+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi fi fuse ? Tweek !

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Paul.

I think that whatever fuses may do to improve the sound microarcing is not anything to do with it. Your whole mains wiring system is full of electrical connections that relay upon compressive force to keep a good connection. Plugs and sockets, the screw connections in junction boxes, connections in the consumer unit, IEC socket connections... if microarcing was an issue it would be happening everywhere and it would eventually ruin all the connections. We just don’t see this and house wiring connections stay reliable for decades.
    ~Paul~

I'm Vince.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I think that whatever fuses may do to improve the sound microarcing is not anything to do with it. Your whole mains wiring system is full of electrical connections that relay upon compressive force to keep a good connection. Plugs and sockets, the screw connections in junction boxes, connections in the consumer unit, IEC socket connections... if microarcing was an issue it would be happening everywhere and it would eventually ruin all the connections. We just don’t see this and house wiring connections stay reliable for decades.
    100% agree, as long as there is a point of contact, no matter how small as long as it is a constant contact......you will experience no arcing.

I'm John.

I'm not sure if this tweak has been presented in the previous posts, but I have read recently, that damping the sleeve between the metal ends can have a noticeable effect.
    The method I read, was to wrap the fuse sleeve in masking tape, leaving about 1mm spacing next to the metal end parts, so the metal end parts are not covered by any tape.
    If damping the sleeve is a tweak that has a effect viewed as a improvement, maybe a 'O' Ring placed on the fuse sleeve as a alternative damping, might deliver a noticeable effect.

I'm Geoff.

OK if you want to start a fire I guess.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm John.

If my suggestion is leading to A FIRE RISK !!
    I ask the moderators to remove it.
    Apologies, as I had seen nothing to suggest there was a increased risk, by carrying out such a procedure.

I'm Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    Regrettably not always the case. Was in girlfriends house 48 years ago and unplugged something and the plug was distinctly warm/hot. Further examination of socket revealed that cabling was no longer securely fixed by the grub screw. Apparently this happened due to this socket always having vacuum cleaner plugged in and out over a number of years and the faint vibration of this action resulted in screw loosening. It was also discovered that there was no earth wire on the ring main ! But that's another story.
    As result I check the cable fixing screws on sockets that have plugs in and out on a regular basis every couple of years, but I can be anal about some things

I'm John.

If I recall a conversation I was involved in a few years past, it had nothing to do with a HiFi Mains Power Supply, just a description of faults that can be found during a electricians property inspection.
    A electrician told me that one of the cables in the wall socket can become loose, as the hertz has got the capability to loosen a cable retaining screw.
    Hence a Landlord has a property certified for the electrics, and the electrician would remove the wall socket fascia and check the tightness of the cable retaining screws as part of a inspection.

+ Reply to Thread