+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: My Garrard 301 journey... almost there.

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Interesting to see how this all pans out.

I've heard several 301's in various plinths and they all sound very very different.

It would seem the plinth construction and material has a very large impact on the overall presentation of the 301.
    That maybe an obvious conclusion, but it really is very apparent when haring the differences. A hard choice to place an order on a plinth effectively blind, as they all have their 'sound'. I heard a Bob C plinth and it was night and day with a couple of other options that were also side by side comparisons. It was a valuable lesson for me personally not to get too enticed with looks and finishes and to understand how the plinths are constructed.

I know Bob C incorporates an isolated arm pod within the structure of the plinth. This is fundamental in his 'sound'. He also totally decouples the Motor unit, also fundamental.
    Matt at Audio Grail uses Bob C for all his Garrad 301's for this very reason..

You may want to ask Russ about what he did for Tom formerly of this parish (Montesquieu)

Tom went to Russ with a plinth design (for his Thorens 124 Mk2, which is widely, wrongly, perceived as not plinth Fussy) based around a core material of similar to Panzerholst. This was after Tom having had several of Russ Collinson's regular plinth designs over the years. Tom's gamble paid off as it sounds incredible.

IMHO, If I were in your shoes now, I'd explore the base Core material options prior to committing to the next plinth...and also construction techniques.
    I
    n the long run it will be worth while.. I wouldn't rush into it for sake of just getting the TT in your system.

Maybe a cheapo stop gap TT is in order, to keep the music spinning whilst you get the optimal 301 plinth possible for your budget..

Just my 2p worth
    Hi mate yes your quite right which is why I liked the idea of the Woodsong. Its has a man made slate base then pockets inside the plinths ply core which have a polyester and bentonite resin for optimal damping in critical areas. Also passive isolation on the armboards too. Anyway that one has gone now so time to move on.

I have messaged bob on his Facebook page , he has seen it but not replied for two days so I’m guessing he’s either not interested or too busy and possibly hes little out of my reach financially anyway. Ive heard his plinths are around £3k ?? He may reply, let’s see.

As for Russ , he thinks he can make something similar looks wise to the Woodsong with a nice veneer . I have asked if the core can be alternating layers (CLD) of Panzerholz and ply , and make the armboards Panzerholz also. Its no secret of its great abilities in audio . It will be heavy and expensive but possible. He did mention he built a solid one so I’m guessing that is Toms one?

To be honest if looks is the thing that people go on then it would be a Bob C all day long for me. Just the shape with those highly figured woods look absolutely timeless and classy. Not to mention the design principals behind it. Ive no doubt it’s a cut above. But likely a long wait and too pricey for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    Hi mate yes your quite right which is why I liked the idea of the Woodsong. Its has a man made slate base then pockets inside the plinths ply core which have a polyester and bentonite resin for optimal damping in critical areas. Also passive isolation on the armboards too. Anyway that one has gone now so time to move on.

I have messaged bob on his Facebook page , he has seen it but not replied for two days so I’m guessing he’s either not interested or too busy and possibly hes little out of my reach financially anyway. Ive heard his plinths are around £3k ?? He may reply, let’s see.

As for Russ , he thinks he can make something similar looks wise to the Woodsong with a nice veneer . I have asked if the core can be alternating layers (CLD) of Panzerholz and ply , and make the armboards Panzerholz also. Its no secret of its great abilities in audio . It will be heavy and expensive but possible. He did mention he built a solid one so I’m guessing that is Toms one?

To be honest if looks is the thing that people go on then it would be a Bob C all day long for me. Just the shape with those highly figured woods look absolutely timeless and classy. Not to mention the design principals behind it. Ive no doubt it’s a cut above. But likely a long wait and too pricey for me.

I'm sure Russ can execute something very nice indeed. Yes the solid one was for Tom.

As for Bob C, yes his plinths are costly but the work and the process too get there has been extensive obviously.
    He is contactable, maybe try via Matt at Audio Grail or similar, I know Mik at Unique Audio also supplies Bob C plinths
    there are also examples already built and good to go.

Anyway you sound like you have done enough research in the approach to get what you can for your wallet.

After hearing Tom's solid Layers of Beauty jobbie and the Bob C's efforts, i wouldn't go for the basic approach if i were going this road again. good Luck

Keep us posted
    cheers
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Karl.

I'm sure Russ can execute something very nice indeed. Yes the solid one was for Tom.

As for Bob C, yes his plinths are costly but the work and the process too get there has been extensive obviously.
    He is contactable, maybe try via Matt at Audio Grail or similar, I know Mik at Unique Audio also supplies Bob C plinths
    there are also examples already built and good to go.

Anyway you sound like you have done enough research in the approach to get what you can for your wallet.

After hearing Tom's solid Layers of Beauty jobbie and the Bob C's efforts, i wouldn't go for the basic approach if i were going this road again. good Luck

Keep us posted
    cheers

Will do and thanks for the input. Really appreciate it.

I was determined not to go basic with this as it will likely see me right for many years to come so I have been patient and researched thing’s thoroughly . I will check out unique audio and see what they have.

Cheers

Karl

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Karl.

Ok the plinth saga is now sorted . Ive got Russ to sort me one . He can make me one almost identical (apart from the veneer) and use a panzerholz core for optimal damping. Also some passive isolation on the armboards . He can get going straight away as the deposit is sorted. Estimated 6-8 weeks completion time but possibly before. If things go smoothly. At least I’m not guessing now.

I'm Andre.

Russ is good, Hes about 10 mins away from me..

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Russ is good, Hes about 10 mins away from me..
    Yeah he did my LP12 plinth was was amazing

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    Ok the plinth saga is now sorted . Ive got Russ to sort me one . He can make me one almost identical (apart from the veneer) and use a panzerholz core for optimal damping. Also some passive isolation on the armboards . He can get going straight away as the deposit is sorted. Estimated 6-8 weeks completion time but possibly before. If things go smoothly. At least I’m not guessing now.

Can I ask how he is to isolate the arm boards?
    Will he be incorporating an isolated arm pod into the plinth?
    And is he given any thoughts on motor isolation?
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Karl.

Default My Garrard 301 journey... almost there.

Can I ask how he is to isolate the arm boards?
    Will he be incorporating an isolated arm pod into the plinth?
    And is he given any thoughts on motor isolation?
    Hi mate , it’s nothing fancy just rubber discs between the articulating armboards and the plinth but ‘Woodsong’ said he’s had positive results doing the same so I asked Russ to incorporate it and give it a try. Nothing to lose. If its no good then I just unscrew and remove them.

No we haven’t spoken about motor isolation as I’ve kinda reached my budget with what we already have planned.

This is a picture of how Woodsong does it with discs between the silver top Bolt and armboard ,also under the armboard before the plinth

Last edited by Bigbird; 27-02-2020 at 12:53.

I'm Karl.

Default My Garrard 301 journey... almost there.

This is an idea of what we will likely use to make the armboard isolation work with the armboard sandwiched between against the rubbers

I'm Andre.

You just have to make sure the threaded stud is not in contact as i only see the two flat surfaces have isolation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast