+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Frugel horn. Would somebody care to explain the design?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    It's a bit of a fallacy that a single driver has no phase shifts. They do have phase shifts.

Ouch
    They can have I suppose, but not as bad as a typical 2-way. Not that it makes a massive difference in any case.

And yes, I'm not a fan of those Audionote speakers and the price is ludicrous for what they are.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

The phase shifts are at the frequency extremes rather than slap-bang in the middle of the audio range, so possibly less noticeable.
    No, I'm not a big fan of so-called full range drivers either. I think I'd be more interested in a frugalhorn with a more conventional two-driver arrangement.
    Wot, like this?

Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Martin.

But you've still got the awful colourations from the horn, you've still got no bass, and now you've got a load of x-over components in there too. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    But you've still got the awful colourations from the horn, you've still got no bass, and now you've got a load of x-over components in there too. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
    What awful colourations?
    There are none.
    Chris

I suppose so... or anything that uses the frugalhorn cabinet concept but with a bass/mid + tweeter instead of the full range driver. Of course, you have to get the crossover right or else there's no point. That's probably easier said than done.
    The design is for a single wide bandwidth driver.
    The only reason for the tweeter helper is because there's an obvious roll off at the top end of the drivers I have in my speakers.
    If you want something like a conventional speaker get a conventional speaker.
    Chris

I'm gone.

This does seem to be "one of those" threads where folks who haven't heard the items under consideration are having great fun putting the boot in.
    Not really in the spirit of AOS, imo.

I've not heard Frugelhorns but some folks whose ears I have a reasonable degree of trust in say they are very good.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    The design is for a single wide bandwidth driver.
    The only reason for the tweeter helper is because there's an obvious roll off at the top end of the drivers I have in my speakers.
    Yes. I suspected that may be an augmented full range set-up. The tweeter no doubt not having a great deal to do. I assume it comes in at maybe 12kHz or above.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    This does seem to be "one of those" threads where folks who haven't heard the items under consideration are having great fun putting the boot in.
    I started the thread 'cos I had a few questions.................that so far nobody seems able to answer.

I'm Geoff.

You're probably more experienced with speaker building and speaker design than me, but that doesn't look like a true horn - the driver is nowhere near the throat.
    A quarter wave horn operates on the same principal as a quarter wave acoustic column, it relies on the 'column' of air contained being energised by the driver and produce a partially in phase output at low frequencies. It does not act as a waveguide in the way a BLH or Tractrix does. The driver can be situated almost anywhere along the line/horn and still work.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yes. I suspected that may be an augmented full range set-up. The tweeter no doubt not having a great deal to do. I assume it comes in at maybe 12kHz or above.
    That's not a bad guess - the corner frequency is 13kHz according to the crossover calculators, and it's a first order filter.
    The driver is an Alpair 7.3, and the quoted spec doesn't quite tell the full story. Thankfully the response curves do show where the roll off occurs
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast