.

Why does it look like some kind of cheap tatty plastic birdhouse/garden ornament thingy you get at B&Q then anyone?

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Pete.

I share your pain. As an avid Sansui nutter, it pains me to see what has become of the Sansui name. At least I can now diversify away from audio and buy Sansui TVs and dishwashers!
    ••• Logitech Squeezebox Touch > audio-gd NFB3(2014) w/ E9018 > fully recapped/restored Sansui AU-X701 and AU-719 > a healthy sprinkling of expectation bias > PMC GB1i speakers > Aurealis and Audio Principe cables •••

MartinT Guest

When I remember hearing the 2ax and 3a in friend's systems, and lusting after the LST, those things are absolute travesties.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The LST was a bit of a beast I must say Like a 3a on steroids I had a very soft spot for the baby MST's as well. The 10 Pi was a definite step forward in sonics though IMO, mainly I think due t balance changes, even if it was pig ugly in comparison..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    When I remember hearing the 2ax and 3a in friend's systems, and lusting after the LST, those things are absolute travesties.
    Mark Levinson in his 'Cello' system used a stacked pair of AR LSTs. I'm not sure of the arrangement of drivers in the LST, but whenever I have heard stacked multi-driver systems it always sound wrong; usually because the treble dispersion is spoilt and so has no focus!
    Barry

I'm mike.

This saddens me too...I have a pair of nearly-perfect AR4x's that sing, and I'm happy to pull them out on rare occasion and remember what a great pairing they make with the Harman-Kardon 430 Twin Powered receiver with a measly 25 watts per at 8 ohms a side. Not amazing, but really listenable (with a nice ARXA to boot) and a unique quality all their own. That system has synergy.
    Freedom is the right to discipline yourself.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by pete_mac View Post
    I share your pain. As an avid Sansui nutter, it pains me to see what has become of the Sansui name. At least I can now diversify away from audio and buy Sansui TVs and dishwashers!
    Sansui Hi-Fi components are back in the UK and though there are no reviews yet that I'm aware of, it seems it may be proper Hi-Fi gear!

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by pete_mac View Post
    I think you must be thinking of Matsui?

Yes, Matsui are pretty shite compared to more well respected manufacturers, I wouldn't touch anything of there's except with a shitty stick

I did happen to purchase a Matsui Freeview TV decoder, but only because it happened to be a rebadged decent one.

Funnily enough it is the only bit of kit I have that has ever suffered death by loudspeaker A rather heavy 15" subwoofer driver happened to be siting on top of one of my Ditton 66 when I got a bit carried away & turned the volume up - way up!

There was a bloody great big crash as said driver managed to 'walk' off of the top of the Ditton 66 & it landed right on top of the Matsui decoder

I could have been unhappy, but I laughed at the irony of it & carried on regardless
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm ChrisB.

No, the Sansui name was on that type of stuff for a bit - not so much in the UK though.

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed, Chris.

I think you need a linky-poo, to accompany the pic, though, as I didn't even know that abomination had anything to do with AR, until you mentioned it (and I also uncovered the hidden link in your pic, by using my admin rights)

Marco.
    What hidden link was that Marco? Cos I got one too.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast