+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reed 2A headshell question

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    I know right , Everything about them is clever Russell . they look and sound stunning, just a shame they didnt put it on the model ive bought

Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ve always lusted after the Triplanar tonearm, but after the Reed came to market, now it is the object of my desires. I’ve studied their design and it is so thorough and complete, and beyond that, damned attractive! Hopefully one day I’ll get the gumption up to buy one? I got an invite for a new credit card in the mail yesterday? Hmm

Russell

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I’ve always lusted after the Triplanar tonearm, but after the Reed came to market, now it is the object of my desires. I’ve studied their design and it is so thorough and complete, and beyond that, damned attractive! Hopefully one day I’ll get the gumption up to buy one? I got an invite for a new credit card in the mail yesterday? Hmm

Russell
    Haha just do it mate. They were the exact two arms on my radar aswell but after a bit of research i went for the reed. I think its a piece of art visually and sonically. Thankfully i got a tax rebate which made the unobtainable, obtainable.

Next is to save for a Woodsong plinth to mount it on

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    Haha just do it mate. They were the exact two arms on my radar aswell but after a bit of research i went for the reed. I think its a piece of art visually and sonically. Thankfully i got a tax rebate which made the unobtainable, obtainable.

Next is to save for a Woodsong plinth to mount it on

It really is a thing of beauty.

But I’d probably have to start out on a whole new turntable to make use of it? At present I have a VPI Scout, and it’s VPI tonearm is very nice really, a unipivot with very thick damped aluminum tube. It’s mounted on a large screw, hollow pipe, that passes through a round hole in the plinth, large nut on the bottom. It’s 9 and 1/2 inches long, so a longer arm would not be possible. I can’t change an arm board to accommodate a different mount, or length. So I’m afraid I’d need a whole new ‘table to make full use of a Reed arm?

The VPI is a nice ‘table/arm combo, slightly above entry level I’d say. So I’ll have to save up my duckies to embark on something the next level up. I’ll be honest, I’ve learned volumes about high end record playing from this forum! Members like yourself are very generous with such knowledge, so I’m sure I’ll get there eventually!

I can’t wait to see your ‘table and arm with cartridge of your choice all set up! You’ll have to start a new thread to keep us informed of your progress! Good luck with it and I’m hoping it doesn’t take too long for your project to reach fruition!

Russell

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    It really is a thing of beauty.

But I’d probably have to start out on a whole new turntable to make use of it? At present I have a VPI Scout, and it’s VPI tonearm is very nice really, a unipivot with very thick damped aluminum tube. It’s mounted on a large screw, hollow pipe, that passes through a round hole in the plinth, large nut on the bottom. It’s 9 and 1/2 inches long, so a longer arm would not be possible. I can’t change an arm board to accommodate a different mount, or length. So I’m afraid I’d need a whole new ‘table to make full use of a Reed arm?

The VPI is a nice ‘table/arm combo, slightly above entry level I’d say. So I’ll have to save up my duckies to embark on something the next level up. I’ll be honest, I’ve learned volumes about high end record playing from this forum! Members like yourself are very generous with such knowledge, so I’m sure I’ll get there eventually!

I can’t wait to see your ‘table and arm with cartridge of your choice all set up! You’ll have to start a new thread to keep us informed of your progress! Good luck with it and I’m hoping it doesn’t take too long for your project to reach fruition!

Russell
    Yeah thats fair enough Russell, I understand. It turns into a big commitment and financial outlay when you consider all that.

The VPI gear is great stuff anyway so your not missing too much mate. As you know it’s diminishing returns as you go up the ladder.

My arm has arrived now so i can start gathering up the rest of it when i get back from my holiday, with a new thread to go with it.

Cheers

Karl

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Mike.

There are quite a few arms which may perform well, but are not exactly an aesthetic joy to behold. I even find the SME V12 a little 'unbalanced' in appearance, although the A.O. PU7 looks elegant; both are derivatives of their 9" peers. The Reed arms do indeed (to my eyes) look exactly like the perfect conception of a 12" arm but without looking too fussy. I am also talking to the moths guarding my wallet. Besides, the name does it for me !

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    There are quite a few arms which may perform well, but are not exactly an aesthetic joy to behold. I even find the SME V12 a little 'unbalanced' in appearance, although the A.O. PU7 looks elegant; both are derivatives of their 9" peers. The Reed arms do indeed (to my eyes) look exactly like the perfect conception of a 12" arm but without looking too fussy. I am also talking to the moths guarding my wallet. Besides, the name does it for me !
    The Reed 3P is by some margin the finest upper-medium mass, fixed headshell tonearm that I have used and heard (yes, a Glanz is genuinely better, but it's very high mass and somewhat pricier). I am very close to ordering another 12" demonstrator to go on the old Kenwood KD-990, probably in the same spec as the last one, eg Cocobolo arm wand and with Reed's Finewire Cryo treated copper cabling.

I'm Carsten.

How does the headshell look like ? I am asking since I just bought an Reed 2A and looking at the picture of the headshell it looks as if it can be adjusted.

I have attached a picture of the headshell of the one Reed I bought - I haven't recieved it yet, so I can't check it physically.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    English is not my native language, so any grammar & spelling errors is due to my crappy Smartphone..

Speakers: Franco Serblin Accordo.
    Amp: Yamaha A-S2100.
    Turntable 1: Sony TTS-8000 in a TB-2000 plinth with:
    Tonearm 1: Helius Phaedra & Benz LP-S.
    Tonearm 2: Reed 2A & ?
    Turntable 2: Garrard 401, Jelco SA-750E & Shelter 501 classic.
    Phonostage: Modwright PH 9.0 w. US Amperex 7308.
    Step-up: Allnic AUT-2000.
    Head-amp: GS Elevator EXP.
    Cables: AN Qssc, Belden 8402 & Audience au24.

http://www.discogs.com/user/Nonnegativ

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonnegativ View Post
    How does the headshell look like ? I am asking since I just bought an Reed 2A and looking at the picture of the headshell it looks as if it can be adjusted.

I have attached a picture of the headshell of the one Reed I bought - I haven't recieved it yet, so I can't check it physically.
    Hi mate, yes your one is adjustable , mine is fixed like this. The image i used was a stock one which shows the arm with adjustable azimuth. Did you buy it on ebay? I saw one on there a couple of days ago.

I'm Carsten.

Hi Karl !

Yes - I got the one for sale on ebay. They really are beautiful looking, and I am pretty excited to try it out.
    English is not my native language, so any grammar & spelling errors is due to my crappy Smartphone..

Speakers: Franco Serblin Accordo.
    Amp: Yamaha A-S2100.
    Turntable 1: Sony TTS-8000 in a TB-2000 plinth with:
    Tonearm 1: Helius Phaedra & Benz LP-S.
    Tonearm 2: Reed 2A & ?
    Turntable 2: Garrard 401, Jelco SA-750E & Shelter 501 classic.
    Phonostage: Modwright PH 9.0 w. US Amperex 7308.
    Step-up: Allnic AUT-2000.
    Head-amp: GS Elevator EXP.
    Cables: AN Qssc, Belden 8402 & Audience au24.

http://www.discogs.com/user/Nonnegativ

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonnegativ View Post
    Hi Karl !

Yes - I got the one for sale on ebay. They really are beautiful looking, and I am pretty excited to try it out.
    Congrats buddy, you will be very impressed by the build quality. Its a superb piece of engineering . What arm is it replacing ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast