+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: My "REAL SOUND" experiment.

I'm Andrew.

This one is dedicated to Brian and Jim, hi guys!

It's raining in Wakefield and nowt much is doing. So, I thought I'd listen to a little background music and update this thread. I don't post very much stuff nowadays as I'm pretty happy and content with the gear I've collected. The "REAL SOUND" experiment started out as a copy-cat experience which was inspired by Jeff Day over on his webpage and to this day I've maintained a "REAL SOUND" system , manly just for fun, but of late, I've started to collect and experiment with older recordings after realising that their is a wealth of music which can be bought very cheaply and in some instances sound amazing. My REAL SOUND experiment has morphed over the years from using solid state Quad 405 amplification, through to Radford pre and power amplification with NIOS MULLARD ECC83's and EL34's. The system now compromises of a Radford SC25 Renaissance pre-amp fitted with NOS Mullard 8317's, power amp duties now belong to a no-name Italian 300b amplifier bought on AudioAddicts forum. The 300b amp, you will see some photos of this to the end of the post.

Vinyl spinning duties have gone to a NOS Thorens TD160 Super. I have made very small tweaks to the deck. Firstly, it now sits in a more massive Oak plinth and I have made a 25mm base board. Intrinsically it's the same as a normal TD160 super and retails all the tweaks the Thorens added and indeed many of which Thorens owners add to normal 160's. This deck came with a orginal SME metal tonearm board made. My SME 3009 needs a few spare parts (which have been ordered), namely so new mounting washers and isolation grommets. I'll be using a Shure V15 mk 3 with a new JICO https://www.jico-stylus.com/product/vn35he-sas-r/ at the moment it houses a NOS VN35HE which sounds lovely.

I've kept the original tinned copper tonearm cable and even the original SME made RCA connectors. As you can see from the picture we have a few treats install for the 160 Super. I have a NOS Thorens belt and I have ordered a new belt from a new seller on ebay which seems to be getting rave reviews, it's blue colour and promises are manner of improvements, we shall see! You can also see from the picture we have a new set of isolation grommets and springs for the suspension. I already have good pistonic bounce but we can always experiment and see if we can get things to sound better. I have also made a set of 3 platter isolation dots which suposedly decouple the platter and improve things, again, we shall see.

The deck has the heavily damped Thorens TD160 platter mat which no other 160 recieved. The platter bearing was the largest in the 160's, and the 160 Super had slightly improved figures over the 160 in bearing noise and rumble.

Those interested in Thorens deck can learn a lot more from this excellent German site.

http://thorens-info.de/html/thorens_..._145_-_14.html

The Radford is an amp that I've owned for quite sometime, recently fettled and slightly upgraded it's got the best ever ECC83 made, the 8137, some would argue Telefunken are better but I love these English valves.

Finally, and itch, scratched. An amp with 300b valves. The 300b valve is probably the most expensive bottle you can buy for an amp, prices in some instances reaching 5 figures, simply stupid. I've always liked Gold Lion valves and these are no exception, they have some hours on them and sound very nice indeed. One day, I may buy a pair of Elrog's, or even the new Western Electric remakes. Owing a 300b valve is also something I wanted to try out with my large Tannoy speakers. The amp has 4 & 8 ohm speaker taps at the back so offers a little chance for experimentation.

The whole system is cabled together with Duelund cabling and IC's. The whole system sits on a Quadrapsire mish/mash which was made from parts found in the garage and loft. We are nearly spinning, just got to wait for the SME parts to arrive for the 3009. Stay tuned..
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Great post Andrew.

Is the mirror finish of the top plate of your TD160 standard? Keeping it free of finger marks would drive me potty!

Apropos the fitting of the isolation washers to the SME arm baseplate, you might like to experiment with not using them and replace them with washers.

(Finally, you might like to replace "compromises" with "comprises".)
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Great post Andrew.

Is the mirror finish of the top plate of your TD160 standard? Keeping it free of finger marks would drive me potty!

Apropos the fitting of the isolation washers to the SME arm baseplate, you might like to experiment with not using them and replace them with washers.

(Finally, you might like to replace "compromises" with "comprises".)
    Thanks Barry, quite often, I'll type as I think. Spelling mistakes and incorrect word usage will crop up, but, I think that's part of the charm of the reply. The top plate is not standard. I only touch the records and we don't have any "little" fingers in the house so polishing is kept to a minimum.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

Great update Andy, I am particularly interested as my first turntable was a Thorens TD160 and my first power amp was a Quad 405-2 so I have an idea how these sound. I used a Croft Micro (First edition) as a preamp.

I expect your fettled set up sounded better as I did not even know how to properly set up a turntable back in 1986!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Great update Andy, I am particularly interested as my first turntable was a Thorens TD160 and my first power amp was a Quad 405-2 so I have an idea how these sound. I used a Croft Micro (First edition) as a preamp.

I expect your fettled set up sounded better as I did not even know how to properly set up a turntable back in 1986!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

Thanks Jim. I've had a few TD160's, about five at last count . I've never been a big belter fan since owning a LP12 and not liking the silly prices for upgrades. My head got turned 12 years ago with DD's and then about 10 years ago with Idlers, the rest is history. I've always thought the 160 and 3009 had a very very good synergy. The 160 Super is that little bit better. I've not gone donw the route of filling the sub-chassis with silent coat or anything like that, just left the original Thorens damping material in place. My old 405-2 had all the Net Audio upgrades and was fettled by Nick Gorham, I didn't like it, depsite being a Quad fan!! I'm not sure if it'll sound better than your old deck but at least I have a yard stick to work with and any upgrades/tweaks improving sound quality should be quite easily discernable. I still have a little further to go with this so I'll probably have a few more updates.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Fantastic post Andrew. That turntable is absolutely beautiful. I know you refurbish these turntables (and more) and I bet it's in tiptop condition.

I bet this system sounds fantastic. Thanks for sharing mate
    Thanks Brian. Not sure how it'll sound, I'm hoping to have some more fun and maybe give some people some pleasure in reading these posts whilst messing about with old decks. It's a win-win really.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Another night chilling out and anothe quick update...

Hi to everyone following this on going saga.... we will spin vinyl at some point.....

The system has been running but only on one channel and occasional output significantly lower than normal. Don Sherlock Holmes deerstalker and pipe garb. The hunt begins for a culprit, well sort of, I'm of an age now where I really can't be bothered checking old hifi and would sooner get a pro to check such things. The SME 3009 and tonearm cable has been sent to J7 @ Audio-Origami for full check and repairs (if needed). Speakers, speaker cable, IC's, pre and power amp all work, or have been working up until last nights trial run. So, process of elimination means its either the tonearm, tonearm cable, cartridge or cartridge tags/leads, two of these things are going to be checked out, I suspect the cartridge or cartridge tags/leads, but we shall see. I'm in no rush and to be honest this gives me some time to get the new springs and chasis isolation grommets fitted alongside fine tuning the suspension.

The 3009 did receive some new isolation grommets on the tonearm board and some nice new mounting screws, of which I had to scrape together from garage spares (again)! I'm hoping it's not the Shure V15 mk3, but I suppose it does give me an excuse to explore some of the vintage MM's with this setup. So, for the time being we have be grounded again, I suppose I'll just have to slum it with the Garrard 301 and wardrobe sized tannoys......
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Aw ya poor wee soul....havin to slum it with a 301 and big Tannoys Seriously though, there's nothing worse than a channel down and the problem isn't easy to find. I'm sure you'll get there sooner rather than later mate. Please keep us updated
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

I think I've found the culprit, a spent Mullard M8137 - too late now to be messing around, we have a fiddle tomorrow.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm James.

Where was the Mullard M8137 installed - preamp? I may have a contact who can help you out with a replacement?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast