+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice or opinions sought, regarding replacing Rega6 with..... something ?

montesquieu Guest

For £1k you should get a well-fettled Lenco project or even a Garrard 401 with a respectable arm on it. Either will have a shed more boogie factor and a much more extensive upgrade path, with with arms, plinths, power supplies, metal mats to play with and of course well up for a switch to MC at some future date if you want to. (Though far from necessary). Or break the bank and go for a Thorens TD124. An idler will give you all the warmth and fun factor you are looking for.

I'm Clint.

HI Graeme

I currently have an RP6, wonderful deck for the money I paid (ex demo) originally I put a 2M bronze cartridge on it & it was nice but not as musical as I would have liked. I put a Nagaoka MP200 on the RP6 & it was a match made in heaven for my ears, just so much more musical than the Bronze. Nagaokas work well on Rega arms too.

I'm Deleted.

I suppose that what I was angling at with my earlier post is that I would be suspicious of any turntable that actively contrived to create a “warm, full sounding” impression of music, because it would do this for every record whether such an interpretation is valid or not. I would also say that such a description of a designs sound quality is, in my experience, a description of a design that actively obscures detail and nuance.
    Account Deleted

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I suppose that what I was angling at with my earlier post is that I would be suspicious of any turntable that actively contrived to create a “warm, full sounding” impression of music, because it would do this for every record whether such an interpretation is valid or not. I would also say that such a description of a designs sound quality is, in my experience, a description of a design that actively obscures detail and nuance.
    You could turn that quite easily on its head - be suspicious of any turntable that actively contrives to give the impression of being exceptionally detailed, at the expense of warmth and musicality ...

Indeed, that was what, after some months of having them sat together side by side, that persuaded me to get shot of the Voyd 3-motor in favour of a TD124. The Voyd typically gave the impression of being airy, detailed and slightly thinner than the TD124, which had bags more snap, musicality and emotional connection. Ultimately, when you really examined the issue, they both had similar levels of detail, but the presentation differed enormously. I could imagine someone making the call the other way if that presentation floated their boat, but it was a no brainer for me. (That and pretty much all belt drives barring the very high mass ones tend to sound a bit wobbly on speed to me). Since then I've tricked out the TD124 with Longdog PSU, Schopper platter and bearing, permali plinth, Ikeda arms etc and it just keeps on getting better.

If the OP wants a warmer, fuller sound, then he ought to hear some idlers at least before throwing more money down the Rega/belt drive route.

I'm Graeme.

thanks to everyone who commented, appreciate the advice. after a think and a few bays.. I've gone with the 2M Black.

My arm is the RB303, now the question is do I need to shim or not? some say yes, some say no.. confusing. my 2M blue doesn't need it (or at least my ears say so)...

what do you recon?
    I can whistle with my fingers, especially if I have a whistle.

I'm Graeme.

Let's not focus on my description, its probably not the same thoughts as others.. I'd ignore it

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmanuk101 View Post
    thanks to everyone who commented, appreciate the advice. after a think and a few bays.. I've gone with the 2M Black.

My arm is the RB303, now the question is do I need to shim or not? some say yes, some say no.. confusing. my 2M blue doesn't need it (or at least my ears say so)...

what do you recon?
    Good you’ve made a call and got a better cart mate.

If your keeping the deck and want even more from it down the line, you can get the arm strip-polished, foam filled and rewired by Jony at Audio Origami in Glasgow.
    Would be a big upgrade on an already great arm for not a massive cost, and alongside a good cart like you have, truly max out what your RP6 can do.
    http://www.audioorigami.co.uk/tone-arm-rewires/

On my old Gyro, had my Michell Technoarm (Rega based) upgraded by Jon and it came back sounding much better, and it was no slouch to begin with.
    Highly recommended.

Rega decks aim to be neutral, and bring out what’s on the record without adding any artificial bloom to the sound, think snappy and correct as opposed to warm and woolly.
    Had a Lenco and heard quite a few Gerrards and sometimes they can have that warm “turntable-ey” sound that’s associated with vinyl.

Nothing wrong with that of course, pick your favourite flavour.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 08-12-2019 at 07:40.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Graeme.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Good you’ve made a call and got a better cart mate.

If your keeping the deck and want even more from it down the line, you can get it strip-polished, foam filled and rewired by Jony at Audio Origami in Glasgow.
    Would be a massive upgrade on the arm for not a massive cost, and alongside a good cart like you have, truly max out what your RP6 can do.
    http://www.audioorigami.co.uk/tone-arm-rewires/

Had my old Michell Technoarm (Rega based) upgraded by Jon and it came back sounding much better, and was no slouch to begin with.
    Highly recommended.

Rega decks aim to be neutral, and bring out what’s on the record without adding any artificial bloom to the sound, think snappy and correct as opposed to warm and woolly.
    Had a Lenco and heard quite a few Gerrards and sometimes they can have that warm “turntable-ey” sound that’s associated with vinyl.

Nothing wrong with that of course, pick your favourite flavour.
    nice one buddy, I'll look into that tonearm upgrade..
    I've just ordered a new belt and a Mitchel Engineering record clamp

My description of sound is crap - and most of my gear is nice and neutral..

thanks again buddy, G.

I'm Graeme.

sweet baby Jesus.. you had to share that audiooragami link didn't you.... good job I'm going out today to buy records.. otherwise my credit card would be a bit hot! Dear Santa... lol

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmanuk101 View Post
    sweet baby Jesus.. you had to share that audiooragami link didn't you.... good job I'm going out today to buy records.. otherwise my credit card would be a bit hot! Dear Santa... lol
    Sorry man, had to be done.
    your welcome!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast