+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Silver Interconnects

I'm Dave.

Default Silver Interconnects

Any one used and removed or kept silver Interconnect RCA's in their system ?

Just trying out some on mine, wife is in so have to wait to see what it sounds like, thats without hearing "Do you have to have it so loud"
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    Music Player Pioneer N30 Network Player
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speakers Q Acoustic Concept 40s
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Mike.

I bought a pair of Artisan Audio RCA 1 metre I/Cs a year ago, and liked them. I used them from CDP to pre. and pre. to mono amps (all valved). I had a bake-off, pitting my Chord Indigo v the Artisan with CDP to pre., and half (3) of the participants preferrred the openness of the silver and 3 preferred the 'musicality'; of the Indigo.

There y'go ! There IS a difference in presentation, but I think that results are subject to taste and synergy with kit. The silver was slightly harder-hitting; more dynamic, even, but did lack the 'wholeness' of the Chord.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Depends whether your talking about pure silver cables or silver plated.
    Pure silver tends to be very much like pure copper, although more refind sounding, silver plated can sound bright, and dynamic at first, but can get tiresome rather quickly.
    My opinion [for what its worth] stick to one metal, either can be very good, depending on the configuration of the rest of the cable.
    Plugs can make a very marked diffrence when compared on the same cable too!
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    I bought a pair of Artisan Audio RCA 1 metre I/Cs a year ago, and liked them. I used them from CDP to pre. and pre. to mono amps (all valved). I had a bake-off, pitting my Chord Indigo v the Artisan with CDP to pre., and half (3) of the participants preferrred the openness of the silver and 3 preferred the 'musicality'; of the Indigo.

There y'go ! There IS a difference in presentation, but I think that results are subject to taste and synergy with kit. The silver was slightly harder-hitting; more dynamic, even, but did lack the 'wholeness' of the Chord.
    Interesting results bearing in mind the significant price difference between those cables. Were you using the basic Silver Dream cable or the Ultimate Silver Dream cable?

Having read a bit about Artisan Silver cables and read a number of positive reviews, I purchased a set of Ultimate Silver Dream XLR cables for use between my DAC/preamp and power amp and was rather impressed with them. In my system they just sounded natural and fairly well balanced and I particularly liked their reproduction of vocals. In view of the obvious uplift in performance compared with the basic cables I was using previously I decided after about 4 months to take the plunge and I went even higher end.

To my surprise the Artisans have been offered for sale on here and elsewhere but didn't generate any positive interest..
    Last edited by Sondekker; 25-09-2019 at 16:26. Reason: spelling

Bigman80 Guest

I've made loads of trial cables and in terms of silver, the more 9's and the bigger the gauge, the better they sound IMO. Best pair I made were 1.3mm conductor, 99.999% purity (£26pm x 4m ) AECO Silver RCA plugs and 4% Silver Solder.

At the time, I much preferred the sound of high purity Copper. I may have to revisit that now as the system has changed massively.

I'm Lawrence.

I've tried and struggled with a few pairs. One was DIY of unknown purity and the other was by Silver Arrow I think with wound multi strand positive and flat ribbon negative. I decided they were all too harsh in my system but they could have been revealing weaknesses in the chain as my system is not high end (price wise at least).

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm John.

I trialed a custom built Solid Silver COAX vs Copper COAX between CDP and DAC.
    The Copper COAX won through with the CDP in use at the time.
    Mapleshade Ribbon was my final choice.
    I might do this test once more as I have a different CDP in use.

I'm Dave.

The ones I bought were from Westbury Audio,John Miller and solid silver, some good reviews. could even be from members here? Wife is out tomorrow so a interesting day burning in. They are replacing a Klotz MC5000 so a good cable already which lots here got from Brian, a quick listen and the top end is pretty shrill, but they need burning in.
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    Music Player Pioneer N30 Network Player
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speakers Q Acoustic Concept 40s
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Depends whether you're talking about pure silver cables or silver plated.
    Pure silver tends to be very much like pure copper, although more refined sounding; silver plated can sound bright and dynamic at first, but can get tiresome rather quickly.

My opinion [for what it's worth]is to stick to one metal; either can be very good, depending on the configuration of the rest of the cable.
    Plugs can make a very marked difference when compared on the same cable too!
    Yes, I've heard/read this in the past.

My I/Cs are Ultimate Silver Dream (pure silver) with WBT Ag plugs at each end.

SONDEKKER, I didn't know there was a model above mine; does it have more than 4 cores, or in which way is it supposedly better? B.t.w., the price of the Chord Indigo original wasn't much above the the Artisans at r.r.prices,. Considering that one is a large company with many levels of agency and t'other is a small direct sales cottage industry, I'd say the price difference yo mention isn't much at all. I also used my Chord Signatures as a comparison, but the Indigo is more refined and proved to be a better comparison, but not by much. The Chord Sig. would have been lower than the current Artisan price, I'd think.

I'm Hugo.

I was one of those at Mike's place who preferred the copper cables! One thing I've learnt in this hobby is that there are few absolutes and anyone expecting silver to sound automatically better than copper is likely to be disappointed, at least after extended listening; and the same applies to audiophile favourites like Teflon dielectric materials. The real cable sound differences lie in how a cable is physically constructed and (as Anthony says) terminations and connectors; and of course decent quality wire but even then chasing 9s does not necessarily yield better sound and music.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast