+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 512 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Did you get to Aldi again, Barry?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm john.

Macro.. have you tried the CDP from aldi?..I was looking at that last week when i was in there..tried a few bottles from elsewhere 2011 the year on the bottle it was so so..BTW need a few bottles of good full bodied red wine for the xmas table what would you go for?

jon

Hi Jon,

I haven't tried the CdP yet, but based on experience and reading the 'heritage' on the wine label, I'm confident it will be a stonker... However, if you can find the Amarone in your local store, that would be even better!

What are you having to eat on Christmas Day (full menu, please)? That way I can give you some suitable recommendations

Marco.
    Main System

I'm john.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Jon,

I haven't tried the CdP yet, but based on experience and reading the 'heritage' on the wine label, I'm confident it will be a stonker... However, if you can find the Amarone in your local store, that would be even better!

What are you having to eat on Christmas Day (full menu, please)? That way I can give you some suitable recommendations

Marco.

Marco... the meats are pork loin and chicken ...the trimmings are roast parsnips and potatoes cooked i goose fatturnip and carrot mashed together and potatoes home made stuffing ..and pigs in there blankets and peas sprouts..
    four bottles is the order of the day.. no white wine please

jon

Okies, do you want them all to be powerful, full-bodied types, or would you like half and half, along with some lighter 'fruity' red wines? Also, are you having a starter, such as fish or anything, or just one full-on meat and veg fest, and do you have a preference for wines from any particular country?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Marco.
    No Margaux to be found ( ), but I did pick up a couple bottles each of the

2011 Vieux Remparts, Châteauneuf-du-Pape

(Normally £17 a bottle, Aldi have it for £9.99.)

The 2008 Antiga Vigna, Amarone della Valpolicella

Can’t find anything on this, but such wines normally sell for between £21 and £35 a bottle. Aldi: £13.99! I’m really looking forward to tasting this.

And the 2008 Conventino, Borolo

Can’t find anything on this either, but would expect it to go for around £18 a bottle. Aldi are selling it for £9.99.

In ‘lieu’ of the Margaux, I picked up a bottle of the 2009 Château Dasvin-Bel-Air, Haut-Médoc, which ought not to be ‘too shabby’.

(Normally £12 -£15 a bottle, Aldi have it for £9.99. )

Thanks for the 'heads up' Marco - Nice one!
    Last edited by Barry; 13-12-2012 at 23:36.
    Barry

I'm john.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    No Margeau to be found ( ), but I did pick up a couple bottles each of the

2011 Vieux Remparts, Châteauneuf-du-Pape

(Normally £17 a bottle, Aldi have it for £9.99.)

The 2008 Antiga Vigna, Amarone della Valpolicella

Can’t find anything on this, but such wines normally sell for between £21 and £35 a bottle. Aldi: £13.99! I’m really looking forward to tasting this.

And the 2008 Conventino, Borolo

Can’t find anything on this either, but would expect it to go for around £18 a bottle. Aldi are selling it for £9.99.

In ‘lieu’ of the Margeau, I picked up a bottle of the 2009 Château Dasvin-Bel-Air, Haut-Médoc, which ought not to be ‘too shabby’.

(Normally £12 -£15 a bottle, Aldi have it for £9.99. )

Thanks for the 'heads up' Marco - Nice one!

Nice one barry crack a few bottles open and tell use what you think?

jon

I'm john.

Okies, do you want them all to be powerful, full-bodied types, or would you like half and half, along with some lighter 'fruity' red wines? Also, are you having a starter, such as fish or anything, or just one full-on meat and veg fest, and do you have a preference for wines from any particular country?

Marco.

Full on marco plenty of body..France BTW.

jon

Well, if you can find the Château Marquis D'Alesme Becker, Margaux, in Aldi, which I mentioned earlier (as shown below), then that would be ideal:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_27844.htm

*That* will be stunning!!

I'm not sure where you buy your wine from normally, so I'll throw some names at you of wines that will hit the spot, and you can seek them out.

If it's powerful, full-bodied (and French) that you like, then look for Pomerol, Haut-Médoc, St Emillion Grand Cru Classé, Château Latour, Saint Julien, Pauillac, Côtes de Bourg - these are all collectively known as 'Clarets', from the Bordeaux area of France, and are very intense in flavour, perfect for enjoying with all roast meats and game, although generally red meat is best with them.

The Rhône wines are also pretty intense and powerful, with of course the aforementioned Châteauneuf du Pape. Others of note are Vacqueyras, Crozes Hermitage, Côte Rôtie and Gigondas.

For pork loin and chicken, you could also consider some Burgundy types, such as Gevrey-Chambertin, Nuits-Saint-Georges, Pommard, Mercurey and Côte de Beaune. These are slightly lighter on the palate, but with bags of jammy fruit, and are less 'tannic' than the top Clarets.

If you can find it, you would also love a Lebanese wine called 'Château Musar'. It is unique and very special - definitely something different to blow your mind!

Our wine rack is full of this stuff at the moment, in readiness for Christmas and New year, so perhaps we could compare notes?

Hope this helps, or if you need any more advice, just ask!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread